ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language and Knowledge of Life in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

basitali

Post by basitali » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi All,

Please can someone kindly answer my query. I'm applying for British Citizenship and want to know if I can use my Computer Science Master's Degree from London Metropolitan University to satisfy the requirement of English Language and Knowledge of Life in the UK?

I already passed my LIUK test at my ILR.

Please clarify as I cant find anything that say that UK Masters Degree is sufficient to satisfy English Language requirement.

Thanks,

BF

kundan
Newly Registered

Post by kundan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:01 pm

yes
[The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK.]
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk
[/quote]

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Your UK Masters degree will suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to your LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

royh

Re: English Language and Knowledge of Life in the UK

Post by royh » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 pm

basitali wrote:I already passed my LIUK test at my ILR.
If you already passed the LIUK test before 28th October surely that means you don't require the additional proof of a B1 English requirement.

If I apply for naturalisation after Oct 28th, but have passed the LIUK test before 28th October, I don't need to do this B1 test?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:26 pm

royh wrote:
basitali wrote:I already passed my LIUK test at my ILR.
If you already passed the LIUK test before 28th October surely that means you don't require the additional proof of a B1 English requirement.

If I apply for naturalisation after Oct 28th, but have passed the LIUK test before 28th October, I don't need to do this B1 test?
If you apply after 28/10, you need to meet the additional B1 requirement regardless when the LIUK test was passed.

royh

Post by royh » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:48 pm

thx, that's a downer. Shame GCSE's don't count.

All of them listed in the PDF just say contact the center with no info online on the Cambridge website about how much these tests costs.

Anyone know the cost of a test and which one they took? I notice some are far less available than others so maybe they're less popular due to costs/difficulty.

monzurul92
Newly Registered

Post by monzurul92 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi

Would a post graduate certificate course taught in english be sufficient for new B1 requirement?

Thanks

Imm2011
Newly Registered

Post by Imm2011 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi,

I am going to apply for citizenship after 28th October for myself, spouse and children. This is the request to guide me on the queries reagrding English Language and Life In UK requirement as below :-
1.Life in UK - Myself and My spouse had cleared LIUK in 2010 and submitted the same during our ILR in October-2012. I would like to know, if the same will be valid for our citizenship application after Oct-2013. Kindly advise.
2.After 2013, as we have to demonstrate English language, we have the following queries :-
◦Spouse has cleared English test(Speaking & Listening) at B1 Level from Trinity college and holds EDEXEL Level1 (Literacy & Numeracy). Will these be sufficient to demonstrate her English Language level as required for Naturalisation ?
◦I had progressed my ILR through WP+Tier1+Tier1 Extension+ILR and demonstrated my study was in English and claimed points during Tier1 and ILR. Do I need to demonstrate my knowledge on English level again?
◦Having said this, I had cleared ESOL- Level1 in GradeC(Listening & Speaking - Between Goold & Boarderline and Reading & Writing- Between weak & Borderline), from University of Cambridge in year 2003 from my home country. Will this be valid as an alternate option, if answer to first part is NO. Kindly advise.

Your support and valued feedback on above queries are much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

sysnerul
Newly Registered

Post by sysnerul » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi,

I've a similiar question wrt new KOLL requirement for naturalisation applicaiton after 28th October .

Applicants will be required to:
1. pass the Life in the UK test; and
2. have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification.

As per the KOLL requirements, following people are exempted from

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).

• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.

Both me and my spouse have a degree from India and the course was taught in English.

How do we prove that the course was taught in English ?

Can we submit the degree certificate that states the qualification attained or do I need to get a letter from the university that the course was taught in English like I did when I submitted by HSMP applicaiton

Could you please clarify my question

Really appreciate a quick response on this

Thanks,
S

tulip11

Post by tulip11 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 pm

royh wrote:thx, that's a downer. Shame GCSE's don't count.

All of them listed in the PDF just say contact the center with no info online on the Cambridge website about how much these tests costs.

Anyone know the cost of a test and which one they took? I notice some are far less available than others so maybe they're less popular due to costs/difficulty.
B1 CEFR fee is 125 £.

sikiliza69

Post by sikiliza69 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:30 am

sysnerul wrote:Hi,

I've a similiar question wrt new KOLL requirement for naturalisation applicaiton after 28th October .

2. have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification.

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

Both me and my spouse have a degree from India and the course was taught in English.

Can we submit the degree certificate that states the qualification attained or do I need to get a letter from the university that the course was taught in English like I did when I submitted by HSMP applicaiton

Thanks,
S
Unfortunately because your degree is from india as opposed to U.K or countries from annex A, you will have to go through the NARIC route

click for link:
http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/Default.aspx
If you met a B1 requirement for your PBS application (if applicable) then that will suffice.

If not your degree should suffice if it is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English.

To prove this, you need to submit a NARIC statement of comparability (click) with:

A certificate from the institution stating the medium of instruction for the degree was English

Or

A NARIC English Language Assessment (click)

And the degree certificate of course. You can get an idea if this will suffice by seeing if 10 points are awarded for your degree on the PBS calculator, if not, don't fret, just apply for the NARIC statement(s).

Last edited by D4109125 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

sysnerul
Newly Registered

Post by sysnerul » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.

In my case, I'd submitted the letter from my university that the course was taught in English when I first applied for my Tier 1 Visa - So I do not need to send that evidence again. Am I correct here ?

However for my spouse ,as you mentioned I would need to get the similiar letter from the university or else get an UK NARIS assessment certificate.

Thanks,
s

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:47 am

Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Imm2011
Newly Registered

Post by Imm2011 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 pm

It will be helpful if someone can advise on below.

Imm2011 wrote:Hi,

I am going to apply for citizenship after 28th October for myself, spouse and children. This is the request to guide me on the queries reagrding English Language and Life In UK requirement as below :-
1.Life in UK - Myself and My spouse had cleared LIUK in 2010 and submitted the same during our ILR in October-2012. I would like to know, if the same will be valid for our citizenship application after Oct-2013. Kindly advise.
2.After 2013, as we have to demonstrate English language, we have the following queries :-
◦Spouse has cleared English test(Speaking & Listening) at B1 Level from Trinity college and holds EDEXEL Level1 (Literacy & Numeracy). Will these be sufficient to demonstrate her English Language level as required for Naturalisation ?
◦I had progressed my ILR through WP+Tier1+Tier1 Extension+ILR and demonstrated my study was in English and claimed points during Tier1 and ILR. Do I need to demonstrate my knowledge on English level again?
◦Having said this, I had cleared ESOL- Level1 in GradeC(Listening & Speaking - Between Goold & Boarderline and Reading & Writing- Between weak & Borderline), from University of Cambridge in year 2003 from my home country. Will this be valid as an alternate option, if answer to first part is NO. Kindly advise.

Your support and valued feedback on above queries are much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 pm

LIUK remains valid. Wife's B1 test should be on the approved list and you should be ok, do you both have degrees taught in English?

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Guru

It looks like there is still alot of confusion about the test for english language and the not so clear documentation around as to who will and will not need to sit for one again.

One question here though:
Masters degree is not giving any points for English language on PBS calculator(which I believe works same as NARIC database?)

so does that mean :
there is no point getting a letter for NARIC english language ?

Coming from this :

Degrees taught in English
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal
speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide
appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered
automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be
required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK

and if it would work getting a letter from NARIC - would that mean this option to go ahead with --
A UK NARIC Statement of Comparability

any comments ?

http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/C ... fault.aspx
D4109125 wrote:LIUK remains valid. Wife's B1 test should be on the approved list and you should be ok, do you both have degrees taught in English?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:59 am

Don't fret if no points are given. Instead, apply for a NARIC statement of comparability and provide proof it was taught in English.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:30 am

Thank you again :
Stumbled upon one of your other excellent post:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 471#931471

From your replies will get two things sorted -
a) masters degree that shows on its face that the medium of instruction was english

and

b) get the statement of comparability from NARIC.

Phew and that should do then ..
D4109125 wrote:Don't fret if no points are given. Instead, apply for a NARIC statement of comparability and provide proof it was taught in English.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 pm

looks like this way will end up doing both - english and degree comparability as per the call center ppl ..and they dont have much info..just going about by the book .. so cannot answer anything other than that ..

as per them both of them will need to be covered.. :(
D4109125 wrote:Don't fret if no points are given. Instead, apply for a NARIC statement of comparability and provide proof it was taught in English.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 pm

sikiliza69 wrote:
sysnerul wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
S
Unfortunately because your degree is from india as opposed to U.K or countries from annex A, you will have to go through the NARIC route

click for link:
http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/Default.aspx
If you met a B1 requirement for your PBS application (if applicable) then that will suffice.

If not your degree should suffice if it is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English.

To prove this, you need to submit a NARIC statement of comparability (click) with:

A certificate from the institution stating the medium of instruction for the degree was English

Or

A NARIC English Language Assessment (click)

And the degree certificate of course. You can get an idea if this will suffice by seeing if 10 points are awarded for your degree on the PBS calculator, if not, don't fret, just apply for the NARIC statement(s).

Last edited by D4109125 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

My take on this is if the PBS calculator shows 10 points for your respective degree, then a printout of the same should suffice, there is no need to get Naric certify your degree ... Home office will get this verified on their database themselves.

Well if you don't see it there then its very unlikely Naric would certify but worth a try...

Imm2011
Newly Registered

Post by Imm2011 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 pm

D4109125 wrote:LIUK remains valid. Wife's B1 test should be on the approved list and you should be ok, do you both have degrees taught in English?
Hi Guru,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes for me degree (Master & Bachelor) were taught in English. I had already got the points for English language during my Tier1+Tier1 Exetnsion and ILR. Do I take the Tier1 & ILR approval letters to consider my English language qualification?

For my wife, she is not having degree in English. However she has L1 from EDEXEL and B1(Speaking & Listening) level from Trinity.
Will this be sufficient to demonstarte english knowledge?

Kindly advise.