ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA but did not apply for ILR & Referees

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ccarmell
Newly Registered

EEA but did not apply for ILR & Referees

Post by ccarmell » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:57 am

I have been studying in the UK from late September, 2007. Have been away for around 6-7months for work placements during 2009 but that can be counted as part of the course I studied.

I am planning to apply for neutralisation but have not officially applied for any permanent residency status/ILR, will that be a concern? I was doing full time studying from Sept 2007 - Sept 2013..

If the professional referee that is not a British national & does not live in the UK, will that be a problem? I find it difficult to find referees in the UK, esp. moving house almost every year/ friends of mine are not quite qualified as professionals / lucky enough to never have had the need to visit a GP, etc. ..
Any recommendations on that?

thanks a lot!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 am

Not having permanent residence confirmation will itself not be a problem.

You will surely know some teachers, lecturers, professors. They can act as referees.

Did you hold comprehensive sickness insurance during your studies?

Tuvoc

Post by Tuvoc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:02 pm

My lawyer told me this:

"The referee must be resident in the UK and professional in the UK and not outside the UK"

In the end I managed to in fact get two referees whow were both professional, and both UK resident.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 am

Never known of the requirement that one of the referees must be a professional.

Tuvoc

Post by Tuvoc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:22 am

Ayyubi72 wrote:Never known of the requirement that one of the referees must be a professional.
That has been the case for a very long time. The Home Office publish a list of examples which are acceptable.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:28 am

I know the examples. But nowhere there is or ever has been a requirement that one of the referees must be a professional.

Tuvoc

Post by Tuvoc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:26 am

It is quite a loose definition of professional. They refer to is as a person having "professional standing". Not quite the same thing I guess.

ccarmell
Newly Registered

Post by ccarmell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Not having permanent residence confirmation will itself not be a problem.

You will surely know some teachers, lecturers, professors. They can act as referees.

Did you hold comprehensive sickness insurance during your studies?
Thanks for your reply. :)))

I had a sickness/medical insurance for my first year of study in the UK (2007).
Started university on Sept 08, and from Sept 2008 to Sept 2011 I don't think I had... I did purchase a medical insurance on Sept 2011 though, therefore from Sept 2011 till now I'm covered. [sorry if this looks confusing..]

I did try to contact 2 of the lecturers that are 'closer' to me i.e. personal tutors, but 1 of them hasn't replied me yet... which is why I'm thinking could I have my professional referee from my home country and my lecturer as the UK over 25 referee.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Get one reference from lecturer, and the other one could be a class fellow, college fellow, milkman, window cleaner or even a beggar, as long he/she is a british citizen and at least 25 years old and knows you for 3 years or more.

Now the more important bit.

Your comprehensive insurance matter looks dodgy. I have only read the regulations and guidance regarding CSI requirement once. So, lets wait for someone else to give you accurate info.

Did you apply EEA1 and receive registeration card in past?

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 pm

I think your case is going to rest on whether the UKBA was requiring CSI for students back in the 2008-2011 period when you didn't have it. Otherwise it's certainly a gap in your treaty rights. I recall in the past it wasn't required for students, only for self-sufficient, but I'm not certain when that changed.

Jambo? Or any other EEA treaty rights guru?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm

I think it was required, but it was not insisted upon. I understand that in the days it was not insisted upon, if someone got EEA1, then they will not insist CSI now for eea2 (or automatic PR). But if someone never applied for EEA1, they will refuse now for PR.

Purely my thoughts. Please wait for someone who can provide accurate info.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:I think it was required, but it was not insisted upon. I understand that in the days it was not insisted upon, if someone got EEA1, then they will not insist CSI now for eea2 (or automatic PR). But if someone never applied for EEA1, they will refuse now for PR.

Purely my thoughts. Please wait for someone who can provide accurate info.
This is an accurate description of the HO view.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)