ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement - NCS

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Adojay

English Language Requirement - NCS

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi All,

Just back from NCS where I had appointment booked for my BC checks before submission. Everything was OK for my wife and son, but I had some issues regarding;

1. Gaps between when old passport expired and when the new one was re-issued. They said I have to provide proof I was in the country between those periods. This could be confirmed using P60, payslips or letter from employer.

2. I had a degree from overseas, and in 2007 when I applied for HSMP, there was a requirement to confirm using UK NARIC or obtain a letter from institution if degree was taught in English Language. I chose the latter (the easier option) and got a letter from the school's Registrar office that degree was indeed taught in English. That was accepted by HO, and I was granted HSMP visa at the time.

Until now, I was of the opinion that should still suffice for the new language requirement now that I am applying for BC. Unfortunately, I was informed they would not accept it, and I have to get confirmation only from UK NARIC.

Does anyone have contrary opinion, or was it just me that failed to do the right thing?
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I managed to speak with someone in HO to complain on why I needed to get my degree assessed by NARIC as being taught in English, despite obtaining a letter from my university at the time of initial HSMP application. She said the assessment carried out by NARIC is 2 fold;

1. To assessment the quality of my degree. This is to confirm it meets UK standards.

2. To assessment it was taught in English Language.

This is utterly ridiculous! I asked her why NARIC would need to assess the quality of my degree. That in itself is too late anyway. What do they stand to benefit by that? Am already in the country and been working based on my degree. Secondly, I don't even need a degree to apply for naturalization. Do I? My wife doesn't have a degree, but did the B1 test for spoken and listening ability, and she was already to submit. The lady clearly doesn't know what she's talking about. There is a part quote from UKBA website which clearly states that "nationals of majority English speaking countries (see Annex A of Statement of Intent) and those who have obtained a degree taught in English will continue to be considered as automatically meeting the English language component". I clearly fall into those who have obtained a degree taught in English. It doesn't say it must be from a UK university.

Are there any member with this experience?

- Vince Lombardi

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:41 pm

I have now moved these posts to http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 004#941004 for continuity.

- Vince Lombardi

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree with your views, unfortunately, due to confusing form published by UKBA & unless NCS workers get clear instructions, this will happen for next few days atleast, I'm expecting to see more & more such cases.

As an alternative, you can submit application yourself, however if you don't want to post originals, then you can get them certified by lawyer & submit application by them.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks p2kin.

The problem is I don't want to submit originals at all. I'll wait and see how this pans out in the next few weeks.

- Vince Lombardi

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Adojay wrote:Thanks p2kin.

The problem is I don't want to submit originals at all. I'll wait and see how this pans out in the next few weeks.
You still have an option of submitting via solicitor, they'll certify copies of your original documents & you can keep originals. Just that you'll have to pay them bit more compared with NCS fees.

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi, Me and My wife both are on ILR , she was on spouse of Tier1 Applicant visa before ILR , I can understand that if I produce the PBS calculator points and a letter from University should be enough for me as UKBA has been awarding me 35 points for my degree from the very first day. My question is as My wife got same degree , same course , same university and same year (we both were class fellows), Are these documents (I will get her letter from uni as well ) work for her naturalization as well or she have to do those stupid English courses.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:12 pm

sharjeelpk wrote:Hi, Me and My wife both are on ILR , she was on spouse of Tier1 Applicant visa before ILR , I can understand that if I produce the PBS calculator points and a letter from University should be enough for me as UKBA has been awarding me 35 points for my degree from the very first day. My question is as My wife got same degree , same course , same university and same year (we both were class fellows), Are these documents (I will get her letter from uni as well ) work for her naturalization as well or she have to do those stupid English courses.
There's no need to do the English test. Just send your degree certs and letters from UNi confirming learning was carried out in English to UK NARIC. They will carry out their so called assessment and send you the result. At a cost though :(

- Vince Lombardi

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:16 pm

NARIC certification may not be required if your degree is recognised on PBS calculator. However do take print out of PBS calcultor showing that it awards you 10 points for English language.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=150136

JPB

Re: English Language Requirement - NCS

Post by JPB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi
I note your experiencing the same problem with NCS staff. Please note that this staff receive basic training and are not supposed to provide any advice. I have a client of ours who we sent to the ncs and was told something similar at the ncs that her post graduate certificate in UK was not accepted and her application will fall for refusal. The said post graduate had been accepted on the point based calculator for the UKBA. The Ncs made her sign a statement saying they had advised her about that and that her application will fall for refusal. She agreed and signed after she had made our office a call. She received her naturalisation in post without any hardships.
We also had a similar issue where the NCS wanted a naric letter alongside the overseas degree , and again it was the same procedure and the applicant got his naturalisation. So i think people should ensure they read the guidance notes and website and inquire from relevant professionals. I hope this is helpful.

Dr MS

Post by Dr MS » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:16 pm

JPB wrote:Hi
I note your experiencing the same problem with NCS staff. Please note that this staff receive basic training and are not supposed to provide any advice. I have a client of ours who we sent to the ncs and was told something similar at the ncs that her post graduate certificate in UK was not accepted and her application will fall for refusal. The said post graduate had been accepted on the point based calculator for the UKBA. The Ncs made her sign a statement saying they had advised her about that and that her application will fall for refusal. She agreed and signed after she had made our office a call. She received her naturalisation in post without any hardships.
We also had a similar issue where the NCS wanted a naric letter alongside the overseas degree , and again it was the same procedure and the applicant got his naturalisation. So i think people should ensure they read the guidance notes and website and inquire from relevant professionals. I hope this is helpful.

Hi JPB,

I was trying to book an appointment with Ealing NCS today and they asked me to get a certificate from NARIC, do you think it will be okay if I submit a printout from the points-based calculator with a copy from my original degree certificate as per UKBA guidance?

https://www.gov.uk/english-language

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

royh

Post by royh » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 am

JPB wrote:I note your experiencing the same problem with NCS staff. Please note that this staff receive basic training and are not supposed to provide any advice.
Yes, that would make sense.