ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visitor visa holder allowed to buy property?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sunnystar
Newly Registered

Family visitor visa holder allowed to buy property?

Post by sunnystar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:58 am

My Mum is visiting me on a family visitor visa. She is thinking to buy a residential property in the UK. I am wondering if that will breach condition of her visa?

Could she buy some shares of a small private company? She will be a pure shareholder and will not participate in running the business.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:40 am

You cannot get a mortgage in the UK without being a legal resident so you need to pay cash for the house.

Foreigners buy property in the UK all the time -- just look how many Chinese, Russians, Saudis, etc have bought up property in Central London

Buying property does not give you any residency rights. You can enter as a tourist and visit up to 6 months a year as long as you have proof you can financially support yourself

hope this helps

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: reply

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:49 pm

nehalbhagat wrote: Buying property does not give you any residency rights.
Good you have pointed this out. Many people think that once you buy a property in UK, you will have some kind of right (express or implied) to get a UK visa as an when you want.

A foreigner can buy property in UK, but it can also happen that after buying a property they might not be able to get a visa, and end up with an assest on which they cannot exercise proper control.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:58 pm

If the said propert is in Kensington or Westminster area, then it is a different matter altogether. Your mom may apply for the same day visa soon.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.