ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

admission to uk with residence card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

praff2013
Newly Registered

admission to uk with residence card

Post by praff2013 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:26 pm

hi every one out there, i just got my uk residence card about 2 month ago. im planing to go back to my country for one month with out my wife . I'm wondering if I'll be having any problems with the immigration officer when i come back to UK. my wife will be here when i come back.
Does any one out there been through this situation?
what the immigration officer normally questions in such situation?
any comments, advice and the shared experience relating to this post will be much much appreciated guys! thank you

dalebutt

Re: admission to uk with residence card

Post by dalebutt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 pm

If your relationship is genuine, nothing needs worrying about , they would not ask a question you would not have an answer for, nothing outside of the ordinary. Where is your wife? what is she doing in the UK? what nationality is your wife?

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Oh thank you very much I'm so relief!! I'm just worrying because I have never travelled with uk residence card. Any way how do you know that they gonna ask those question only ? You been in same situation as mine?

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 pm

It depends on your history as well. From personal experience they once did even while returning with spouse. It nothing you should worry about though.

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:00 am

Alright thank you for replying. I'm just getting ready to travel alone nepal and coming back to uk with uk residence card. Let's see how it goes. Hopefully everything goes nicely! So nervous :(

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:06 pm

It's absolutely fine to travel on your residence card, but if you are travelling alone and your wife is not meeting you at the airport, make sure that she has access to a telephone when you are due to go through immigration, because they can stop and question you, and they may want to speak to your wife.

Most of the time this doesn't happen, but it can and does happen, and it did happen to my husband when he travelled alone. They stopped him and questioned him, and then they phoned me and questioned me.

They also advised me that if I hadn't answered my phone they would have detained him, in spite of us having no adverse immigration history and his residence card having only been recently issued at the time, which I was shocked about.

Personally, I'd aways travel with photocopies of your wedding certificate, your wifes passport, and some other documents recently issued to you both in the UK, like a copy of a recent payslip belonging to your wife. It's unnecessary, but if you are unlucky enough to be stopped it will makes things much clearer and easier.

In spite of all this, relax, you are entitled and free to travel with the residence card, remember that :-)

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:34 am

Thank you so much for the detailed information Elizabeth09. I didn't expect this much information in this post. I'm more than confident now about this. I would definitely take your advice to take some photocopies of marriage certificate for just in case. My wife will be coming to pick me up in airport when I arrive. Once again many thanks for giving me this valuable information Elizabeth09, I really appreciate it! I'll post my travel experience when I come back to uk :) . I'm feeling so relief thank you very much every one especially to Elizabeth09. You're a star!:)

AngieD

Post by AngieD » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi - My husband has re entered the UK with his RC a few time - he has been questioned once at Heathrow. They did try to telephone me but I was driving at the time.

A Senior Border Guard was called and he was fine.

I would advise to travel with your marriage certificate , in the unlikely event of your being stopped and questioned. They do have the right to find out if your EU Spouse is indeed in the UK.

My husband is also in Nepal and is there right now. He will be travelling back to the UK in around 10 days time, and I intend to go to the airport to meet up with him, and take our marriage cert with me, as he forgot to take it with him this time.

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Thank you very much for sharing your experience Angie d. My wife will be coming to pick me up when I arrive in uk with original marriage certificate, plus I'll me taking photocopy of marriage certificate, some payslip of my wife and other relevant document as a proof for back up.
Any way I feel so good and relieved as lot of great people in this in this forum shared their experience and gave me valuable advice to me about my situation which means a lot for me. Thank you very much every one out there who have me a lot confidence and support.:)

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:49 pm

praff2013 wrote:Thank you so much for the detailed information Elizabeth09. I didn't expect this much information in this post. I'm more than confident now about this. I would definitely take your advice to take some photocopies of marriage certificate for just in case. My wife will be coming to pick me up in airport when I arrive. Once again many thanks for giving me this valuable information Elizabeth09, I really appreciate it! I'll post my travel experience when I come back to uk :) . I'm feeling so relief thank you very much every one especially to Elizabeth09. You're a star!:)
You're very welcome, enjoy your trip home :)

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Elizabeth06 wrote:
praff2013 wrote:Thank you so much for the detailed information Elizabeth09. I didn't expect this much information in this post. I'm more than confident now about this. I would definitely take your advice to take some photocopies of marriage certificate for just in case. My wife will be coming to pick me up in airport when I arrive. Once again many thanks for giving me this valuable information Elizabeth09, I really appreciate it! I'll post my travel experience when I come back to uk :) . I'm feeling so relief thank you very much every one especially to Elizabeth09. You're a star!:)[thank you so much once again!

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Thank you very much once again Elizabeth! :)

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 pm

AngieD wrote:Hi - My husband has re entered the UK with his RC a few time - he has been questioned once at Heathrow. They did try to telephone me but I was driving at the time.

A Senior Border Guard was called and he was fine.

I would advise to travel with your marriage certificate , in the unlikely event of your being stopped and questioned. They do have the right to find out if your EU Spouse is indeed in the UK.

My husband is also in Nepal and is there right now. He will be travelling back to the UK in around 10 days time, and I intend to go to the airport to meet up with him, and take our marriage cert with me, as he forgot to take it with him this time.
Thank you soo much :)

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:00 pm

praff2013 wrote:
Elizabeth06 wrote:
praff2013 wrote:Thank you so much for the detailed information Elizabeth09. I didn't expect this much information in this post. I'm more than confident now about this. I would definitely take your advice to take some photocopies of marriage certificate for just in case. My wife will be coming to pick me up in airport when I arrive. Once again many thanks for giving me this valuable information Elizabeth09, I really appreciate it! I'll post my travel experience when I come back to uk :) . I'm feeling so relief thank you very much every one especially to Elizabeth09. You're a star!:)[thank you so much once again!

Thank you soo much once again!

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Border Force Operations Manual

5.4 No evidence that the EEA national is in the UK

When a person‟s admission is based on the EEA national being in the UK the onus is
on the passenger to provide this evidence. It‟s reasonable to expect the family
member to provide evidence on the day of arrival. If not, one further interview
represents adequate opportunity. When considering the location of the EEA national
ports must take account of the fact that an EEA national can be absent for up to 6
months per year without affecting the family members right of residence

Refusals:

3 Non-EEA family members of EEA nationals

3.1 EEA family permit holders

If they are joining the EEA national the onus is on the passenger to prove that the
EEA national is in the UK.

Regulation 20 gives power to revoke family permits on grounds of public policy,
health and security OR if the person is no longer the family member of an EEA
national OR the family member is refused admission because he is not
accompanying or joining an EEA national who has a right to reside (1) under the EEA
Regulations.

However, as such persons are entitled to an in country right of appeal, ports
should not physically cancel the permit until all appeal rights are exhausted.

(1). Right to reside: Where a person already has acquired a right to reside in the UK (holding a
registration certificate or residence card)

Resident card holders don't need to worry.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:Border Force Operations Manual

5.4 No evidence that the EEA national is in the UK

When a person‟s admission is based on the EEA national being in the UK the onus is
on the passenger to provide this evidence. It‟s reasonable to expect the family
member to provide evidence on the day of arrival. If not, one further interview
represents adequate opportunity. When considering the location of the EEA national
ports must take account of the fact that an EEA national can be absent for up to 6
months per year without affecting the family members right of residence

Refusals:

3 Non-EEA family members of EEA nationals

3.1 EEA family permit holders

If they are joining the EEA national the onus is on the passenger to prove that the
EEA national is in the UK.

Regulation 20 gives power to revoke family permits on grounds of public policy,
health and security OR if the person is no longer the family member of an EEA
national OR the family member is refused admission because he is not
accompanying or joining an EEA national who has a right to reside (1) under the EEA
Regulations.

However, as such persons are entitled to an in country right of appeal, ports
should not physically cancel the permit until all appeal rights are exhausted.

(1). Right to reside: Where a person already has acquired a right to reside in the UK (holding a
registration certificate or residence card)

Resident card holders don't need to worry.
Thank you very much mate , this information proves that I don't need to worry especially when I have residence card aswell as my wife is coming to pick me up at airport when I arrive :)

matt234
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by matt234 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi guys,
Just thought I'd share my latest experience travelling from and back to the UK with EEA2 RC.
I got a Schengen visa as my wife wasn't traveling with me.
Boarded a KLM flight to Berlin and had stopover at Amsterdam.

At Amsterdam:
Dutch Immigration officer: Where is your final destination today?
Me: Berlin
Dutch Immigration officer: What is the purpose of your trip?
Me: To see a friend
He then flips through my passport, while doing that, I told him my wife is an EU national and I live in London. He then noticed and scanned my data page and RC to check if they were genuine.
Dutch Immigration officer: Do you have a return ticket to London (I wonder why he asked, maybe he thought I'd prefer to stay in the Schengen area illegally)
Me: Yes, I do.
He stamped my passport and let me through.

On my way back, at London City Airport:
UK Border officer: Hello
Me: Hi (handed my passport over to the Border officer)
UK Border officer: So you're married to an EEA national? (closely examining my residence card)
Me: Yes, I am.
UK Border officer: What nationality is she?
Me: Spanish
UK Border officer: Thank you and welcome back.
Me: Thank you.

So easy. No stamp on my passport and I didn't fill landing card, although I was armed with my marriage certificate, reference letter from my wife's employer and UK Border force Operations manual prohibiting border officers from endorsing my passport etc.

I think it all depends on how confident you are at the entry port. If you know what you're doing, then all will go well by God's grace. Good luck to those who want to travel with their RCs.

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:57 pm

hi did anyone traveled on RC ISSUED on isd A4 PAPER immigration status documents . and what was there experience going to eu countries and coming back?
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm

toofan wrote:hi did anyone traveled on RC ISSUED on isd A4 PAPER immigration status documents . and what was there experience going to eu countries and coming back?

What do you mean by RC issued on isd A4 paper ?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:37 pm

praff2013 wrote:
toofan wrote:hi did anyone traveled on RC ISSUED on isd A4 PAPER immigration status documents . and what was there experience going to eu countries and coming back?

If the Home Office doesn't have your passport when it's time to issue your RC they will put it on an A4 page, called an Immigration Status Document.

It's the same as having it in your passport but you need to be careful not to lose it!

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:02 pm

chaoclive wrote:
praff2013 wrote:

If the Home Office doesn't have your passport when it's time to issue your RC they will put it on an A4 page, called an Immigration Status Document.

It's the same as having it in your passport but you need to be careful not to lose it!
alright I had it in my passport

ice_breaker
Mood:
Saudi Arabia

Post by ice_breaker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 pm

I have a residence card and recently traveled to Norway and came back without my EU wife. I was going to Norway from Gatwick and the only thing they ask was If my wife is in UK! I said No she is in Norway. He asked if she moved back to Norway? I said no she be coming back. AND on way back to london they asked the same question that if my wife is in UK, i said no she will be coming back next week and then he ask his colleague if he need to stamp my passport. His colleague saw the visa and said no need. and that was it.

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 pm

ice_breaker wrote:I have a residence card and recently traveled to Norway and came back without my EU wife. I was going to Norway from Gatwick and the only thing they ask was If my wife is in UK! I said No she is in Norway. He asked if she moved back to Norway? I said no she be coming back. AND on way back to london they asked the same question that if my wife is in UK, i said no she will be coming back next week and then he ask his colleague if he need to stamp my passport. His colleague saw the visa and said no need. and that was it.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I'm travelling to my country next month hopefully everything's gonna be fine when I come back. My wife will be picking me up in the airport but still bit nervous because it's my first time travelling with residence card

ice_breaker
Mood:
Saudi Arabia

Post by ice_breaker » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:13 am

praff2013 wrote:
ice_breaker wrote:I have a residence card and recently traveled to Norway and came back without my EU wife. I was going to Norway from Gatwick and the only thing they ask was If my wife is in UK! I said No she is in Norway. He asked if she moved back to Norway? I said no she be coming back. AND on way back to london they asked the same question that if my wife is in UK, i said no she will be coming back next week and then he ask his colleague if he need to stamp my passport. His colleague saw the visa and said no need. and that was it.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I'm travelling to my country next month hopefully everything's gonna be fine when I come back. My wife will be picking me up in the airport but still bit nervous because it's my first time travelling with residence card
Even if they ask it will be basic questions. like where you coming from?? where is the wife?? Just be confident. smile and stay friendly and join the EU line when you reach immigration desk . No need of landing card either.

praff2013
Newly Registered

Post by praff2013 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am

ice_breaker wrote:
praff2013 wrote:
Even if they ask it will be basic questions. like where you coming from?? where is the wife?? Just be confident. smile and stay friendly and join the EU line when you reach immigration desk . No need of landing card either.
Thanks for the suggestion! I know there is no need to fill landing card but are you sure if it is ok to join EU line with the residence card ?