ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working from India for company in UK - is it possible?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hsmppune

Working from India for company in UK - is it possible?

Post by hsmppune » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Forum,

Quick summary of my situation:

- on ILR with wife and kid
- applied for BC
- planning to go back to India for good after BC

Now the company I work for in the UK are quite flexible, and are interested in continuing my services from India. My question is, is this possible at all?

People who may have done this, or know people who have done this can you share specifics on:

1) how this works?
2) How does the salary payment work
3) How does the taxation etc work?
4) A friend told me I can work 6 months from India for a UK company without anything having to change, is this true? If it is, it will give me breathing space to find a job, if the above does not work.
5) If it works, how long can I do it for?

Experienced members please advise.

Regards

ban.s

Re: Working from India for company in UK - is it possible?

Post by ban.s » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:15 pm

assuming that you'll apply for OCI or PIO and then move to India - then from an immigration perspective you can live and work in india.

for salary and tax etc - you have to discuss arrangements with your company and someone competent in taxation matters.

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks ban.s.

My real real question is, is it possible (legal) to work from India for a company in the UK for the long term. I will try to get professional advice as well.

I was just hoping someone on the would have some experiences on this.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm

hsmppune wrote: My real real question is, is it possible (legal) to work from India for a company in the UK for the long term. I will try to get professional advice as well.
You still are an Indian citizen before naturalisation ceremony.. and hold ILR in UK, so legally you are entitled to work in both the countries (till 2 yrs from the day you left UK before unless you get naturalised before that in UK).. but after ceremony day, you have to have work permit ( or OCI) to work in India legally (although it's UK company/paid in UK). Think of it as visiting

Now, the question of taxation, you need to get really good advice on it for both countries as you might have to pay taxes in both countries (not sure on Indian income tax law on earning outside India while being resident in India)

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for the inputs p2kin.
You still are an Indian citizen before naturalisation ceremony.. and hold ILR in UK, so legally you are entitled to work in both the countries (till 2 yrs from the day you left UK before unless you get naturalised before that in UK).. but after ceremony day, you have to have work permit ( or OCI) to work in India legally (although it's UK company/paid in UK). Think of it as visiting
Well I thought as long as I am not working in India (as in for an Indian company) it will be alright. My plan is to visit India on an Entry/Long term visa, and then apply for OCI immediately. Is this not legal? We have a family emergency so I have to get back asap, OCI takes 2-3 months now, I wonder if we should go for PIOs for all of us if this is going to be a problem. Is this a real problem though?
Now, the question of taxation, you need to get really good advice on it for both countries as you might have to pay taxes in both countries (not sure on Indian income tax law on earning outside India while being resident in India)
Agreed, I will need to employ a tax expert for this. I guess I dont need to pay tax to both countries under the DTAA though.

girish19j
Newly Registered

Post by girish19j » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi

Just wanted to ask if you went ahead with this option
Please advise if this is possible as i would like to take a similar approach

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:03 am

Hi hsmppune, what did you end up doing?
Challenges make life worth it!

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:55 am

InUkOnHsmp and girish19j, I am currently planning to apply for PIO for the whole family, as I am not comfortable with being on the wrong side of the law, which I would be if I work from India on a visit visa.

PIO seems to be taking around 4 weeks according to recent timelines posted on the forum, lets see. I will be applying next month, when our passports are in, and we have surrendered Indian ones.

Whats your case Girish19j?

ZenDhil
Newly Registered

Post by ZenDhil » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 am

Hi hsmppune

I am planning to work for my UK company from India. I am in UK on a work visa. Due to a personal situation, I have to go back in November this year but I and my company are happy for me to continue my work from India on a long term basis. Currently, we are working on a structure where I would still be UK employee and working from India. So, I will be paying taxes in India. I need legal and tax advice on this. Do you have any idea about this structure? OR any CA contacts who I can talk to?

Thanks much.

Regards.