ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

India Visit after Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dkesari
Newly Registered

India Visit after Naturalisation

Post by dkesari » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Experts,

I have got a questiona round visiting India after my naturalization.

I got naturalized on 1st October and got my british passport on 14th October. I am planning to visit India in november for a month.

Can I still use my Indian passport to go to India as per Indian Citizenship grace period for 90 days?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Deepak

VR

Yes

Post by VR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Deepak,

You can carry both the passports and travel. But remember to surrender your Indian passport before 90 days or you will get fined.

Also may I ask you , after you got your naturalization on 1st October did you submit your passport application in person? as you have got it quite quickly.

Could you kindly write the process you followed so that others can benefit.
How you applied? Postoffice or direct.
What supporting docs you attached.
In case you went to the Indian embassy directly (which embassy) what are the timings and process for submission and collection of your passport.
cheers
vr

dkesari
Newly Registered

Post by dkesari » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

The passport application was submitted by Passport Check and Send Service. I don't think you go to Indian embassy to apply for biritish passport.

I was just wondering, when I enter India with my Indian passport, do I need to leave india with Indian passport as well with stamping done on it at immigration check?

Thanks.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm

You will need to show the passport on which you booked the tickets.
If you booked tickets on Indian Passport then on return this can be tricky, as your Indian passport will not show ILR sticker, and airline staff may be funny asking for UK visa and if you show your UK passport, they may ask further questions as to why you hold two passport etc, so best is you show ILR BRP card while boarding return plane. When you land here you just stand in uk passport queue and show your british passport.

Anyone else please confirm, as what is best to book tickets to India, Indian passport or British passport?

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Easiest and safest is to just maintain how its been for last few years...

i.e. use Indian passport all along and your ILR BRP for visa validation as before. Only carry your British passport if you wish to and donot use it anywhere just to avoid confusion, though it may be easier to get on the UK passport queue when you land in UK :)

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Spot on Sunil.suneel.
I have read few people here standing in citizen queue with other country passport and immigration officer are able to confirm their citizenship and allowed in.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 pm

do UKBA not take your ILR card back when you have British Passport?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:20 pm

No