ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visitor Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

coolrock

Family visitor Visa

Post by coolrock » Tue May 20, 2014 11:06 am

HI All,

I am British Citizen and I am planning to apply for Family Visitor Visa for my parents for 2 years.

They have already visited UK under the same visa Category in 2011, but I applied for 6 months at that time.

How successful will be a 2 year family visitor visa?

Do you think it's advisable to apply for 2 years or just stick with 6 months please?

Thanks,

ban.s

Re: Family visitor Visa

Post by ban.s » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

if they intend to visit frequently in the 2 year period then go for long term visa else 6 months.

coolrock

Post by coolrock » Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes they do, but are they really granting 2 years visas?

Reason, I was once told don't apply for 10 year visa, as they never provide 10 year visa even though the option is available

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 pm

My wife's mother and brother have both had 2 year and 5 year visitor visas respectively.

I've argued they don't visit often enough to justify the cost - but they run their own businesses in their home country - so the cost of gathering all the docs every time they want to visit outweighs the cost of the visa.

So they do issue the long term visas - but you have to show a history of compliance.

coolrock

Post by coolrock » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 am

OK great.

So say if they get 2 year visa, I know that they are allowed to stay in the UK just for 6 months in one go and then they have to return home.

Can they again come back in say in a month's time and stay here for say next 4 to 5 months?

or

Is it defo, ONLY 6 months in a year?

Thanks

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:09 pm

The official policy is that they must not appear to be residing in the UK.

So that *could* mean someone with a legitimate reason spending 9 months in 12 in the UK.

However, the old policy was no more than 6 in 12 and since we don't have a firm number to go on - it's the best number for us to carry on using.

If they were in the UK for 6 months, left for 5 and then returned - they'd probably be ok. Leaving for just a month is probably going to throw up major red flags if they intend to stay for 4-5 months.