ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Until when we one needs to keep all pre-BC documents?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

quantumscience

Until when we one needs to keep all pre-BC documents?

Post by quantumscience » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:14 pm

waitingformonths wrote:Eligibility criteria: 5 years (WP + Tier 1) + 1 year ILR
Method of application: NCS Manchester
Date of application: 15-Aug-2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 19-Aug-2013
Date acknowledged: 21-Aug-2013 (dated 19-Aug-2013)
Date of Fees taken: 19-Aug-2013
Approval Letter Dated: 13-Nov-2013
Approval Letter Received On: 23-Nov-2013

attended the ceremony last week. I am all done now.

Now I can relax and dispose a suit case full of supporting documents I have kept safe with me dating almost 9 years back. I will really enjoy doing this, so I am going to buy a new shredder just for this :)

Interesting point you have raised there actually... :)

I have been maintaining and keeping all important records / documentation ever since my very first Visa in the country and through all stages of WP, HSMP, ILR and finally British Citizenship.
These documents (includes several years payslips, P60s, Council tax, bank statements, HO communications, acknowledgements and approval letters, etc, etc, and even car sale/transfer documents of all my previous cars and DVLA confirmations, etc.).

Now that I have been a BC for over several years now, I am thinking is it still required (or worthwhile for any reason?) to keep all these loads of past records?
I had it with me all these years thinking I will need it (just in case I need to prove any part of my history here) until my Wife completes her journey into finally being a BC. Now she has.

So, I am thinking is it still worthwhile to keep carrying on having these docs (especially the ones that I used for visa renewals and various applications in the past 15 years and the HO communications of acknowledgements and approvals) , or is it OK to shred them now.

Would I need any of these in the future at all?

I know it’s all about one’s own choice, but generally speaking until what time should a person keep such audit trail of records that have been accumulated across the timeline of from beginning to the end of BC journey.

One scenario I am thinking where the past documents can come in useful is, in case the govt. later on decides to ask all BCs of foreign nativity, to prove everything about them in terms of UK immigration past until BC?
Maybe I am being paranoid here, but looking at the political dynamics in the UK and the UK public feelings about BCs of foreign background, it’s quite possible for these things to happen.

Anyway, i invite you guys thoughts. Quite honestly, I cannot wait to get rid of the very very old documents. It’s just such big piles of documents sitting in our home :)

humanvoid

Re: Until when we one needs to keep all pre-BC documents?

Post by humanvoid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 pm

quantumscience wrote: Anyway, i invite you guys thoughts. Quite honestly, I cannot wait to get rid of the very very old documents. It’s just such big piles of documents sitting in our home :)
I am yet to go through naturalization process, but I would consult HO on this matter. Once you've got affirmative and convincing response from them, you can get rid of them the most environment-friendly way :).

Another option would be to keep only critical documents, scan the rest and throw away.

quantumscience

Post by quantumscience » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks.

So it looks like there is no set maximum time limit that we need to keep holding on these past documents :(

Its interesting. Even the commercial companies can throw away very old data after certain period (7 years or so I think - I know this as a one-man company myself ;)), and I wonder why individual citizens cannot part with their personal documents and the like.

Oh well! Its all right. These piles of documents have almost become a member of our little family ;) so we will keep them with us for eternity :D

Thanks anyway.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:54 pm

piles and piles of paperwork are a hassle.

I normally scan them in the best quality as I can and then destroy the rest.

If required we can print the scans, moreover, HO has the record of everthing anyway.

its personal choice.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

I thought about it a few years ago, before applying for citizenship. Actually while moving stuff around house, and moving mountains of papers made me think that. Just out of curiousity, I made a subject access request three years ago. It was well worth the money. The SAR file contains all the application forms I ever sent them. It does not seem to have every single document I have sent them, but all the important document on which the application relied are there. Plus there are caseworker notes etc. All the documents are double sided copies, so the whole file is very compact. Everything is one one envelope. After SAR the only application I have made is naturalisation, and I have kept double sided copies of that. Once I get the passport, I am going to shred all the immigration related documents I have. I will just keep hold of the SAR file. That will be more than enough if ever there is a need. Though I doubt I will ever need to refer to SAR ever again.

VR

Backing up is easier

Post by VR » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:06 pm

quantumofscience,

Burn them to a cd or scan and back up in a couple of places on the cloud and get rid of them. In the past these facilities were not available and every house carried tons of clutter.

Except Legal documents like title deeds, academic testimonials, birth certificate all the rest can be retrieved with minimal effort.
cheers
vr

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:I thought about it a few years ago, before applying for citizenship. Actually while moving stuff around house, and moving mountains of papers made me think that. Just out of curiousity, I made a subject access request three years ago. It was well worth the money. The SAR file contains all the application forms I ever sent them. It does not seem to have every single document I have sent them, but all the important document on which the application relied are there. Plus there are caseworker notes etc. All the documents are double sided copies, so the whole file is very compact. Everything is one one envelope. After SAR the only application I have made is naturalisation, and I have kept double sided copies of that. Once I get the passport, I am going to shred all the immigration related documents I have. I will just keep hold of the SAR file. That will be more than enough if ever there is a need. Though I doubt I will ever need to refer to SAR ever again.
I remember skimming trough their internal guidelines on retention policy of immigration data and it was either 20 or 25 years for ILR applications at least.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: Backing up is easier

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 pm

VR wrote:
Burn them to a cd
vr
Shall we send these papers to India to be burnt on holi ?

VR

You mean send them to India to roll them to bidis

Post by VR » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:48 am

I am fine.... :D
cheers
vr