ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New English Requirement after 28th October Thread.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sikiliza69

New English Requirement after 28th October Thread.

Post by sikiliza69 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:10 am

Proposal for sticky/separate thread to be reviewed by Mods/Admin or Members.

As this new requirementdraws closer, more and more threads with similar queries seem be asked on a daily basis. Would it be appropriate, pending an official publication from the HO, to provide temporary sticky or thread to address this issue?

Changes to the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for
settlement and naturalisation

NARIC services

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:46 am

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mingon
Newly Registered

Post by mingon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 am

And if there are any recommendations on which tests to take (based on immediate availability/time to obtain results/cost/location) that'd be great.

P.S: I personally find sitting an English test after being in the UK/working/paying taxes for 6 years ridiculous, but yeah well, what can we do ?

royh

Post by royh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 pm

mingon wrote:I personally find sitting an English test after being in the UK/working/paying taxes for 6 years ridiculous, but yeah well, what can we do ?
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

I just found the small print does provide exceptions:
"
We will consider whether a similar provision should be introduced for those here on the basis of long residence or private life.
"

"
Refugees and those with humanitarian protection will continue to be exempt from the requirement in recognition of their continued need for protection. For the present we will continue to exempt those granted discretionary leave (DL), although we will consider this further and keep this position under review.
"

"
provisions to enable individuals who have been in the UK for 15 years with limited leave as a partner, child or parent, or as a dependant of HM Forces personnel, or as a dependant of a PBS migrant or work permit holder, to apply for settlement on the basis of an English language speaking and listening qualification at A2 CEFR and without passing the Life in the UK test.

They will, however, need to produce evidence from a suitably qualified person, for example a teacher of English for Speakers of Other Languages, that it is not reasonable to expect them to reach B1 English.
"
^ I would like to know with hypothetical examples how someone would be exempt (assuming that's what it says) from taking the LIUKT and English test.

Seems like I fulfill at least two things. I came here under refugee status under my parents passport way over 15 years ago, grew up here, went to school etc, never left the country (except for a day trip to France in secondary school (as part of a school trip) in the early 1990's). I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I recall being granted ILR in 1984.

I don't understand the testimony requirement though, seems like a hassle getting into contact with a school teacher who is probably dead/can't remember you etc. Perhaps I can get by solely on refugee status? I already took the LIUKT though (spent over £120 on it cos I came 4 minutes early - which is still late for one appointment) :(