ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canada Vs UK: Which is better ?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SHANKARK

Canada Vs UK: Which is better ?

Post by SHANKARK » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:14 am

Canada Vs UK : Which is better ?

Hi all,

I have posted this question in the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme(HSMP) section of this forum. Iam reposting here in Canada immigration section to get more ideas & comparisons about life in Canada & UK.

I recently obtained the Hsmp to UK and also to my surprise got my Canadian PR application approved as well which I filed two years ago. Medicals and other final procedures need to be completed now for me.

I am in a confusion on which one to really take as I have lived in the UK before for 3 years, earned my Masters degree in IT and worked for 2 years. Though I prefer Canada as it is direct PR, Iam bothered whether I will get proper accredition for my UK degree and prior UK work experience.

Iam quiet young in my carrier and will be seeking only a graduate level / Entry Level jobs once in Canda with my UK degree and work experience. Such roles are easy to get in the UK with my Hsmp, but not sure about canada as I have heard many complaining of non-recognition of their qualification and difficulty in finding jobs.

I understand Canada is a better place to live than the UK in many aspects like wider job opportunities, relatively easy access to US job market, better living standards and one fair immigration policy for all.

anyone have thoughts about comparisons of life in UK and Canada please post and share your experience. Thoughts on equal opportunities, facial discrimination & life in general in Canada are much appreciated.

Many Thanks

British

Post by British » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:30 am

relatively easy access to US job market,
Nope, that is not true! Just having a canadian PR does not give you rights to acces US job market. In fact, it does not give you any easy way to travel to US if you hold a visa-national Passport. You will need appropriate visas to enter the US.
better living standards and one fair immigration policy for all.
This may be true, but certainly life in the UK for immigrants have changed a lot these days - its very difficult (with chaotic, unreliable and inefficient immigration policies and system), and not only that: all immigrants (including legals) are seen as benefit theifs. I am not saying this: this is a radical (and appalling) statement made by John reid recently!

Others may disagree to my comments, but you will realise what i said is correct once you move in to UK. Please do bookmark my comments and you will say one day, yes you were right! :-)

SHANKARK

UK Vs Canada

Post by SHANKARK » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Mr.British, I am not new to Britain. I have lived and worked in Britain for over 3 years. From my experience, Iwill tell you it is very difficult to find a job in UK even with British qualifications if you require work permit. you wont even progress to the interview phase if they find out you require work permit.

An Hsmp is accepted by all employers in UK but its very difficult to satisfy for many ppl especially fresh passouts. Whilest such conditions prevail ppl are given free permit due to the EU expansion, UK ancestry which I find very discriminatory.

I agree ith you about the abusers of UK's benefit systems. I myself know a few cases. What I feel UK should do more is to tighten the noose of those who indulge and their ways and methods of doing it.

About the access to the US job market, what I meant was as a Canadian citizen with canadian passport.

British

Post by British » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:10 pm

Cool, so long as you know what UK is all about, then you are fine.

One other evidence of what UK is about is here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=14668

Of course, you might have read this already! :-)

kairos

Post by kairos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:23 am

Shankark, go to Canada.

I had more dearly beloved experiences in my first year of living in the UK than I had in 25 years of living in Canada. I'd move back myself but unfortunately, I work in the one industry that has more prospects in the UK than in Canada: the arts. Somebody working in IT will be so much happier in Canada. I can't comment too much about specific work opportunities but the overall standard of living is much higher. The UK's big cities will seem exciting and vibrant to you at first but you will never really belong here; the British will always find ways of reminding you that you're not really one of them (something that is reflected in policies that British has mentioned, but also effects daily interactions). In Canada you will be surprised at how quickly you are embraced. The entire national ideology is based around welcoming newcomers and celebrating diversity. My parents moved there from India thirty years ago and they're more comfortable in Toronto than they are in Delhi. It's far from perfect, but a lot closer to it than this angry little island.

rely

Re: Canada Vs UK: Which is better ?

Post by rely » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:27 am

SHANKARK wrote: Canada Vs UK : Which is better ?

Hi all,

I have posted this question in the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme(HSMP) section of this forum. Iam reposting here in Canada immigration section to get more ideas & comparisons about life in Canada & UK.

I recently obtained the Hsmp to UK and also to my surprise got my Canadian PR application approved as well which I filed two years ago. Medicals and other final procedures need to be completed now for me.

I am in a confusion on which one to really take as I have lived in the UK before for 3 years, earned my Masters degree in IT and worked for 2 years. Though I prefer Canada as it is direct PR, Iam bothered whether I will get proper accredition for my UK degree and prior UK work experience.

Iam quiet young in my carrier and will be seeking only a graduate level / Entry Level jobs once in Canda with my UK degree and work experience. Such roles are easy to get in the UK with my Hsmp, but not sure about canada as I have heard many complaining of non-recognition of their qualification and difficulty in finding jobs.

I understand Canada is a better place to live than the UK in many aspects like wider job opportunities, relatively easy access to US job market, better living standards and one fair immigration policy for all.

anyone have thoughts about comparisons of life in UK and Canada please post and share your experience. Thoughts on equal opportunities, facial discrimination & life in general in Canada are much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Since you have canadian visa in hand, therefore what you do is , go to Canada for a month or so complete immigration formalities, get your PR card and then come back to UK.You can legally stay out of Canada for 3 years after visa stamping.During this period if you like things then continue in UK otherwise go back to canada and kiss UK good bye for ever.Please note changin globalisation, population pattern and world economic scenario has brought things which are not favourable for UK.Their future seems to be bleak."Tube attack" & airline flight scare will be more in vogue because of the british govt policies.
rely

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Talk about hysteria...

So, rely,...the UK is a more dangerous place due to the terrorist attacks. It's probably more likely that you'd be killed by a drugged-up mugger in Toronto than blown up by a terrorist attack in London...come on...

I would say that, whilst some countries may seem more dearly beloved than others, it is really down to personal experiences. Many ethnic minorities get along just fine in the UK (or I should say, 'some parts of...'), you can't take the last two-odd years and call the British dearly beloved, like some people do. But I would say you'd experience beloved everywhere...

Shankark, it is up to which country you think provides a better future for yourself and family...Canada is a really nice country (so I hear!), and probably has better infrastructure than the UK; education is good too, standard of living good, etc, so it depends on whether you can secure a good job, and if you do, then decide to stay. When you become a Canadian citizen you can maybe go to the UK on a WHM or other visa category. But don't feel like you're missing out- both countries have positives and negatives.

If you went to a bona-fide British university, they will certainly accept your qualification.

SHANKARK

Canada Vs UK

Post by SHANKARK » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Thats right.. facial discrimination is basicaly down to personal experience but I can understand when someone says they are more comfortable in Toronto than in London.

On my findings, I feel Canada is better for long term settlement than the UK.

I am gonna try to secure a good job in London now with my Hsmp, see how it goes for another 1-2 years... During this period I can go to Canada complete the landing formalities and look for a job there as well..And then decide..Eventually I will have to leave one. Cant maintain both.

SHANKARK

UK Vs Canada

Post by SHANKARK » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Does anybody have information regarding overseas qualifications accreditions in Canada ? How can I get my Indian Bachelors degree & UK Masters degree (Both in IT) accredited in Canada ? Do I need to take up exams ? Is there any website that has any information on these ?

domurtag
Newly Registered

Post by domurtag » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:32 pm

I am currently working in IT in Canada, but I also spent a couple of years working in UK. Although I am Irish, I don't look or talk "foreign" to a British person, so didn't directly suffer from any facial discrimination. Nevertheless, I can say with certainty that beloved is a much bigger problem in the UK than here in Canada.

Leaving aside questions of beloved, I would strongly advise you to choose Canada. The overall quality of life here is vastly superior to the UK and there is a strong demand for IT workers

SHANKARK

UK Vs Canada

Post by SHANKARK » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi Domurtag, Thanks a lot for the advise...This is what I was looking for.. Perhaps one thing I will miss by leaving UK. That is GBP..LOL :lol:

ali_bolbol20

Post by ali_bolbol20 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 pm

According to research UK is among those top dearly beloved countries in the world! If not the most dearly beloved one! Its not my comment but it what book, research suggests!!!

According to the UK law you can live here and be from any religion you like etc… but according to British logic, if you don’t like main religion over here or language or don’t like to live like us why do you bother?? You are probably here to change us ha? **You are in trouble***

In Canada if a white man and a man from minority ethnic with exact skills apply for the same job the guy from minority group will be the priority and get the job!! in uk, you wish!!! There will be revolution going on if government allows such thing to happen!! As the guy just mentioned previously foreigners= thief’s

Those concepts are there because of what has happened in the past. Uk colonized many countries and brought their people here MAINLY for their own good for example economical benefits, in long term British people started comparing themselves against them and somehow got to the conclusion that we are superior to them etc…
Basically England is not like Canada or USA. England is only for English!! Ok?
Lol

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:35 pm

I haven't lived in Canada as a PR, but I have been staying there for weeks for projects (I was stationed in California). I have gotten my HSMP just last year and currently I am living in the UK and let me tell you: STAY in CANADA.

I had so many problems in the UK, right after I have just arrived. Getting one of the most basic thing in live, accomodation, can prove VERY tricky as evidenced on what happened to me here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=.

Another basic thing, opening a bank account, is extremely difficult but yet they're very primitive. Within 3 weeks of opening a savings account with Barclays, somebody got a hold of the ATM card AND the PIN BEFORE I even received it and cleaned out my bank account. It took TONS of paperwork for Barclays to process my fraud claim. For goodness sake, jsut LOOK at the cameras ont he ATM machine!

Finally, I second the statement that in UK I feel the white people at work are more dearly beloved. I've lived in Singapore, Indonesia, and US and I hardly experienced beloved towards me at work. On the street maybe, but that happens anywhere and there are always idiot on the street.

FInally, I was not allowed to get the handicapped "blue badge", which allows my wife, who is disabled, to park in handicapped parking spot. The City Council said because I do not received the government Disability Living Allowance, a scheme where they give money (allowance) to people who has disability. Well, I do NOT want the allowance, I need a permit to allow my wife to get IN and OFF from the car, seeing how the road and parking space is so small here it's impossible for somebody on a wheelchair to do so. I pointed to them that I am paying 40% tax, so at least 3% of that will go towards allowing get the blue badge permit?? They don't give a shit. Heck, even my friend in the US, who is disabled, CAN get the handicapped parking permit from DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicle) and he only pay about 25% tax. This situation applies only to me, but you can see what is the government policy towards foreigner.

I dreaded living here and I WILL move out from UK once I saved some money. I've sold everything in the US and the HSMP application and the move here has cost me more than US$ 20K (flight, shipping boxes, apartment deposit, temporary residence, buying home stuff, etc.) and I need to save up. Otherwise, I'd have leave the country within 2 months of living here.

I may consider going to Canada, but I want to see what's people take on this COMPARED to the UK.

Remember, my experience living in the UK is my PERSONAL experience and your mileage may vary. However, seeing all the problems that I've been having is something you can ponder.

British

Post by British » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Think of what will happen from next year, once hte ID card regime comes into law books and you have to get one... and the criminals get hold of it before even it reaches your address :-(

With ID cards stolen, your entire identity will be stolen in minutes and misused against you and you (the innocent) will be left behind to chase around to fill up all paperwork and deal with the nightmare of proving to the govt. that you are the innocent and get another card (and even if you do get back another card, would it be even useful???)

All the chaos begins soon once the "super intelligent idea" ID cards enters teh law books!!!!!!!! Watch out!!!!

ali_bolbol20

Post by ali_bolbol20 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:18 pm

oh ! sorry forgot to mention that one,

uk is also good place for thief's, asylum seekers and ofcourse english.
just not very fair place for tax payer thats all!!

even english people as soon as they become rich they are out of here... on their way to usa!!!!

have you checked the figure for British people who applied for citizenchip in usa/canada ?? its almost hit the max limit !!!

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Tue May 01, 2007 8:31 pm

The Canadian Permanent immigration by skilled worker?

Is that the system that required 67 points minimum and once achieved that you can live in Canada as a permanent resident provided your application has been approved?

and you can appy for citizenship after 3 years of residence in canada?

is this the one?

newuser
Newly Registered

Post by newuser » Sat May 05, 2007 9:17 pm

If you have a choice come to Canada.

UK is not recommended as you'll never be one of them, plus they're dearly beloved (policy, govt) and all.

Canada gives you citizenship after u live here for 3 yrs as a permanent resident.

Canada is the land of opportunities!

global gypsy

Canada and the UK

Post by global gypsy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 pm

I have lived in Canada and the UK. I feel it's a tough call between the two countries, other things being equal (i.e. you have secured a job, etc.)
While England is a small island with higher population density, crowded housing, etc., there's something to be said about an international city like London with lots of opportunities for career growth. Bu then again, there's lots more of land and nature that Canada offers, so lifestyle can be a big plus.

Suggest you go live in Canada for a while, and come to your own conclusions.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:04 am

ali_bolbol20 wrote:According to research UK is among those top dearly beloved countries in the world! If not the most dearly beloved one! Its not my comment but it what book, research suggests!!!
It's quite astonishingly rare to read so much ill-informed ranting in just one post!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Snowflake
Newly Registered

Post by Snowflake » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:05 pm

I concur! I've never before experienced so much hypocrisy...It's interesting to hear that so many think the UK is a dearly beloved paradise. This really isn't the case and I imagine seeing as this poster has completed her masters degree here and resided here for 3 years, she must like something about the place. Both UK and Canada have their positives and negatives.

"In Canada if a white man and a man from minority ethnic with exact skills apply for the same job the guy from minority group will be the priority and get the job!! in uk, you wish!!!"

*Surely positive discrimination is no better than the "beloved" you claim is going on everywhere in the UK. I think you're looking at things too negatively.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:42 pm

If you think of all the countries in the world where people are persecuted because of their religious or ethnic background, and then think of the fact that a lot of them come to the UK to claim asylum, the idea that the UK is one of the most dearly beloved countries in the world is ludicrous.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

gotstago
Newly Registered

I can't believe this is even a question..

Post by gotstago » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:31 pm

I was born in the UK and have lived here all my life, I am sure I will get accused of "grass is greener" syndrome for saying this. However I do not understand how you would compare Canada to the UK. If you move to the UK chances are you are going to go to London - London is already stupidly overpopulated, you can't move for the traffic be that on transport or on foot. It is also a horrible, dirty and soulless city and it is not exactly known for its warm and welcoming people. There is not much compassion amongst strangers. Canada is an absolutely stunning country with really nice people - it depends where you go of course, but even Toronto which is probably not quite the laid back place Vancouver might be, is still very pleasant and you will find plenty of people to make conversation with. As for work I can't comment on Canada, but I'd rather be poor in Canada than rich in England. This place is going more and more downhill by the day - for the time being I have to be here for proximity to family etc and that may be a consideration for others too. Go to Canada... I will join you as soon as my situation permits. England is a hell hole.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:28 pm

Hahaha London is stupidly overpopulated! I can agree with that one.
We do have to be careful about when we talk about beloved. I know of many African Americans who would tell you about beloved in the US. It all depends on where you're coming from. But there's something about Canada...even gets me excited.

I agree with gotstago, though. Britain is suffering from a density syndrome, especially London. It is really pathetic here; the place is totally cramped (and costly). Now I am not talking about "our country is too full no more immigrants!", but London is totally clogged up and dirty. And the tax system...it's like, what's the point of working or wanting to save up? Might as well be on the dole...

Canada, on the other hand, is a far bigger country with a sparse population and may not be suffering like London and other big cities in the UK. To me, Canada just seems "new" and young. Maybe more welcoming because of that.

But, I do and will always love Britain! Maybe I just feel comfortable here (not to say I won't leave my comfort zone), maybe because I "fit" in or whatever. I would rather stay and clean up the place than be a deserter and "leave the UK because it's turning into a dump." Talk about no duty to one's own. And that is the thing that bugs me the most about people that talk crap about the UK; act like it's the worst place ever but still want that lovely red book.

Kalugampitiya

Alberta vs Other counties in Canada which is better?

Post by Kalugampitiya » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:09 pm

Dear Sakura,
Would you pl be able to drop something about the subject. My brother and family almost finished with their process to Canada. I am researching which part of Canada better for new Comers? They both are lowers. I know they could not find same first instance. Have three little children. I believe education is ok because they are still little. Researching about Jobs, renting, tax, and weather. Etc.
Thank you very much.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Alberta vs Other counties in Canada which is better?

Post by sakura » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Kalugampitiya wrote:Dear Sakura,
Would you pl be able to drop something about the subject. My brother and family almost finished with their process to Canada. I am researching which part of Canada better for new Comers? They both are lowers. I know they could not find same first instance. Have three little children. I believe education is ok because they are still little. Researching about Jobs, renting, tax, and weather. Etc.
Thank you very much.
Unfortunately I know diddly squat about Canada so sadly I cannot help you that much. It goes without saying, though, that the best places would be the cities (like Toronto) if you want to work in law. Maybe go to some local government websites and find out about life there; that's always a good place to start. Education in Canada is very good; universities are well known, too (like McGill, Toronto, BC, Alberta), if that's what you wanted to know?

I guess for tax...again, try some official government websites (maybe Canada's version of Inland Revenue or something). I dunno about weather....you just get acclimatised to that one!