ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Theresa may is merciless

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

peppekalle

Theresa may is merciless

Post by peppekalle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Well done for the Nigerians for refusing to give permission for the plane to land.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... -asylum-uk

The guy is on his death bed for goodness sake.The charter flight cost £100000 considering he was the only one being deported.

He hasn't committed any crime he is just to scared of boko haram.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Truly disgusting actions by the Home Office. Sometime you do not have the words to say. It's an outrage, however, Ms May seems to have nine lives when it comes to her removal from office.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Really?

So, a person who is found to have no basis to remain in UK should be allowed to stay forever if he goes on a hunger strike?

Can I go on hunger stike and ask for a exception to be made for me paying my income tax, national insurance, council tax, road tax, water bill, car insurance, tv license?

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Really?

So, a person who is found to have no basis to remain in UK should be allowed to stay forever if he goes on a hunger strike?

Can I go on hunger stike and ask for a exception to be made for me paying my income tax, national insurance, council tax, road tax, water bill, car insurance, tv license?
Maybe the guy is really scared of boko haram.To deny yourself food till you are dying...speaks volumes .

If you deny yourself food while in detention center they tempt you with all sorts of food at your cell but congrats to the guy i Hope he doesn't pass away and if God forbids he does let him at the detention center

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Really?

Boko haram only based in North. in the southern Nigeria it's a no go area for Boko Haram. I wonder why he can't live there

I think it's true If UK start a rule whereby people on hunger strike are allowed to stay then they will find many people will go on Hunger strike
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 pm

but to spend that much just to deport someone who is not a danger to the society is outrages

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:03 am

It beggars believe that so much of taxpayers money could be wasted in this way.

Perhaps this guy is indeed a genuine asylum seeker. Mrs May refused him an in country, right of appeal, put his case through the fast track system, and now acting as if Nigeria is still a British colony by sending a flight into their airspace without prior authorisation.

Even Mr Katada was not treated as inhumanely as this man.

I hope he pulls through.

It is amazing how far May can take her war on immigrant inorder to woo he Zenophobic and bigoted UKIP base.

I feel ashamed to be in this country.

Even Australia, one of the most dearly beloved and Zenophobic anglosaxon nation on the planet, where i hear some of these horror stories, wil not treat Muaza in this way.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:57 am

A demonstration of an abuse of power and taxpayers' money. Akin to a small irrational child bully wanting her own way against the weak at whatever the costs.

Note that she may have been committing an offence, if he was a sheep or goat:
Sheep and goats: welfare regulations wrote:Fitness for travel
It’s illegal to transport an animal that’s considered unfit for travel. This includes:

sick or injured animals where moving them would cause additional suffering - unless instructed by a vet
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:50 am

Let's be clear though - there (according to the Guardian) a doctor who did certify him as 'not fit to fly' - and since, if anything had happened to him as a result of the flight, the government could have been sued - along with all the private companies who take this work on - it's highly unlikely they would have done this on that judgement. Ergo - someone medical certified him fit to fly. It's also worth thinking that plenty of people are transported on medical flights around the world - think about that poor girl from Pakistan who was shot!

So to say that transporting him was inhumane without knowing the full circumstances and what was onboard his plane is jumping the gun.

I really don't know enough about this guy's circumstances and a google for his name is only finding the stories from the last day or two.

I did find the previous story on the Guardian which says that he arrived here 7 years ago. He claimed to have fled from Boko Haram then. According to Wikipedia (ok - yes - poor source - but the best I've got) Boko Haram was largely political and non-violent until 2009.

I doubt almost any of us know this case well enough to really be certain - but for someone to arrive in 2005, go underground and work on a visitor visa and only apply for this year having tried to get legal leave to remain smacks of desperation rather than fear.

M.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:02 am

Teressa May is not simply bad or wicked or tough, she is pure evil.

It is an irony that she came out talking about how the Tories are been viewed as the nasty part, when she herself epitomises the true evilness and nastiness of the Conservatives.

Thanks goodness Muaza arrived safely.

No one cares about what Teressa May and her Daily Mail and Express friend says to demonise this frail and dying man, all we know is that he has not been given his day in court. With Teressa May's dodgy certification, no asylum seekers stand a chance.

The fact is that he is on the verge of death, surely that must carry a significant weight than his immigration history, however precarious that may be, or spinned by Ms May and her despicable agents.

Thanks for pointing out that an animal will have been treated more humanly than this poor man.

Goes to show that in this war that Mrs May is waging against migrants, they are view as less worthy than an animal.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:39 am

But i've a question how would the Government know who is telling the truth?

3 years ago i used to know a student from west Africa who send an application to stay in the UK on the basis he is a GAY and his country prosecute people who are GAY but i swear he have a girlfriend and she too used to work with us

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 am

People do lie and abuse the system. There are many sham marriages etc... However, you can't stereotype everyone and people must be presumed innocent until proven guilty. That person is lucky he's not in Turkey, where in order to prove one's sexuality to officials, I.e. Military exclusion, one must show a video of oneself in a receptive sexual role.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:02 am

Well... this might open up a door for some people to stay in the UK. Extreme, but atleast possible. You would need to cooperation of your home government to pull it off (surprised Nigeria went along with this), and need to put yourself in extreme harm. But in this case, it seems to have worked so far.

Seneca

Post by Seneca » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:28 pm

£100,000 to deport somebody who is not threat to British society is outrageous. There actually people who pose really threat to Britain.

I think HO and Theresa May need to rediscover basic value of humane, empathy, kindness and proportionality. And how one would have like to be treated in the same situation. I think preservation of life should have more weight than making political points.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Looks like the delay is only temporary (click).

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:02 pm

It look like the Nigetian suthority has lost its moral compass. Not that I think they had one, anyway. Instead of protesting against the action of the British Citizen towards one of their nationals, they are actually condoling it. Utterly disgusting.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Obie - if this was a british citizen abroad ... do you think we'd be protesting saying 'treat them better' or suggesting we get them home as soon as possible so we can look after them?

As I said before - medical repatriations take place every week - to fly someone around the world who is ill - providing you take the right precautions (which a private jet sounds pretty good at!), is not inhumane.

Let us be very very very clear about this - the Uk Government is not forcing him onto hunger strike - he is doing that of his own free will. For anyone to get around the law by protesting with their own life and be granted under that would be extremely wrong.

To take it to an extreme - do you let a murder out because they hunger strike?

And what's the threshold? Is 30 days on strike not enough - but 100 sufficient?

He was here illegally. He only claimed asylum because he ran out of other options. He was a law breaker here regardless of anything else.

Now IF he is of fear of his life in Nigeria - that is a different matter.

But even under the fast track process - there is the ability to appeal - admittedly with 2 days notice: https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk ... /index.php - but this guy does have lawyers who have been fighting for him on the hunger strike.

If he has that much fear - then any deportation will quickly result in him going to a 'more friendly' country and re-applying for asylum.

M.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 pm

With all due respect, i believe you are comparing like and unlike.

If a British citizen was sick overseas, we will put considerable pressure to bear on our government to bring him/her home, especially in circumstances where the medical condition at home is more superior than the one in the overseas country.

This is not the case here.

We have an individual at death's door, unfit to travel, and with the benefit of cobsiderable medical experience, I fully comprehend the meaning of this.

This man is in genuine fare of persecution in his home country, and therefore, there is a potential breach of convention rights here.

In all the circumstance, and if the British Government has any humanity and dignity left in them. They will all this individual to get the medical treatment he desperately needs in this country.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Obie wrote: This man is in genuine fare of persecution in his home country, and therefore, there is a potential breach of convention rights here.
I'm going to keep repeating this over and over - WE DO NOT KNOW THIS!!!!

We know he claims to be ... we know he's on hunger strike ... the two things do not equate to genuinely being in fear of persecution.

The medical treatment he needs is recuperation from a hunger strike. He could have chosen at any point in the last 100 days to allow himself to recuperate!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 pm

MPH80 you are entitled to your view, and I make no apologies for being in total disagreement with it.

This man has not had his case tried and tested by our independent tribunal.

We have a situation where the executive has tried and tested the potential breach of his convention rights and rejected it. This is wholly unsatisfactory in my opinion.

He is not fit to travel, independent competent medical expert have made this assessment .

In a practising democracy, that should carry significant weight. But unfortunately it has not in this case. Teressa May has given total disregard or ignorance to it. It is unheard of in a civilise nation.

I am purely concerned about Mr Muaza's health and nothing else matters to me. So long as he does not pose a risk to british public.

Anyone with a bit of basic human empathy and dignity, will not help, but be immensley concerned about this poor man's welfare.

He has a right to stand his ground. To refuse by whatever means, to go a place where he is at risk of inhumane or degrading treatment.

Medical experts have also confirmed that Mr Muaza has metal issues. If this is not deserving of compassion, I dont know what will.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Everything you have just listed I agree with.

But the problem I have is that people keep making sweeping statements "he is in genuine fear of persecution' ... 'transporting him is inhumane'.

These two points are key!

First - we do not know he is genuine fear.

Second - we do not know the circumstances of his flight other than it was on a private jet and cost a fortune. We do not know how many (if any!) doctors were on board. We do not know whether he was in a bed or forced to walk to the plane. We do not know a lot of things here.

We also know that a single medical person deemed him not fit for transport. Apparently doctors have also deemed him not fit for incarceration. But equally - we know that independent judges have refused those appeals so there must be medical evidence against that too! How many court cases have we seen with competing medical evidence?!?

(As an aside - I had a medical issue earlier in the year which three different doctors told me was three different things! Medicine is science, but diagnosis tends to be more art)

I am in full agreement that this man deserves medical treatment - but that still doesn't mean that should necessarily happen in this country when we do not properly know his circumstances in Nigeria. But I'm going to repeat this again - he has chosen to put himself in this medical circumstance.

This man went through a process which is, frankly, not good enough. But equally there has to be a balance between the years that some people are left in Asylum limbo and the truly fast paced process we're in now. But it still doesn't entitle him to remain!

I have a heap of sympathy with someone who is in genuine fear of persecution, but I'm waiting for someone to show me the evidence he is. What I have is his word and the fact he's on hunger strike.

How about this for a compromise solution if we had the power:

1) Keep him in detention - while providing medical care (even if that's detention in a hospital)
2) Let him appeal to give a chance to present evidence
3) Settle on the outcome of that appeal

M.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm

The first option is in my view a non-starter. I appreciate this is a good suggestion made In good faith, , but it is 3 months late. This man dont have time for appeal. We need to save his life.

We all have a duty, as citizens of this earth to prevent Mubenga part 2. It is no good saying stuff when he is dead. Our duty as decent human beings is to prevent death in the first place, by lobbying our law makers, undertaking non-violent protest about these despicable acts of cruelty.

You cannot keep a near death man in detention. The Secretary of States own guidance explicitly prohibit this. That is not the purpose of detention. The detention centre authorities, have told UKBA in no uncertain terms to remove him from detention. He is unfit to be detained. Detaining someone who is not a criminal or serving a custodial sentence, is one of the flaws in a democratic western society infested by Zenophobes and right wing lovey, seeking on score points, on society's most vulnerable.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm

So put him in a secure hospital! Promise him an appeal to get him off hunger strike and let it happen!

It's not hard to see a way out of this where both sides get what they desire. May gets to be hardline by keeping him in detention - he gets an appeal.

Surely we can agree on that?

On the point that the detention people have said he's not fit to remain - this is the bit I don't understand and a major part of the story I'm missing. He's had 3 appeals dismissed on this single point ... why have 3 separate judges all disagreed with it?

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Definitely his strike of starvation should not be bothered to consider as it will encourage several others. Why not the British and Nigerian authorities get him settled in other danger free areas within Nigeria without wasting tax money here.

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Maybe people with same ethnicity favor him but hunger strike is not the way to get extra mercy. Why why why the British authorities not understand that they can sort out this issue in a way to coordinate with the voluntary or charities organization there in Nigeria to relocate, accomodate, feed in trouble free zone. Nigeria is a big country and authorities if use this way of practise then a large amount of tax money can be saved and other ones who might try to follow his path will automatically be discouraged.