ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR required for BC Spouse or not?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mustafa.hamdani

ILR required for BC Spouse or not?

Post by mustafa.hamdani » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi All,

I just want to know if it is required for the Spouse of British Citizen to be on ILR for last 12 months or not, to be eligible for naturalization?

I'm in a tricky situation right now. I'm planning for apply for British naturalisation in April 2014, which means, hopefully, by end of 2014, I'll be a British citizen, if everything goes fine.

My wife, who came to UK in March 2012, is eligible for ILR from next month (Feb 2014). Although she has a valid PBS dependant visa until April 2016.

Because I'll be British Citizen by March 2015 then my wife will be eligible to apply for naturalization in March 2015 (after 3 years in UK). My confusion is that should my wife stay on her current visa until March 2015 and apply for naturalization straight away or switch to ILR in Feb 2014 and then apply for naturalization? Does it make any difference?

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR required for BC Spouse or not?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:37 pm

To be able to apply for naturalisation, you have to have ILR. You cannot go from PBS dependent straight to naturalisation.

See Q1 and Q2 in the FAQs link below

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mustafa.hamdani

Re: ILR required for BC Spouse or not?

Post by mustafa.hamdani » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks @CR001. You are a legend :)