ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

longhorn1

English Language Requirement

Post by longhorn1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi,
I and my two daughters are about to apply for British Citizenship. Regarding the English Language requirement, both had their GCSEs A-levels here in the UK and are currently at University here (one in final year and the other in third year).
Though they don't have a degree yet, will their A-level GCSE qualifications along with a letter from their Uni satisfy the English Language requirement for BC application?
They both have ILR in their own names for the past 12 months and have been in the UK for over six years.

Casa

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:52 pm

All appproved B1 tests are listed here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

I'm assuming they passed the Life in the UK test for ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

longhorn1

Post by longhorn1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Casa wrote:All appproved B1 tests are listed here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

Thank you Casa. And yes, they both passed the Life in the UK test which was used for their ILR application.

longhorn1

Post by longhorn1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:28 pm

longhorn1 wrote:
Casa wrote:All appproved B1 tests are listed here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

Thank you Casa. And yes, they both passed the Life in the UK test which was used for their ILR application.
Further to your response, I also sent an email to the Home Office and below is their response for the benefit of those in similar situation:

HOME OFFICE REPLY (Re: GCSE and A-Level English language Qualifications):

'The requirement is set at B1 of the CEFR in order to test proficiency in spoken English. We will accept a wide range of qualifications, but GCSE and A level qualifications are not included. This is because they are a different type of examination; they are not primarily speaking and listening qualifications and are not mapped to the CEFR. They are therefore not accepted for settlement and citizenship purposes.

English language qualifications used to demonstrate knowledge of language must be at Entry level 3 or above. The qualification must include speaking and listening and either:
- be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland,
- be on our published list of recognised English tests and qualifications, or
- be a National qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and taken in Scotland.
I trust this answers your question.

Regards