ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (G) extension - query on SOC2000/2010 codes

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

timomat
Newly Registered

Tier 2 (G) extension - query on SOC2000/2010 codes

Post by timomat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi,

I am about to extend my tier-2 (G) visa. My job title is "Web Designer" and my grant is under code "2131" of SOC-2000. As you know the SOC codes were updated last year (a.k.a SOC-2010).

As per the official guidance the SOC-2000 code "2131" (IT Strategy & Planning Professionals) maps to SOC-2010 code "2139" (IT & Telecommunications). The conversion table is availabe in Section # 2 here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orkers.pdf .

Unfortunately, the description of the new code is not applicable to my job role as a Web Designer. Instead, the new SOC-2010 code of "2137" (Web design and development professionals) is more appropriate. My confusion is that:

* If I go with the new code (which is not per the conversion table above), does that classify as a change of Job role and hence requires a new application rather than an extension? Its worth pointing out that my job function still remains the same, it's merely the published conversion table that is causing the issue.

* If I go with the SOC-2010 code as given in the conversion table then it is an incorrect description of my job role and I am not sure if it will affect my application?

I will highly appreciate any feedback / comment on this issue. Thanks a lot.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 2 (G) extension - query on SOC2000/2010 codes

Post by manci » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:47 am

The SOC 2000 description for code 2131 was this:

2131 IT STRATEGY AND PLANNING PROFESSIONALS
IT strategy and planning professionals provide advice on the effective utilisation of information technology
in order to solve business problems or to enhance the effectiveness of business functions.
TASKS
• liaises with clients in order to analyse business procedure, clarify customer requirements and to
define the scope of existing software, hardware and network arrangements;
• undertakes feasibility studies incorporating costs,benefits, staffing implications and training needs,
and presents proposals to clients to introduce new IT solutions or to modify existing systems;
• communicates the impact of emerging technologies to clients and advises upon the potential introduction of such technology;
• provides advice and assistance in the procurement, provision, delivery, installation, maintenance and use of information systems and their environments.
RELATED JOB TITLES
Computer consultant
Software consultant

Although I have little knowledge of IT your current 2131 (SOC 2000) code may not have been correct. However, that is water under the bridge.

The rule is that the job description has to be the nearest match to what is in the SOC, which in case of your forthcoming application is SOC 2010, irrespective of the job title. If 2137 in SOC 2010 is the best match then your employer has to assign your CoS with that code.

If there is a change of SOC code, except a direct conversion from SOC 2000 to SOC 2010, that necessitates a change of employment application as the migrant's core duties are considered to have changed, and requires an RLMT.

From your point of view there is no difference between an extension application, for which the sponsor doesn't have to do an RLMT, and a change of employment application for which he has - the application process is the same.

Determining the correct SOC code is the sponsor's responsibility, not yours, and it is they who have to decide whether it should be a simple conversion from 2131 (SOC 2000) to 2139 (SOC 2010) or if there is a change in your core duties which would require code 2137 (SOC 2010) and an RLMT.

timomat
Newly Registered

Post by timomat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:53 am

Hi Manci,

I really appreciate your quick reply.

I guess the confusion stems from "Web Designer" being listed under SOC-2000 code "2131" in the code of practice issued by UKBA (page 10 of the PDF) and perhaps that is why my employer went for that code:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... actice.pdf

The challenge now is that the new converted code in SOC2010 is not relevant to my job role anymore. In any case, as you have pointed out it is up to my employer to decide what needs to be done. Thank you very much for your help and input.

Cheers.

cleverclues
Newly Registered

Post by cleverclues » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Timomat,

Did you managed to find out what SOC 2010 you fall under? As I am right now in the same situation. My job title is ECOMMERCE WEBSITE MANAGER and previous SOC 2000 was 2131 which is now replaced by 2139 'IT & Telecommunications professionals not else where classified'. My job title and job description doesn't match with any of the SOC 2010 codes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

tier2applicant2
Newly Registered

Post by tier2applicant2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm

I have a similar issue.
In case my employer has to do a RLMT to accommodate the new SOC requirement. Will my application not be considered at an extension application ?

Would it be an OK if the job title change in COS for visa extension while core duties remaining the same ?