ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using NCS query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NOG
Member of Standing

Using NCS query

Post by NOG » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:22 pm

If a person uses NCS to submit a naturalisation application I understand that the original passport and ILR BRP card can be retained by the applicant. Is this correct? And is it correct to assume that while the application is being determined the person is free to leave the UK and travel overseas? Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:32 pm

yes to both your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Many thanks. Would you know whether or not it is possible to attend the citizenship ceremony abroad, i.e. at a British embassy/high commission?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:22 pm

How long do you plan on being away from the UK and will someone be checking your post while you are away as you only have a certain amount of time to within which to book your ceremony and then you have up to 90 days to attend the ceremony once your application is approved otherwise your certificate will be sent back and you will most likely have to apply for BC and pay fee again.

If you are moving abroad, I think you can request the ceremony to be done at an embassy but not sure how you would explain your future intentions if they are not in the UK. There are some posts from a couple of months ago about ceremonies abroad if you search the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:46 pm

NOG wrote:Many thanks. Would you know whether or not it is possible to attend the citizenship ceremony abroad, i.e. at a British embassy/high commission?
In theory its possible, but in real life its a recipe for disaster and running around.

Apply whilst you are in UK, and attend the ceremony in UK. Once you have naturalisation certificate, then you are free to do around the world tour without headache.

:idea:

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:19 pm

CR001 and Ayyubi72 thanks.
Yes, ideally it would be better to apply and wait here in the UK, however, there is a good chance that I might need to be away abroad for about two months after applying.
I was thinking of perhaps flying back to attend the ceremony once the application is approved if it is going to be too much of a problem to arrange one at an overseas embassy/HC.
In relation to explaining my future intentions of being in the UK, I obtained my ILR based on the 10 year long residence route so clearly I call the UK my home? or not?
Does providing any explanation on medical grounds to visit family help arranging a ceremony overseas?
Yes, someone will be able to check my post while I am away.
Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 pm

NOG wrote:CR001 and Ayyubi72 thanks.
Yes, ideally it would be better to apply and wait here in the UK, however, there is a good chance that I might need to be away abroad for about two months after applying.
I was thinking of perhaps flying back to attend the ceremony once the application is approved if it is going to be too much of a problem to arrange one at an overseas embassy/HC.
In relation to explaining my future intentions of being in the UK, I obtained my ILR based on the 10 year long residence route so clearly I call the UK my home? or not?
Does providing any explanation on medical grounds to visit family help arranging a ceremony overseas?
Yes, someone will be able to check my post while I am away.
Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Unless you move permanently abroad and are a spouse of BC, you can't move the ceremony abroad. If needed, you can ask for extension beyond the three months.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Jambo wrote: If needed, you can ask for extension beyond the three months.
Thank you. How does one go about doing this i.e. request to extend attending the ceremony after the 3 month period?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:59 pm

NOG wrote:
Jambo wrote: If needed, you can ask for extension beyond the three months.
Thank you. How does one go about doing this i.e. request to extend attending the ceremony after the 3 month period?
By writing to the HO explaining why you can't attend within 3 months and asking for extension.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:05 am

Best way would be, that you apply a few days before you are due to fly out for two months.

Approval will take about 2 months anyways. Even if you got approval quicker in say 6 weeks, you will have enough time to book and attend the ceremony when you are back.

Pay by cheque rather than credit card. That will give you one more week of breathing space.

Easy peasy.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Just wondering whether or not it is alright to travel abroad once I have submitted the application with NCS - since my passport will be returned to me how does UKBA then calculate or verify my absences from the UK for the 5 year period? Does NCS photocopy all the pages of the passport and send them to UKBA? Thanks in advance ..

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm

It is OK to travel. The number of absence days won't change by much, if any (as NCS normally post next day delivery and day of travel doesnt count as absence) so will have no affect.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Jambo, Thanks.
I think I may have mislead you by my question - what I meant is - does NCS photocopy the entire passport so that UKBA can check all the entry stamps on the passport to verify that the number of days I have specified as absences are correct?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:52 pm

NOG wrote:Jambo, Thanks.
I think I may have mislead you by my question - what I meant is - does NCS photocopy the entire passport so that UKBA can check all the entry stamps on the passport to verify that the number of days I have specified as absences are correct?
Yes.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Is it true that a person can make use of any NCS even if you do not reside in that area? For example I am finding it difficult to schedule an appointment in Hampshire around the dates I plan to apply, in this case, can I go and apply either in Southampton or Surrey if I am offered a suitable date?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:18 pm

NOG wrote:Is it true that a person can make use of any NCS even if you do not reside in that area? For example I am finding it difficult to schedule an appointment in Hampshire around the dates I plan to apply, in this case, can I go and apply either in Southampton or Surrey if I am offered a suitable date?
It's true.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:34 pm

There is another well known way to apply and you won't have to send your passport.

I recently got approval and did not send passport.

I sent certified photocopies of my passport. That was every single page of passport including the blank ones, and cover. I have a jumbo passport because I do frequent short trips overseas. Still managed to squeeze whole passport into 8 pages of double sided copies. Each side 4 pages of passport. Thanks to a good photocopier at work.

Solicitor charged me £ 20 to certify. My DIY NCS cost me around 23 pounds, including recorded delivery.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote: Solicitor charged me £ 20 to certify. My DIY NCS cost me around 23 pounds, including recorded delivery.
You mean NCS would charge £65 for the appointment and then extra money for photocopying? Would they also charge extra for the recorded delivery?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:50 pm

No NCS will not charge for photocopying. NCS will charge their fees, and I am sure some NCS charge extra for special delivery.

What I mean to say is, if you get passport copies certified by solicitor, you can apply by sending your application straight to home office. No need for NCS.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:39 pm

The NCS don't charge extra for special delivery.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:55 pm

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote: What I mean to say is, if you get passport copies certified by solicitor, you can apply by sending your application straight to home office. No need for NCS.
Does the solicitor who certifies the passport and BRP card (since my ILR is not on stamped on my passport) have to be at a certain level, i.e. hold certain credentials? Are there any other professionals who are allowed to certify?

Also, I assume that if I dont use NCS, I will have to get all my documents - university degree, LIUK test certificate etc. also certified or do I send the originals?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:35 pm

You send only certified copies of everything. No originals. You must have submitted LiUK Test at the time of ILR, so that is not required.

Any solicitor can certify. Most solicitors have stamps made out for this purpose, otherwise they can write this by hand too. It has to be on the lines of " I certify that this is a true copy of the original document which I have seen" Sign every page, and write their name on every page and date.
On the top page, ask them to put a name and address stamp on the top page and also telephone number.

If you visit london before you apply, then get this done in london. There are more than a million solicitors in london who will be very happy to do this.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 pm

And.... if you can find an appointment at some nearby NCS then go for it.
I say this because I know Hampshire well, specially basingstoke to winchester area. Solicitors there usually tend to be posh snobs. They might ask you a thousand pound per page to certify. :lol:

Ring around and tell them how many pages you need certifying, and do a deal. Luckily where I live, all these little things do not cost a lot of money, and I always haggle and try to pay the least amount of money to these pen pushers. :lol:

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Ayyubi72, thank you.

I got in touch with about 15 solicitors to ask for a quote and they seem to be really expensive around Winchester like you mentioned.

I have booked an appointment at Aldershot on 2nd Jan. Was just wondering whether NCS will post my application to UKBA the same day or the next day?