ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship by Descent Loophole?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jsm1
Newly Registered

Citizenship by Descent Loophole?

Post by jsm1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 am

Hi,

Four of my great-grandparents were born in Ireland, making my grandfather and father entitled to Irish citizenship (with my father eligible through FBR). Unfortunately, my father did not register with the FBR before I was born, and from my research, that prevents me from claiming citizenship, although my future children might be able to?

I was wondering if there was any means through which I could still claim citizenship. My grandfather and grandmother, being the children of Irish-born individuals, do not have to claim citizenship through the FBR, but simply have to be naturalized, if I am understanding correctly. If they are automatically entitled to citizenship from birth, would I be able to claim citizenship from them?
Obviously the laws state that I'm not entitled to citizenship due to my father's failure to register in the FBR from my birth, but it's frustrating knowing that I would have been able to if he did!

I have heard rumors of individuals in my situation being approved for citizenship if they first had their grandparents submit materials, then their parents, and then themselves (presumably a fortunate error on the consulate's part). Is this a valid option? Are there any loopholes to rectify my father's mistake!?

If all else fails, would I be able to claim naturalization through Irish associations? I intend to attend graduate school in Ireland, would four great-grandparents born on the Island be sufficient to qualify for this?

barnaby

Re: Citizenship by Descent Loophole?

Post by barnaby » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14 pm

I would be surprised if this were possible. (I also registered in the FBR too late for my children to claim citizenship.) So I would be interested if you can find the answer!

BTW, your grandparents don't need to be naturalized; they are deemed to be Irish citizens already.

doesnotcompute

Re: Citizenship by Descent Loophole?

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:07 am

jsm1 wrote:Hi,

Four of my great-grandparents were born in Ireland, making my grandfather and father entitled to Irish citizenship (with my father eligible through FBR). Unfortunately, my father did not register with the FBR before I was born, and from my research, that prevents me from claiming citizenship, although my future children might be able to?
Half correct. The line of heritage in FBR terms stopped with your father unfortunately. Because your father did not acquire citizenship through FBR prior to your birth, neither you nor your children are able to use this route unfortunately.
jsm1 wrote:I was wondering if there was any means through which I could still claim citizenship. My grandfather and grandmother, being the children of Irish-born individuals, do not have to claim citizenship through the FBR, but simply have to be naturalized, if I am understanding correctly. If they are automatically entitled to citizenship from birth, would I be able to claim citizenship from them?
No, they don't need to be naturalised - they would be considered to be entitled to Irish citizenship automatically from birth outside of Ireland. All they had to do to was to apply for an Irish passport in order to claim that enitlement.
jsm1 wrote: Obviously the laws state that I'm not entitled to citizenship due to my father's failure to register in the FBR from my birth, but it's frustrating knowing that I would have been able to if he did!

I have heard rumors of individuals in my situation being approved for citizenship if they first had their grandparents submit materials, then their parents, and then themselves (presumably a fortunate error on the consulate's part). Is this a valid option? Are there any loopholes to rectify my father's mistake!?
I've never heard of this, but if you were to claim citizenship on the basis of a clerical error, it could be revoked at any moment if they scrutinise your file at any point in the future. Wouldn't you rather do things correctly?
jsm1 wrote:If all else fails, would I be able to claim naturalization through Irish associations? I intend to attend graduate school in Ireland, would four great-grandparents born on the Island be sufficient to qualify for this?
Yes, it seems like your only option is claiming naturalisation on the basis of Irish Associations,