ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit and Scottish Independence?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

HopefulGirl
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit and Scottish Independence?

Post by HopefulGirl » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm having a bit of a panic attack.

My Scottish fiance and I are about to get married, and then to move to The Netherlands. Me, on a student visa, and him, exercising his treaty rights and working. Once the years program is done, we were going to apply for an EEA Family Permit (so, I wouldn't be applying for this until early 2015) and move to Scotland together if that permit was granted.

But... Scotland is going for independence, and I think it's quite likely that they're going to get it.
My understanding is that Scotland wouldn't be viewed as separate from the UK until 2016, so I am assuming that the UK would still be the one to grant me the EEA Family permit. But, what happens once Scotland gets its independence?

Will my family permit be revoked, and will I have to move back to the US because Scotland is no longer in the EU?

I don't think anyone has the answers, but please, offer any insight you can. I am terrified. I am so tired of being away from him, and it kills me to think I will finally get close to where I want to be (with him) and then have him ripped away from me because of this

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: EEA Family Permit and Scottish Independence?

Post by Jambo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't think you should worry too much. There are so many uncertainties here that no one can tell what will happen but I would be very surprsied if something would change (even if Scotland becomes independant).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

I wonder why you think Scotland will gain independance...

Post by eldane » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 am

Fri February 7, 2014 8:59 a.m. GMT
Support for Scottish independence gains one point from January, but 52% would still say ‘no’

With seven months to go until the referendum on Scottish independence, a YouGov poll for The Sun tracking how Scots would vote finds little change since January. Then, as now, 52% would say ‘no’ to Scottish independence while 34% would say ‘yes’, up one point from January 21th-27th.
Source: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/02/07/sco ... -34-no-52/
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..