ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surname incorrect on Citizenship Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

forbc123

Surname incorrect on Citizenship Certificate

Post by forbc123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am

Dear all,
I just collected my baby registration certification to my surprise her surname is mistaken for middle name. The council asked me to write to Liverpool before applying for UK passport

Has any body faced it before and how long corrections take, any idea what address should I send this.

Kindly help
Last edited by forbc123 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:55 pm

please - can some body advice

the address given to me from council shows ' P O BOX' and address on UKBA and gove.uk is different

Gov.uk says i need to pay £94 to make correction....very confused..has anybody dealt with such situations before?

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm

forbc123 wrote:please - can some body advice

the address given to me from council shows ' P O BOX' and address on UKBA and gove.uk is different

Gov.uk says i need to pay £94 to make correction....very confused..has anybody dealt with such situations before?
Last year HO made an error on my son certificate placing his middle name as his last name. We kept a copy of the certificate and send the original back. They corrected everything in around 2 weeks, then we applied for his passport with the new certificate. No money paid as it was HO error. Look on the letter you received with the certificate and this should say where to post it as I can't recall the postal address we use.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Heisgood wrote:

Last year HO made an error on my son certificate placing his middle name as his last name. We kept a copy of the certificate and send the original back. They corrected everything in around 2 weeks, then we applied for his passport with the new certificate. No money paid as it was HO error. Look on the letter you received with the certificate and this should say where to post it as I can't recall the postal address we use.
Council took my approval letter I don't know why - but they gave me an address to write to

Can you please tell me if you have enclosed only photocopy of passport and Original BC registration certificate, anything else?

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 pm

forbc123 wrote:
Heisgood wrote:

Council took my approval letter I don't know why - but they gave me an address to write to

Can you please tell me if you have enclosed only photocopy of passport and Original BC registration certificate, anything else?
I sent a copy of passport (as we needed to travel), original certificate and a letter stating the obvious error. I copied the certificate before sending it as stated previously.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

VR

Correction

Post by VR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:15 pm

forcbc,

A friend of mine is waiting. Yes it was a Liverpool Post Box address mentioned in the HM Passport Letter. In his case they did not return the Original Passport submitted so left in the limbo.

As far as I know it has been two weeks now and he is waiting to get the amended Certificate back.The mistake was clearly the Home Office's as he retained a copy of the Form AN submitted. I do not think if it is not your mistake you need to pay the fees.

What he said is there is no other avenue to contact them. He sent the original certificate with a copy of his passport bio data and a covering letter.

Good Luck. Hope u get back the Cert amended quickly. Will update as I follow up with him during the weekend.
cheers
vr

forbc123

Re: Correction

Post by forbc123 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 pm

VR wrote:forcbc,

A friend of mine is waiting. Yes it was a Liverpool Post Box address mentioned in the HM Passport Letter. In his case they did not return the Original Passport submitted so left in the limbo.

As far as I know it has been two weeks now and he is waiting to get the amended Certificate back.The mistake was clearly the Home Office's as he retained a copy of the Form AN submitted. I do not think if it is not your mistake you need to pay the fees.

What he said is there is no other avenue to contact them. He sent the original certificate with a copy of his passport bio data and a covering letter.

Good Luck. Hope u get back the Cert amended quickly. Will update as I follow up with him during the weekend.
cheers
vr
Hi VR, thanks again, yes I've posted it yesterday morning with photocopy of passport and original certificate, have no choice her unless wait for the HO to correct it

I checked that special delivery got signature this morning and now waiting starts one quick question if you don't mind checking with your friend, is if your friend received any acknowledgement letter or so?

I've also enclosed a blank SD for them to return as I've to go out of UK very soon...

VR

Acknowledgement

Post by VR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm

forbc123,

No acknowledgement whatsoever. I suggest you should wait for a maximum of 3 weeks before you try to somehow get in touch with them. What I was told is there no way to reach them.

This friend had can you believe it posted everything through the post office after his ceremony. They did not spot anything wrong and the Passport office wrote back after a week.

For such an important service it beggars belief that they do not have SLA's and any form of accountability.

Update here on how things go in your case. I shall also update as and when I hear from my friend. It will help others and to reduce their anxieties and give them an idea how to face such a scenario.
cheers
vr

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:32 am

VR - have you heard from your friend?

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Heisgood wrote:
forbc123 wrote:
Heisgood wrote:

I sent a copy of passport (as we needed to travel), original certificate and a letter stating the obvious error. I copied the certificate before sending it as stated previously.
Hi Heisgood, posted last week using special delivery, some body signed, so far no response. I've also enclosed SD for them to return things safely...should wait another week?

VR

Special Delivery not required if it is their mistake

Post by VR » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:40 pm

forbc123,

Nothing till now. Just checked. Also if it is their mistake I am not sure if you need not enclose a SD envelope.
cheers
vr

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:10 pm

forbc123 wrote:
Heisgood wrote:
forbc123 wrote:
Heisgood wrote:

Hi Heisgood, posted last week using special delivery, some body signed, so far no response. I've also enclosed SD for them to return things safely...should wait another week?
forbc123 - You should be fine. Let's hope the October rush (ie the influx of applications) don't delay the reprinting. If you need to travel urgently then give them a shout on Friday.

ruthmac
Newly Registered

Re: Surname incorrect on Citizenship Certificate

Post by ruthmac » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 pm

forbc123 wrote:Dear all,
I just collected my baby registration certification to my surprise her surname is mistaken for middle name. The council asked me to write to Liverpool before applying for UK passport

Has any body faced it before and how long corrections take, any idea what address should I send this.

Kindly help
Ours had to be sent back for a similar reason. Sent back by SD on 18/10 to the address on the back of the approval letter. Just checked and it's on its way back tonight (also by SD). So, a month to the day. I just sent the original certificate plus copy of passport, plus cover letter.

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 am

ruthmac wrote:
forbc123 wrote:Dear all,

Kindly help
Ours had to be sent back for a similar reason. Sent back by SD on 18/10 to the address on the back of the approval letter. Just checked and it's on its way back tonight (also by SD). So, a month to the day. I just sent the original certificate plus copy of passport, plus cover letter.
ruthmac - was it a PO Box address in Liverpool, I got this address from our council as they took my approval letter which was also an invitation letter (combo). My kid needs to travel in January with her mum and looks like it is not going to be possible with 1 month timelines.

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 am

Heisgood wrote:
forbc123 wrote:
Heisgood wrote:
forbc123 wrote:

forbc123 - You should be fine. Let's hope the October rush (ie the influx of applications) don't delay the reprinting. If you need to travel urgently then give them a shout on Friday.
Thanks, but the number they gave me to contact is just playing a voice giving email address...that's all..may be HO want to be avoid people contact them via phone conversation...

ruthmac
Newly Registered

Post by ruthmac » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 am

ruthmac - was it a PO Box address in Liverpool, I got this address from our council as they took my approval letter which was also an invitation letter (combo). My kid needs to travel in January with her mum and looks like it is not going to be possible with 1 month timelines.[/quote]

It was a PO Box in Liverpool. After a couple of weeks of waiting I emailed NationalityProgress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk to find out what was going on, and received a not very helpful reply, but they did confirm that my "request" had been received. But they also noted "There are no service standards for these requests. I am unable to advise when any particular request will be completed." Which is a bit of a cop out to say the least.

Anyway, pleased to report that the amended certificate arrived safely this morning.

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:13 am

Congratualtions ruthmac

Thanks for the prompt response - I have posted last week will wait another week and write an email to them to check if they received it...I'd be happy if I receive it by end of the month as I can still plan for travel, quite unfortunate to know there is no timelines for a mistake which is not made by us

I'm hopeful that worst case I'd receive it by mid December and then post pone our travel to Feb

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Finally, I spoke to HO today via contact center, and they confirmed receipt of my daughters certificate and corrections are in process, so I should wait to hear from them very soon.

ruthmac
Newly Registered

Post by ruthmac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:50 pm

forbc123 wrote:Finally, I spoke to HO today via contact center, and they confirmed receipt of my daughters certificate and corrections are in process, so I should wait to hear from them very soon.
Good news! Let us know when it turns up forbc123

VR

Please post the number and other details

Post by VR » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Dear Forbc123,

It will be useful for board users if you can post how you contacted them and other details such as number , department etc.

Glad you took the initiative and hopefully you will get back the thing quickly.
cheers
vr

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks Guyz,

I phoned up 08706067766 number yesterday evening, and clearly explained that approval is done and sent it for correction

The lady spoke to me in a very polite manner and asked royal mail tracking number that is used to send my post, along with all my details, DOB, Nationality & NFEE or Reference number (which ever is handy) she took 5 minutes to walk to a department that does it and checked that my post is with them and it seems it is in queue to get corrected as there are cases where certificates are amended (by paying £94) and some are amended due to printing error

So yes, this is how I got to know my post is with them and they are aware of urgency

VR

Thanks for the feedback

Post by VR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Dear Forbc123,

Thanks for the update. Now there is an email address and a Phone number. Maybe Amber might want to add this bit to the FAQ so that it will include not only the BC Application but also the entire cycle .
cheers
vr

VR

Further Feedback

Post by VR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:41 pm

All,

My Friend called the number and they picked up and were just able to confirm that the document was received.

It seems they clearly told him there were no SLA's or time frame within which this correction would be done and asked him to wait or if Urgent go to their website and email the address mentioned in this thread.

It seems he told them the mistake was not on the Form AN to which the lady replied, saying they take the name from the Passport copies submitted and not the form AN.

GOD SAVE THIS COUNTRY!
cheers
vr

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 am

Even then - what is taking for HO to re-reprint and send back it is not approval it is just re-printing...I'd argue why it can take 4 weeks just to reprint and post back as approval is already done it is clearly not our mistake

Priority must be given to cases of printing mistakes as we fully paid for service and expected it to be delivered with out issues

VR

Postage

Post by VR » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:45 am

Forbc123,

Its a mistake to enclose Postage. The fee we have paid includes everything. It is their responsibility to send us the correct document.

Now by keep Self Addressed Postal envelopes this will set a precedent and they will slip it into the rules

Imagine this country is not called ''Rip off Britain'' for nothing. We pay our taxes and yet there are so many stealth taxes imposed on us by the day.

Just take the case of the price we are paying for a Litre of Fuel. For the same in USA you could buy a gallon. The list is endless.

This is just my personal opinion.
cheers
vr