ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When will I be eligible for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

love UK 08
Newly Registered

When will I be eligible for Naturalisation

Post by love UK 08 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 pm

I am unsure when I would be eligible to apply for Naturalisation

I had been in UK since 2007 (came to study) and then been on work permit since October 2009
My husband got Indefinite leave to remain on 25.09.2009
I got married to him on 16.11.2010
I got visa - Spouse of person settled here / British citizen on 25.02.2011
My husband became British citizen on 24.08.2011
I got Indefinite leave to remain on 26.04.2013

When would I be eligible to apply for British citizenship? Could I apply now?

I would be grateful if I could get advice on this please

Thank you

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes, as long as you meet all the standard requirements.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:53 pm

you could have applied with yout husband or immediately after he attended ceremony and received his certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

love UK 08
Newly Registered

Post by love UK 08 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:59 am

Casa wrote:Yes, as long as you meet all the standard requirements.
Thank you Casa. I have met all the standard requirements. I will apply now using AN form

love UK 08
Newly Registered

Post by love UK 08 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 pm

CR001 wrote:you could have applied with yout husband or immediately after he attended ceremony and received his certificate.
Thank you CR001. I was told I could apply only after obtaining ILR and got confused when I was told I need to wait for 12 months from the date in my BRP (April 2013) to be eligible to apply for naturalisation.

Under what criteria will I be applying for naturalisation? (As my husband has become British citizen only for 2 years and 4 months)?

Could you please shed light on this? Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Read the FAQs for Naturalisation, link below

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=95747
Eligibility

Q1: I was just granted ILR, when can I apply?

If not married to BC, the standard requirements need to be met. This includes holding ILR/PR for at least 12 months before applying.

If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts.

An important requirement you should pay attention to is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the beginning of the 3/5 years residence period i.e. the day the HO receives your application 3/5 years back. This is a pass/fail test and the HO has no discretion with this requirement.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

navalaviator
Member of Standing

Post by navalaviator » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:12 am

love UK 08 wrote:
CR001 wrote:you could have applied with yout husband or immediately after he attended ceremony and received his certificate.
Thank you CR001. I was told I could apply only after obtaining ILR and got confused when I was told I need to wait for 12 months from the date in my BRP (April 2013) to be eligible to apply for naturalisation.

Under what criteria will I be applying for naturalisation? (As my husband has become British citizen only for 2 years and 4 months)?

Could you please shed light on this? Thank you
:roll: He only became a British Citizen just for 2 years and 4 months? lol :lol:
or did you mean that he was granted BC 2 years and 4 months ago? if yes then how long ago he became a Brit has got nothing to do with your citizenship at all. :wink: