ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home office reply for English language requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Home office reply for English language requirement

Post by BalajiSundaram » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:27 am

Reply mail from Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office
--------------------------------

Dear Sir,

An applicant can use their degree (not a professional or vocational qualification) if it was taught or researched in English to demonstrate that they meet the English language element of the KOLL requirement. Applicants can claim points for their English language skills using the points based calculator, which holds information that is regularly updated by UK NARIC, regarding Educational qualifications. The calculator can confirm that the degree:
∙ meets or exceeds the equivalent level to UK Bachelors degree; and
∙ was taught to a competent standard of English equivalent to, or higher than level B1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).
Therefore where an applicant submits evidence from the online points-based calculator, showing that they have been awarded 10 points in the English language section for their degree; and provides the original certification of that degree, they can tick the box on the application form, stating that NARIC has confirmed that their English skills are at or above level B1.

Kind regards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 25 October 2013 12:30
To: Settlement Ops Policy Mailbox
Subject: Settlement Knowledge of language (New rule effective 28th November 2013) query - Tier 1 General category

Dear Settlement Ops Policy Team,

I have been in the UK legally from 06-Oct-2007, for almost 6 years.

I would like to get clarification on applying for ILR, based on the new rule effective 28th November 2013 regarding knowledge of language requirement.

I have done my Bachelors of Engineering degree from one of the university in India, this university is recognized in points based calculator (PBS) and I have already proved my English language requirement when I applied for my initial Tier 1 General visa in the year 2009.

My query is do I need to prove my knowledge of English for my settlement? If yes, would a letter from the university stating the medium of education for my bachelors degree was taught in English and original Bachelors degree certificate is sufficient?

Is it mandatory to submit UK NARIC statement of comparability certificate for my bachelors degree while I apply for my settlement as my degree and university is recognized in the Points based calculator (PBS) ?

Please would you clarify this? Your response will help me immensely, and I appreciate your time and consideration very much for the same.

Kind Regards
Balaji Sundaram

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!!! Thanks.

MK123

Thanks.

Post by MK123 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks Balaji, that's good news. Don't need to waste another £50 to UK NARIC.

karthi305
Newly Registered

Post by karthi305 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 am

Great News Thanks

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:54 am

Thank You Balalji. I hope this is the same for ILR dependants(Tier 1 General) as well.

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:03 pm

manimaran wrote:Thank You Balalji. I hope this is the same for ILR dependants(Tier 1 General) as well.
I believe so. However emailed them back this to confirm..
-------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. From your email, I can understand now that an applicant can use the PBS calculator to prove his English language requirement for settlement and doesn't require a UK NARIC to certify his degree. However I have a dependent applying with me for settlement and can the dependent use the same PBS calculator to show that she has met the English language requirement through her degree or does she need to get a statement of comparability from UK NARIC. As I understand the PBS calculator is used only for the main applicant. My dependent has a bachelors and masters degree both are recognized in the PBS calculator when i tried it. Please could you kindly advise on this?

Thank you once again.

Warm Regards

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 pm

thanks Balaji

that is a great piece of news.

It is however strange - i called Croydon PEO again and they say they are not accepting PBC printout (points based calculator) for English Language for settlement (they say calculator has nothing to do with this) and they require UK NARIC comparability letter and English language letter from Univ.

Policy making team probably hasn't communicated their decision to the executives. What if someone applies on PBC alone and is refused - still a risk.

We may have to wait for official updated guidance somewhere.

Amber - your thoughts, do you agree?

Thanks
tier1munda

adnan742
Newly Registered

Post by adnan742 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:19 pm

I've a confusion over here that if someone provided IELTS test when making first tier-1 application, do they need to take English test again as IELTS certificate expire in 2 years? in policy guideline it's mentioned that you don't need to provide english language certificate if you already provided when making first application but the new forms that published on 28th october'2013 don't have this option to tick?

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:22 pm

tier1munda wrote:thanks Balaji

It is however strange - i called Croydon PEO again and they say they are not accepting PBC printout (points based calculator) for English Language for settlement (they say calculator has nothing to do with this) and they require UK NARIC comparability letter and English language letter from Univ.

Policy making team probably hasn't communicated their decision to the executives. What if someone applies on PBC alone and is refused - still a risk.

Thanks
tier1munda
Well, I have decided to print this email as a proof and take it with me while I apply for my settlement. Also I will call up the Croydon customer service and say them that Home office has emailed and confirmed that we could use PBS for settlement. I hope then the PEO would gives the correct information going forward....

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks Balaji, you are a star, please share your experience when you get ILR. All the best! When are you applying?

BalajiSundaram wrote:

Thanks
tier1munda
Well, I have decided to print this email as a proof and take it with me while I apply for my settlement. Also I will call up the Croydon customer service and say them that Home office has emailed and confirmed that we could use PBS for settlement. I hope then the PEO would gives the correct information going forward....

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:07 pm

tier1munda wrote:Thanks Balaji, you are a star, please share your experience when you get ILR. All the best! When are you applying?

BalajiSundaram wrote:

Thanks
tier1munda
No problem. I will be applying by December 2013.

I have contacted the Croydon customer service and they have noted down all the details and they said they will cross check their information with the home office and give me a call.

Before I complete this email, I had a call from the Croydon customer service, to add more mess they said they would still need the UK NARIC to provide the statement of comparability despite having this email from Home office.

I have read them clearly the email and they said I could take a print out of this email and take it with me for my settlement. The lady on phone said that I can explain why I'm not providing the UK NARIC certificate on a covering letter stating that I had received a communication from Home office that PBS calculator is sufficient to prove the English requirement.

I don't know what's going on.. Looks like there is a complete communication gap or wrong advise floating around.. At this stage I would advise every one to use caution with this email confirmation I have received.

Thanks

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks Balaji, hopefully all goes well for you and also we get some clarity in terms of new guidance or something.

Shall reiterate what you said - use a bit of caution until we have something concrete in guidance.
BalajiSundaram wrote:
tier1munda wrote:Thanks Balaji, you are a star, please share your experience when you get ILR. All the best! When are you applying?

BalajiSundaram wrote:

Thanks
tier1munda
No problem. I will be applying by December 2013.

I have contacted the Croydon customer service and they have noted down all the details and they said they will cross check their information with the home office and give me a call.

Before I complete this email, I had a call from the Croydon customer service, to add more mess they said they would still need the UK NARIC to provide the statement of comparability despite having this email from Home office.

I have read them clearly the email and they said I could take a print out of this email and take it with me for my settlement. The lady on phone said that I can explain why I'm not providing the UK NARIC certificate on a covering letter stating that I had received a communication from Home office that PBS calculator is sufficient to prove the English requirement.

I don't know what's going on.. Looks like there is a complete communication gap or wrong advise floating around.. At this stage I would advise every one to use caution with this email confirmation I have received.

Thanks

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:49 pm

How about the exemption for those who met english requirement at EC as written in KOLL appendixv- immigration rules.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... endixkoll/
2.1 An applicant for leave to enter or remain has sufficient knowledge of the English language and about life in the United Kingdom for the purpose of an
application for indefinite leave to enter or remain made under these Rules if the requirements set out in paragraphs 2.2 and 2.3 are met unless the exceptions set out in Part 3 apply.

For the purposes of paragraph 2.1, an applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language if:

2.2(b) the applicant-

(i ) has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK, and

(ii) that leave (or a grant of leave which preceded it provided any periods of leave since have been unbroken) was given on the basis that the applicant had an English language qualification at a minimum level of B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

suds19

Post by suds19 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm

This is good stuff Balaji. By the way what is the email address for "Settlement Ops Policy Mailbox". I thought this mailbox was no longer accepting enquiries.

What is Croydon's customer enquiry number?

Thanks

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm

suds19 wrote:This is good stuff Balaji. By the way what is the email address for "Settlement Ops Policy Mailbox". I thought this mailbox was no longer accepting enquiries.

What is Croydon's customer enquiry number?

Thanks
I wrote an email to this id: settlementopspolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Croydon PEO phone # 0870 606 7766

suds19

Post by suds19 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Balaji, how long settlement ops policy team took to respond to your email. I have sent one but haven't got any response yet.
If I get a reply I can take print of that with my ILR application.
Is it possible to forward the email that you have pasted in your initial post if I pm my email-id. I can use that email as well with my application.

Thanks

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:36 pm

BalajiSundaram wrote:
manimaran wrote:Thank You Balalji. I hope this is the same for ILR dependants(Tier 1 General) as well.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. From your email, I can understand now that an applicant can use the PBS calculator to prove his English language requirement for settlement and doesn't require a UK NARIC to certify his degree. However I have a dependent applying with me for settlement and can the dependent use the same PBS calculator to show that she has met the English language requirement through her degree or does she need to get a statement of comparability from UK NARIC. As I understand the PBS calculator is used only for the main applicant. My dependent has a bachelors and masters degree both are recognized in the PBS calculator when i tried it. Please could you kindly advise on this?

Thank you once again.

Warm Regards
Just had a reply from Home office for my above query. Hope this helps.

Dear Sir,

The points calculator is designed for PBS migrants, however if a non-PBS applicant is able to confirm using the calculator that their degree is comparable to a UK degree, and that they have been awarded 10 points for English skills, then they can submit a print out of the calculator’s assessment of their points, together with their original degree certificate, as evidence that they have met the English language element of the KOLL requirement.

Regards

t_india

Post by t_india » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:55 am

BalajiSundaram wrote:
BalajiSundaram wrote:

Hi,

Thank you once again.

Warm Regards

Dear Sir,

The points calculator is designed for PBS migrants, however if a non-PBS applicant is able to confirm using the calculator that their degree is comparable to a UK degree, and that they have been awarded 10 points for English skills, then they can submit a print out of the calculator’s assessment of their points, together with their original degree certificate, as evidence that they have met the English language element of the KOLL requirement.

Regards

Thanks for this Balaji,
Do you mind passing on the emails for main / dependants from UKBA to me, so that i can use that as a proof as well :-)

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 am

BalajiSundaram wrote:
BalajiSundaram wrote:

Hi,

Thank you once again.

Warm Regards

Dear Sir,

Regards
Thank You very much Balaji. I think this will help a lot of us when applying for ILR with dependants

Cheers,
Mani

kmahere
Newly Registered

Post by kmahere » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Moderators, Please can this thread be make a sticky. thanks!

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi All,

How do I access the points calculator for PBS migrants?

Kindly post the link?
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:54 pm

t_india wrote:
BalajiSundaram wrote:
BalajiSundaram wrote:

Hi,

Thank you once again.

Warm Regards

Dear Sir,

Regards

Thanks for this Balaji,
Do you mind passing on the emails for main / dependants from UKBA to me, so that i can use that as a proof as well :-)
Thanks a lot for the wonderful Information, Could you please paste the Email from the UKBA department as shown in your response above obviously with your recipient email removed so that we can Print it out and include with any application if required?

suds19

Post by suds19 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Balaji,
It would be good to have the exact copy from the UKBA two emails pasted here (after removing your email-id). Others can use it as reference also saves your time from private messages.

I'm posting response to my email here, hope it helps -
=============================================
From: "Knowledge Of Life Policy Queries" <KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk>

Dear Sir,

There are a number of ways in which an applicant can demonstrate how they meet the English language requirement, and the SET(O) form asks them to tick the box that applies to them.

If they have a degree that was taught or researched in English, and have been awarded 10 points for English language on the points based calculator, they can submit evidence from the calculator as confirmation that their degree is recognised by UK NARIC, and that their English is at level B1. They will also need to submit their original degree certificate for which they claimed these points.

I trust this addresses your concerns.

Regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Sent: 04 November 2013 21:10
To: Settlement Ops Policy Mailbox
Subject: Settlement Knowledge of language (New rule effective 28th October 2013) query - Tier 1 General category

Dear Settlement Ops Policy Team,

I would like to make an enquiry about settlement policy related to knowledge of language requirement new rule effective 28th October 2013.

My query is do Tier-1 category ILR applicants need again to give evidence of knowledge of English for their settlement application?

The Tier-1 category applicants would have already met English requirements during initial EC application. Also in the Tier-1 extension applications, there is a check-box -> "You are currently in the United Kingdom as a Tier 1 (General) migrant, or as a HSMP participant and have previously satisfied the English Language requirement".

But no such check-box has been provided in new settlement SET(O) form effective 28th Oct.

Can applicants do this -> an applicant can submit evidence from the online points-based calculator, showing that they have been awarded 10 points in the English language section for their degree; and provides the original certification of that degree, they can tick the box on the SET(O) application form, stating that NARIC has confirmed that their English skills are at or above level B1?

So a print of online PBS calculator and original degree certificate would be sufficient?

Could you also please confirm this statement - "Applicants can claim points for their English language skills using the points based calculator, which holds information that is regularly updated by UK NARIC, regarding Educational qualifications. The calculator can confirm that the degree:
∙ meets or exceeds the equivalent level to UK Bachelors degree; and
∙ was taught to a competent standard of English equivalent to, or higher than level B1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). "

Please would you clarify this new rule. Your response will help me and others immensely, and I appreciate your time and consideration very much for the same.

Kind Regards
Sudhanshu Kumar
=============================================

suds19

Post by suds19 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Moderators,

Can we make this a sticky post as this thread can help many.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:21 pm

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.