ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want your biometric record deleted after becoming British?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jasper_X
Newly Registered

Want your biometric record deleted after becoming British?

Post by Jasper_X » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 am

what should I do with my biometric residence permit card after approval of my naturalisation?
should I destroy the card? or return it to UKBA?
as far as I know biometric residence permit cards are for non-british citizens,and has no purpose/value once a person is granted british citizenship?

TTOE

Re: what to do with Biometric Residence permit after approva

Post by TTOE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:42 am

Jasper_X wrote:what should I do with my biometric residence permit card after approval of my naturalisation?
should I destroy the card? or return it to UKBA?
as far as I know biometric residence permit cards are for non-british citizens,and has no purpose/value once a person is granted british citizenship?
Archive it and show it to your next generation as historical piece :D

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:07 pm

Your ILR simply ceases to exist once naturalised, you can shread it or keep it for future reference. You can write to the Home Office and ask them to destroy your biometric data now you're naturalised, they should issue a certificate to such effect.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Amber_ wrote:Your ILR simply ceases to exist once naturalised, you can shread it or keep it for future reference. You can write to the Home Office and ask them to destroy your biometric data now you're naturalised, they should issue a certificate to such effect.
@Amber, sorry to bother you, do you know or have heard about such certificate being issued to anybody?

Many thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Yes I have. I suggested to someone else that they wrote a letter as prescribed with proof they were now British and 8 weeks later they received the certificate pursuant to section 143 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended). Their fingerprints were destroyed.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Amber_ wrote:Yes I have. I suggested to someone else that they wrote a letter as prescribed with proof they were now British and 8 weeks later they received the certificate pursuant to section 143 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended). Their fingerprints were destroyed.
Thanks Amber for the priceless info. Much appreciated!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Here is the letter I suggested:

The Immigration Fingerprint Bureau (IFB)
5th Floor, Lunar House
40, Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

DATE

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: Name, address, telephone number, DOB, BRP number.

I have recently been naturalised as a British Citizen (please find enclosed a copy of the certificate). As such, I request that you destroy my fingerprint/bio-metric record pursuant to section 143 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended). I expect this to be done as soon as is reasonably practicable and for you to issue a certificate with such effect as per section 143(13) Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended), this should be done within 3 months of this request.

I look forward to a prompt reply.

Yours Faithfully

SIGNED NAME

Enclose a copy of your BRP and certificate of naturalisation/registration and send by recorded delivery keeping proof of postage.

TTOE

Post by TTOE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Amber_ wrote:Here is the letter I suggested:

The Immigration Fingerprint Bureau (IFB)
5th Floor, Lunar House
40, Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

DATE

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: Name, address, telephone number, DOB, BRP number.

I have recently been naturalised as a British Citizen (please find enclosed a copy of the certificate). As such, I request that you destroy my fingerprint/bio-metric record pursuant to section 143 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended). I expect this to be done as soon as reasonably practicable and for you to issue a certificate with such effect as per section 143(13) Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended), this should be done within 3 months of this request.

I look forward to a prompt reply.

Yours Faithfully

SIGNED NAME

Enclose a copy of your BRP and certificate of naturalisation/registration and send by recorded delivery keeping proof of postage.
Ta very much Amber.

Jasper_X
Newly Registered

Post by Jasper_X » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 am

great post Amber,
I didn't know we could request them to destroy the biometric data.
I will write this letter as soon as I receive my certificate,I never felt good about having my fingerprints and biometric data stored somewhere..
and thanks for the letter sample.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi Amber,

Thank you very much for your support and the targeted and precise advice you provide on these forums.

On the topic of biometric data, it appears that the Home Office now deletes the biometric data automatically without being requested. Are you aware of any changes to UKV&I or HO procedure in this regards lately? Would you know if they are required to issue the certificate advising the person of the same or is such a certificate issued only on request by letter?
I just returned to the UK two days ago through Heathrow. When they used my BRP and asked for my fingerprint scan, nothing came up. Apparently things have changed, and they are not allowed to store British citizens fingerprints in the system anymore. Since I wasn't traveling with my naturalization certificate, I had to stand around and wait until they verified my citizenship. It only took a few minutes, but it did extend things a bit when entering the country.

So, I wouldn't recommend anyone traveling with their BRP after getting citizenship. The woman at immigration asked me if I had my certificate with me, and I said I didn't, as they didn't tell me when I received it that I would need it for travel. My suggestion is to definitely take your certificate with you as they will eventually delete your fingerprints from the system which basically invalidates your BRP for entering the country.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1055507

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:29 pm

I would still request it to be done. The changes may have come into affect under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

maggimark
Newly Registered

Re: Want your Biometric Data deleting once British?

Post by maggimark » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

does it only apply to british citizen? what if you acquire another eu member state citizen?

theprideofpak

Post by theprideofpak » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:56 am

Amber wrote:I would still request it to be done. The changes may have come into affect under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
Hello Amber
I asked the same question elsewhere and bumped up into this thread as well and here is my question....does HO require biometrics for citizenship application as I would have to be away for a month after applying for citizenship. Thanks

theprideofpak

Post by theprideofpak » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:05 am

Detailed legislation regarding use and retention of biometrics.
http://lexisweb.co.uk/acts/2014/immigra ... nformation

fwd079
Diamond Member

NEWS

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 pm

News:

The latest draft if comes into effect, will suggest you need to provide biometric information for Citizenship applications also. So this provision may be no longer valid for migrants outside EEA.
Use and retention of biometric information

7E. (1) Biometric information provided in accordance with these Regulations may be retained only if the Secretary of State thinks that it is necessary to retain it for use in connection with—

(a)the exercise of a function by virtue of the Immigration Acts; or

(b)the exercise of a function in relation to nationality.

(2) Biometric information retained by virtue of paragraph (1) may also be used—

(a)in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of an offence;

(b)for a purpose which appears to the Secretary of State to be required in order to protect national security;

(c)in connection with identifying persons who have died, or are suffering from illness or injury;

(d)for the purpose of ascertaining whether a person has acted unlawfully, or has obtained or sought anything to which the person is not legally entitled; and

(e)in connection with the exercise of a function concerning the entitlement of a person who is not a national of an EEA state or Switzerland to enter or remain in the United Kingdom by virtue of an enforceable EU right or of any provision made under section 2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972(5).
And:
EXPLANATORY NOTE
(This note is not part of the Regulations)

These Regulations amend the British Nationality (General) Regulations 2003 (“the 2003 Regulations”) to make provision for biometric information to be required with an application for registration or naturalisation as a British citizen.

Regulation 2 inserts a new Part IIA on biometric information and citizenship into the 2003 Regulations, comprising of new regulations 7A to 7I.

Inserted regulation 7A means that an applicant for registration or naturalisation as a British citizen must provide biometric information with this application when such information is required by an authorised person. This requirement is subject to inserted regulation 7B, which provides certain safeguards in respect of children under sixteen.

Section 10(3) of the Immigration Act 2014 inserts section 41(1ZA) into the British Nationality Act 1981. This section provides that “biometric information” and “authorised person” have the same meaning as in section 126 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 (as amended by section 12 of and Schedule 2 to the Immigration Act 2014).

Inserted regulation 7C sets out the various requirements that an authorised person may make of an individual regarding providing a record of the individual’s biometric information.

Inserted regulation 7D provides for the consequences of a failure to comply with a requirement of the Regulations.

Inserted regulations 7E to 7I make provision for the use, retention and destruction of biometric information provided under these Regulations. The other principal powers to retain biometric information referred to in new regulation 7I are currently, the Immigration (Biometric Registration) Regulations 2008(7), the British Nationality (General) Regulations 2003(8), section 143 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999(9) and section 127 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002(10).

A full regulatory impact assessment has not been produced for this instrument as no impact on the private or voluntary sectors is foreseen.
Thoughts anyone?

Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

zero1
Newly Registered

Post by zero1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 pm

When is this likely to come into force?

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Likely April 2015 with visa fees increase, but can never be sure, probably later or sooner than that. You can never know for sure.

digitalrev

Post by digitalrev » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm

I am bit puzzled with this new legislation, I read in other thread its became law now.

Biomatric information is mandatory for anyone applying for naturalisation.

Does it mean that applicant still have to use biomatric card even after he become naturalised as a british citizen, even after he/she obtained British passport? Specially when applicant re-enter to the united kingdom.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:12 pm

digitalrev wrote:I am bit puzzled with this new legislation, I read in other thread its became law now.

Does it mean that applicant still have to use biomatric card even after he become naturalised as a british citizen, even after he/she obtained British passport? Specially when applicant re-enter to the united kingdom.
Having re-read the legislation text again, I'm not totally sure that providing biometrics will be mandatory for everyone. Rather than say it WILL be required, the wording in the text says it MAY be required. But that might just be the language they've chose to use.

Either way, I don't believe the intention is for BRP's to be issued once naturalised.

Provision of biometric information with citizenship applications

7A.—(1) Subject to regulation 7B, where an individual makes an application for registration or naturalisation as a British citizen, an authorised person may require the individual to provide biometric

digitalrev

Post by digitalrev » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Thank you cs95tdg for taking time to reply.

Your reply in other thread make perfect sense to me.

once again thanks a lot.

Babloo85

Post by Babloo85 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Jasper_X wrote:great post Amber,
I didn't know we could request them to destroy the biometric data.
I will write this letter as soon as I receive my certificate,I never felt good about having my fingerprints and biometric data stored somewhere..
and thanks for the letter sample.
Hello Jasper,
Did you make request to get your data deleted and any response ? Am thinking to do it for myself but not really sure if it's the right department to contact or even if I can do it lols. Please let me know soon as possible. Thanks

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:34 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
digitalrev wrote:I am bit puzzled with this new legislation, I read in other thread its became law now.

Having re-read the legislation text again, I'm not totally sure that providing biometrics will be mandatory for everyone. Rather than say it WILL be required, the wording in the text says it MAY be required. But that might just be the language they've chose to use.

Either way, I don't believe the intention is for BRP's to be issued once naturalised.

Provision of biometric information with citizenship applications

7A.—(1) Subject to regulation 7B, where an individual makes an application for registration or naturalisation as a British citizen, an authorised person may require the individual to provide biometric
Looking at the latest AN form and guidance published yesterday, it is now definitely mandatory to submit biometrics (unless you fall under an exception). To be submitted at a post office, just as done before, for immigration applications.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Babloo85 wrote: Hello Jasper,
Did you make request to get your data deleted and any response ? Am thinking to do it for myself but not really sure if it's the right department to contact or even if I can do it lols. Please let me know soon as possible. Thanks
You dont need to anymore. According to Guide AN, which is much clearer now:

SECTION 6: BIOMETRIC ENROLMENT

As part of your application, you are required to enrol your biometric details for the purpose of identity verification. You must complete the biometric enrolment section of the application form. You will then be issued with an enrolment letter, instructing you to make an appointment at a designated Post Office to have your biometric details recorded.

You will be charged an additional handling fee for this service, payable to the Post Office Ltd. You must pay the fee by cash or debit card when you attend your biometric enrolment appointment.
Do not send the biometric enrolment fee with your application fee.
Your application may be rejected as invalid if you do not enrol your biometrics when requested. For more information about enrolling biometrics and the current fee, please visit the following section of our website: http://www.gov.uk/biometric-residencepermits.
If you have previously enrolled your biometric details and been issued with a biometric residence permit, you must include this with your application. You will not be issued with a new biometric permit, but your current biometric permit will be returned to you, and your fingerprint details will be retained until we are notified that you have attended your citizenship ceremony.

zero1
Newly Registered

Post by zero1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 am

fwd079 wrote:You dont need to anymore. According to Guide AN, which is much clearer now:

SECTION 6: BIOMETRIC ENROLMENT
your fingerprint details will be retained until we are notified that you have attended your citizenship ceremony.

My fingerprints were still in the system 8 weeks after attending my ceremony. I needed to travel after naturalisation so did not apply for a British passport until I came back. There was no problem with entering the UK on my foreign passport + BRP and my fingerprints were read normally. Also it was much faster as I was the only person in the queue :P

I had my citizenship certificate (which has now been mutilated by HMPO - I sent and they returned it in an A4 envelope, but it was still folded!!!) but there was no indication that the IO knew I was British already and I didn't mention it.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:19 am

New guidance came into effect on April 6, 2015.