ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for child or PIO for child who had Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

call2bala

OCI for child or PIO for child who had Indian passport

Post by call2bala » Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 pm

Dear Experts

My 2 years old son had Indian passport (born in UK) and last week he received British Passport. myself and my wife are still on ILR and I will apply for Naturalised citizenship in 1 month time and I will get British Passport in 3-4 months time.

I am wondering If my son is eligible to apply for OCI by surrendering Indian passport?

Or Does he only qualify for PIO?

Please advise me how should i approach for OCI or PIO for my child?

Thanks

man4uni

Re: OCI for child or PIO for child who had Indian passport

Post by man4uni » Wed May 14, 2014 10:36 am

call2bala wrote:Dear Experts

My 2 years old son had Indian passport (born in UK) and last week he received British Passport. myself and my wife are still on ILR and I will apply for Naturalised citizenship in 1 month time and I will get British Passport in 3-4 months time.

I am wondering If my son is eligible to apply for OCI by surrendering Indian passport?

Or Does he only qualify for PIO?

Please advise me how should i approach for OCI or PIO for my child?

Thanks
Your son is very much eligible for OCI however, you cannot apply for his OCI until one of the parents are eligible for OCI

(d) OCI Applications for minor children

Please note that one of the parents should have foreign nationality and he/she should be eligible for OCI before applying OCI for his/her minor children

Reference - https://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html#clr

call2bala

Post by call2bala » Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

My son got Indian passport and we will surrender his Indian passport soon and I will get my British citizenship results in 3 months time.

I assumed I can apply for OCI directly for him before one of his parents get BC.

If we want to go to India , Do I need to apply tourist visa for him or Is it ok to apply PIO and then once i get British citizenship I will apply for his OCI along with me.

Thanks

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 am

call2bala wrote:Many thanks for your reply.

My son got Indian passport and we will surrender his Indian passport soon and I will get my British citizenship results in 3 months time.

I assumed I can apply for OCI directly for him before one of his parents get BC.

If we want to go to India , Do I need to apply tourist visa for him or Is it ok to apply PIO and then once i get British citizenship I will apply for his OCI along with me.

Thanks
It's a tough call! If you are planning to take your kid for less than 6 months I would suggest go for tourist visa which costs less than the PIO
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa_fees.html

Once you are eligible for OCI, you can apply for him too.

rambler
Newly Registered

Post by rambler » Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am

get a PIO first. It is faster as well takes 2-4 weeks (at least that is what they say on the High Commission's website)

You can apply for his OCI later when you apply for yours.

call2bala

Post by call2bala » Thu May 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Many Thanks for suggestion.

I have send my baby's passport for surrender few days ago.If we apply PIO for him now and later can i change that to OCI?

By having PIO is he going to loose some benefits for OCI?

Sorry to ask you this question because I could not find any rules regarding conversion of PIO to OCI.