ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR English Language Requirement from October 28th, 2013

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajee120

ILR English Language Requirement from October 28th, 2013

Post by rajee120 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding my ILR application and English Language requirements from October 28th 2013. I would be applying for my ILR with my wife in Mid November 2013. I read that from October 28, 2013 there will be additional requirement to prove English Language ability.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

1) Main Applicant: I am in Tier 2 General and I switched to Tier 2 General from Tier 2 ICT in March 2011. During my Tier 2 General application I claimed 10 points for English Language by showing My Degree was taught in English and my university/degree was/is listed in UKBA Points Calculator (approved by UK NARIC). But I am not sure whether requirement at that time was to have English language proficieny at A1 CEFR or B1 CERF?

Do I need to anything further to prove my English language proficiency for ILR?

2) Dependant Applicant: My wife would also apply with me and her Degree was taught in English and her university/degree is listed in UKBA Points Calculator (approved by UK NARIC). But she did not have to prove English language proficieny anytime before. Is her english degree enough to prove English Language proficiency for my wife?

Official statement from UKBA says below:

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.

I also read the below statement from UKBA website.

-------------
You can score points if the points-based calculator confirms that:
your degree is the same level as a UK bachelor's degree; and
the degree was taught to a competent standard of English equivalent to level C1 on the Common European Framework for Reference (CEFR).
--------------

Does this mean as long as the degree is in points calculator I will have proved my English language proficiency in C1 CERF?

In case if I and my wife need to get a certificate from UK NARIC, which certificate should I get? English Language assessment certificate or Statement of Comparability? I called UKBA and UK NARIC aswell and they have not been affirmative on this and said it is the discretion of case worker to accept any documentary evidence (which is even more confusing).

Regards,
Rajesh

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:11 pm

rajee120 PM wrote:I am applying for my ILR with my wife in Mid November. As everyone, I am terribly confused about the English Languauge Requirements.

I am in Tier 2(General) visa. I switched to Tier 2 (General) in March 2011 and was in Tier 2 ICT since December 2008.

I am not sure whether I proved my English Language at B1 CEFR during my Tier 2 (General) application but I claimed 10 points for English by presenting my degree certificate. My wife did not have to prove anything as she was dependant to me. We both have degrees taught in English and showing up in UKBA points calculator and awarding 10 points for English.

However, I have decided to apply for UK Naric statement of comparability for both me & my wife. My question is my wife has a graduate & post graduate degree done in India. Do I need to get UK Naric certificate for both degrees are just Bachelors or Masters is sufficient. I do have a letter from her university where she did Bachelor stating her medium of instruction (English).

Can you please help?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Just one degree will suffice and yes proof it was taught in English.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am

rajee120 wrote:Hello All,

I need a quick clarification regarding the evidence of cohabitation.

My wife came to UK in August 2010 and living here with me in UK for 3+ years. We are applying for ILR next month. I read that I should provide 12 letters from 3 different source over the last 2 years for me and my wife to prove cohabitation.

I and my wife have separate bank accounts, credit cards, UK driving license and registered with our new address. We have house tenancy agreement and UK council tax in our joint names.

We have changed our house 1.5 years ago and there are few correspondence/letters sent to me and my wife to our old address like NHS registration card, Poll card, National Insurance card from DWP.

Can I use the letters sent our old address to prove evidence of cohabitation?

Regards,
Rajesh
wpilr_nov12 wrote:yes