ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Came across a terrible experience at Luton Airport

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ripon
Newly Registered

Came across a terrible experience at Luton Airport

Post by Ripon » Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi guys just to inform you my experience from a short holiday from turkey at luton airport. I went turkey with my mum who is us green card holder and has 5 years multiple visa for uk. also my sister (who is uk citizen) was with us. my mum came in the uk last december to attend in my marriage ceremony . the immigration officer ask me about my mums return ticket. I told him it is an online ticket and i dont have the printed copy with me. he said i have to see it. i told him let me check my email and show it to you. then he asked me what date the ticket is?

The ticket date was changed from 12th may to 12th november as there was no alternatives to keep the ticket open return. the immigration officer then started checking what date my mum came and how many days she stayed. it was less then 6 months. then the officer went inside and spoken to his superiors may be. then he returned and ask me what i was doing here. i told him I am doing a business on marketing promotion. tell me a-z about your your business. I told him about my business. then he replied i need to ask you more questions just seat over there.

after one hour the officer comeback with a detention letter for us. my mum is an old lady and using a wheel chair. Me and my mum was waiting there for another hour. then they took us in the quarantine room to check our baggage. there were two officers. only the restricted things they found some of my mums medicines which was originally prescribed in the US but due to shortage of it she had to taken it from local chemist by using uk gp. then they asked me which gp she was using. I said i dont know anything about the address of the gp. after that we were taken to the place where we were sitting first.

after another one hour they comeback and told our sister you are a british citizen we have no issue with you so you can go but we need to interview them. then we were taken in the detention room. they asked if we need anything to eat. i replied yes my mum is an old lady with certain medical condition. she has diabetics, high blood-pressure and other diseases. she needs to eat her lunch and medicine. they gave us a box lunch to eat however we ate nothing due to the terrible experience.

we were treated like a criminal and degraded by them. i was feeling sorry for my mum as she never had any experience with police or any enforcement officers. moreover she was so tired as we started our journey early morning and then harassing by the immigration. I asked one of the officer if he is ready to take my interview.

he was having his coffee. he said yes i'm ready when you are. I told him i'm ready lets start. he asked me if i want any drink. i told him a cup of coffee will be nice however they did not give me. the interview took nearly two hours. its all about my personal life, my wife's life history, my education, my work history, all of my business details. for example, how much i have invested, how much money I have in my hand, where did i get the money from, how many employees i will be taken, how much salary i will pay to them, i much profit i have earned, who is my client, what his position is, how did i find him, who was my last customer, what i did for him, how much i earn from there, why did not i invest the full amount.

I told them i just received my business visa about three weeks ago, and after my initial application refused it took two years time to get it, i was in business activities but i continued with my job as well. and as my marital status has changed, I married to a british citizen, now I am thinking to apply for FLR(M). then they asked me what is FLR(M). I explained them. after my interview, they took my mum to interview her.

after another two hours two officers came with some papers and fingerprint tools to take our fingerprints. They took our fingerprints in a paper. after another two hours one of the officers came to me and told me that we refused your mum entry. now we will send her back to turkey unless you provide us a valid tickets to us or your country within 7 days. Then I told him it is pointless to send her back to turkey. she will go usa. then I changed the return ticket of my mum by paying $200.

later, after another 120 minutes, the officer comeback with my mums removal later and he kept her passport. he told she must has to stay in the same address mentioned in your boarding pass and attend certain time according to the ticket. the reason ukba mentioned in the letter are mainly my mums return ticket is after 181 days and she took prescribed medicines from uk without any travel health insurance.

I have given/propose to give directions for your removal to usa
Your right of appeal is limited under section 88(2) and/or 89(3) (as appropriate) because it was taken on the grounds that you/the person whom you are dependent:

# is/ are seeking to be in the UK for period longer than is permitted by immigration rules
# is/are seeking to enter the UK for a purpose other than one for which entry is permitted by immigration rules (section 88(2)(d)2

he given me back my passport and resident permit back but showed they wrote a ref number in my passport and told me I will be in trouble in the future. he also told me we only giving you back as your wife is a british and if we remove you she will bring you back. it took 13 hours all together guys.

thank you for your time in reading my experience. brothers and sisters be aware of any worst experience from the border agency and plan your journey properly if any one in need. I would like to ask all the experts in this board about my mum situation. Is there any potentials to appeal on my mum visa to keep it alive? will they cancel the remaining years of her visa on her departure? can she travel again in the UK or she will be banned for another 10 years?

also what trouble is waiting for me in the future? I am planning to apply for FLR(M) soon. please share any ideas.

ishfaqsangra
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Re: Came across a terrible experience at Luton Airport

Post by ishfaqsangra » Mon May 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Very sad,

pukhtoonyar

Post by pukhtoonyar » Mon May 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Its happen to me .2 years ago they write a ref on my passport
I travel twice after that specially on heathrow thay asking me questions in future its will give u little problem but m not sure .last time the immigration officer ask me many questions .dont put ur old passport with ur news passport hold it in your pocket when they ask u then show them otherwise dont show

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Tue May 20, 2014 6:21 am

@ Ripon, why didn't your sister who is a British citizen handle the case rather than you.
If your sister had handle the case, the questions might have been reduced and your mother wouldnt have been put through that experience.

Since your mum have now been given deportation order, you guys can still appeal the decision and see if you will be able to fight the case.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

NAR

Post by NAR » Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Really sorry all of you had to go through that. That's bad. I just arrived to Gatwick couple of hours ago on my 5 year visit visa. Three questions: how long you here for? 5 days. What is the purpose of your visit? Part pleasure, part business. What is the business part? I am looking to establish a business here and I am just researching this. Stamped and says welcome.

I think your case was really a cascading sequence of events that precisely had to occur for all of this to happen. If your mom return ticket was much shorter they probably did not need to check further. If they did not find drugs from the UK which did not help that also would have changed things. Most probably they suspected NHS abuse and when they seen your mom in wheel chair with uk drugs and a very long stay that could have triggered their removal procedure.

I don't think you need to worry yourself anyway. The rules are very clear and they can try to let you say some wrong answer to use it against you but your visa allows you to stay outside the UK for 180 days in 12 cal. months so even if you travel one week of each month, they can't refuse your entry (but be sure that all the money keep staying available to you and that you registered as self employed or director, basically if you going to travel a lot which means more contacts with UKBA then just make sure all are in order just in case they decided to ask for more docs to verify the money are still available).

I am for one going to use the 180 days almost fully as I have another business overseas and needs to be there at least 5 months across the year and planning to be around 6 weeks uk then two weeks overseas and so on every couple of months.

passion5

Post by passion5 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:45 am

i suggest you to speak to your local MP and take the matter further. Your MP will advice you what to do next.

suvalike
Member of Standing

Post by suvalike » Thu May 22, 2014 12:10 pm

They should not bother for your mom.She was on visit visa and with return ticket.If she is registered with GP and GP has prescribed her medicines that is absolutely fine.Its allowed to register with GP as long as surgery accept.
Its absolutely insane behavior by immigration staff.

confused90

Post by confused90 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:45 pm

I feel so bad reading this post. If they'd treat either of my parents the same way, I wouldn't know how I would react.

Another friend of mine also had an issue at Luton airport, apparently the immigration officer told my friend that he'll slap him if he doesn't stop smiling.

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:51 pm

HMMM was he allowed to enter UK?
confused90 wrote:I feel so bad reading this post. If they'd treat either of my parents the same way, I wouldn't know how I would react.

Another friend of mine also had an issue at Luton airport, apparently the immigration officer told my friend that he'll slap him if he doesn't stop smiling.

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm

confused90 wrote:Another friend of mine also had an issue at Luton airport, apparently the immigration officer told my friend that he'll slap him if he doesn't stop smiling.
Apparently, Golden opportunity (to become rich instantly) missed :D

Headz
Newly Registered

Post by Headz » Thu May 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Landed at Birmingham airport last week.

Got visa in October last year stayed in UK for 3 months and then left ,came back after 4 months the immigration officer asked me following questions,

Q- What is your business?
A- Business consultancy

Q- Do you have office?
A- No, i am working from home

Q- Do you have business Cards or Letter head?
A- No

Q- you should have started the business by now?
A- i have incorporated the company and am trying to start the business as i am supposed to establish business in 3 years.

Q- Do you have any employees?
A- No

Q- why you stayed out of UK for so long?
A- due to personal as well as business reasons,

After asking these questions the I/O consulted his colleague who told her that you cannot deny him the entry as he has valid visa and is with in residency requirement, he also said some thing which i couldn't hear and then the immigration officer stamped my passport but wrote a code on the stamp.

the code is VIPP or VIDP

What does this means?

Any one with this experience?

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 pm

HMM thanks for sharing, i think they write reference or code on every time they stamp passport so no need to worry about that reference. As in my case whenever they stamped my passport they always write reference on stamp.

Headz wrote:Landed at Birmingham airport last week.

Got visa in October last year stayed in UK for 3 months and then left ,came back after 4 months the immigration officer asked me following questions,

Q- What is your business?
A- Business consultancy

Q- Do you have office?
A- No, i am working from home

Q- Do you have business Cards or Letter head?
A- No

Q- you should have started the business by now?
A- i have incorporated the company and am trying to start the business as i am supposed to establish business in 3 years.

Q- Do you have any employees?
A- No

Q- why you stayed out of UK for so long?
A- due to personal as well as business reasons,

After asking these questions the I/O consulted his colleague who told her that you cannot deny him the entry as he has valid visa and is with in residency requirement, he also said some thing which i couldn't hear and then the immigration officer stamped my passport but wrote a code on the stamp.

the code is VIPP or VIDP

What does this means?

Headz
Newly Registered

Post by Headz » Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Great !
I am relieved otherwise i thought she had red flagged my passport.

Does your stamp have similar sort of reference i.e in alphabets ?

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:28 pm

True :-)

BlackBirdSSG wrote:
confused90 wrote:Another friend of mine also had an issue at Luton airport, apparently the immigration officer told my friend that he'll slap him if he doesn't stop smiling.

Ripon
Newly Registered

Post by Ripon » Thu May 22, 2014 3:08 pm

pukhtoonyar wrote:Its happen to me .2 years ago they write a ref on my passport
I travel twice after that specially on heathrow thay asking me questions in future its will give u little problem but m not sure .last time the immigration officer ask me many questions .dont put ur old passport with ur news passport hold it in your pocket when they ask u then show them otherwise dont show

Thank you for your comment and valuable advice.

Ripon
Newly Registered

Post by Ripon » Thu May 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Olasunkanmi wrote:@ Ripon, why didn't your sister who is a British citizen handle the case rather than you.
If your sister had handle the case, the questions might have been reduced and your mother wouldnt have been put through that experience.

Since your mum have now been given deportation order, you guys can still appeal the decision and see if you will be able to fight the case.
Thank you Olasunkanmi for your opinion. My sister tried to handle my mums immigration, but she was denied by the immigration officer as there are different counters for Uk/Eu and others. It was not a busy environment, therefore I had to come out and accompany my mum in the immigration counter.

We have appealed against the decision and my mum staying with us now. Any guidance for the appeal?

confused90

Post by confused90 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:32 pm

entrepreneur123 wrote:True :-)

BlackBirdSSG wrote:
Yes, he was allowed entry. It was his first time entry to the UK, and he was just glad that he reached London finally :P

NAR

Post by NAR » Thu May 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Headz wrote: the code is VIPP or VIDP

What does this means?

VIPP : visa in previous passport. So your visa SHOULD be in your old passport. If it's not, then it can only mean: Very Important Polite Person :wink:

Headz
Newly Registered

Post by Headz » Thu May 22, 2014 8:42 pm

NAR wrote:
Headz wrote: the code is VIPP or VIDP

What does this means?

VIPP : visa in previous passport. So your visa SHOULD be in your old passport. If it's not, then it can only mean: Very Important Polite Person :wink:
Yes the visa is on previous passport.

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Fri May 23, 2014 5:46 pm

@ Ripon, who was your mum's sponsor on her visit visa? If its your sister, then the immigration officers were wrong to have stop her to help your mum during the encounter at the airport.

As it stand if your sister is your mum sponsor, then your appeal is very likely to be successful if you guys can get a very good human right barrister.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.