ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor travelling to india(on Indian PP) and UK (on uk PP)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gols
Newly Registered

Minor travelling to india(on Indian PP) and UK (on uk PP)

Post by Gols » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Okay! After lot of search and my personal experience I know that a minor can hold both the passports (uk &indian) till 18.

My child was born in uk (parents Indian passport) got his Indian PP in 2010. Travelled to India in 2010 on Indian PP without any Problem.

In India we applied for his uk PP and got it .

In June 2013, after a long (around 1.5yrs) stay he came back to London.
At the the time of Delhi immigration, after the long discussion the immigration officer told us that he can carry both the PP till 18 and cleared his immigration check. And in London immigration we used his uk PP and entered in London WITHOUT ANY QUERY and problem.

Now one parent is indian and other one is british citizen and applying for OCI.

We are planning to travel to Indian soon, my question is

Is my son need any OCI, exit visa, PIO ???or can he travel to / from India / UK with just the 2 passports???

OCI, means we have to surrender his Indian PP, and we really want to keep It. Looks silly but need to ask that holding 2 passport means, can you use them for travelling as well? Don't want any hassle this time.

Any personal experiences pls?????

Thanks

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:23 pm

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that if one of the parent acquires foreign citizenship, then child also loses their citizenship.

Even if I am wrong, I think you will be taking a big risk. A personal experience may not be of much help to you, as another immigration officer might take a different view and cause your trouble.

In my opinion, the best course of action will be, to surrender child's Indian passport, and obtain Indian visa on British passport. Once you are back, you can apply for child's OCI. If the child is going to be in India for a while, then you can apply for OCI from India too.

Obtaining child's visa will cost you a few bobs more, but believe me its not worth taking risk when it comes to dealing with Indian officials. Treat the visa fee as insurance against any problems you might face when leaving India.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:50 am

Please continue in your other post.