ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My First Adult Passport from Abroad- A nightmare

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mk357
Member of Standing

My First Adult Passport from Abroad- A nightmare

Post by mk357 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience with those who want to apply for their first UK passport, from abroad, after naturalisation. My first and immediate advice to all those who intend to do so would be please get it in UK, prolong your stay if you can and get it in UK. The reason for it is the experience I got while going through such a nightmare.
I came to my home country soon after naturalisation due to the reason that my mother was not well. I had to stay with her for a few months but then prolonged my stay for some other domestic reasons so I thought I would apply for the first British Passport here in the home town. I asked about the time and was told that it might take 5-6 months so I was OK with that as I had to stay here for more that period. Initially, I sent a draft of the required amount in UK pounds and send the naturalisation certificate alongwith my recent pictures and application form which I got referreed in the UK before I came here. Thats when my nightmare started. How here is the story:
1. After a week I personally submitted my application at the High Commission, I got a call from the HC and was asked that I haven't submitted complete documents with the application so I need to submit that and the bank draft should be in the local currency rather then in pounds. They asked me that detail of the documents required would be listed in the letter they would send me.
2. A few days later I received all my documents alongwith a letter which detailed the documents I was required to send with the application. When I saw the list my head started spinning. Here is the list I was supposed to send with the application:
a. Parents Birth certificate.
b. Parents marriage certificate.
c. My birth certificate.
d. All my passports that I have owned since the first one.
e. All my wife passports since the first one.
f. My Marriage certificate.
g. My Marriage pictures.
h.Children birth certificates.
3. My parents are born before 1940 when there was no Birth and Death certificates issuance body, so you would know how difficult it was for me to obtain such certificates. Anyway, I got them after a few weeks of hectic efforts and again visited the High Commission personally and submitted the documents.
4. After about 6-7 months I got a call for some additional documents. Like one of my old passport was missing and they asked about it, I said I don't have it, its missing. So they asked me for an undertaking that the passport has gone missing. By that time I was very depressed as I was only waiting for the passport and my family waiting in UK for me. So I asked the High Commission that I just want to withdraw the application and I would apply in UK, but the person said that my application is in advanced stage and it won't take longer and that I would loose the money as well if I withdraw the application. So I thought OK I'll wait for a few more weeks.
5. After about 1-2 months of the telephonic conversation with the High Commission I received a letter for an interview which was 3 months later. The letter also said to bring one of my parent with me and a cousin who knows me well. This was another nightmare as my mother is bed riddedn and father has passed away. My cousins who live far away from me in another city wouldn't know about my details, like when did I first goto UK, where do I live etc and so many personal questions.
6. Anyway, I took along my daughter with me who recently came from UK on a vacation. Initially, the receptionist asked me about my parent and cousins, I said they couldn't come only my daughter has accompanied me, he said it might be difficult to have an interview today. I said its fine just give me my documents back. I had already been waiting for the passport for the last over one year by then anyway.
7. Luckily, I was called for the interview and here are the questions I was asked:
a. Can I confirm that I have seen the interviewer for the first time and whether I know her from before.
b. My name and date of birth.
c. My wife and children names, date of birth and where were they born.
d. My parents names and spelling.
e. What do I do for living.
f. When did I goto UK for the first time.
g. Do I have a UK driving licence and National Insurance Number.
h. Where do I live in UK and who owns the house.
i. Why do I want British Passport.
j. How do I know my referee.
Some other questions which I don't recall now.
8. In the end the Passport Officer told me that she would review all the answers I gave, and compare it with my daughter's answers and would then decide whether to issue me passport or not and as there is no middle way. Either I would get it or not. She also said that I would receive a letter in 4 weeks about the decision after which I have to book an appointment with the High Commission to get my documents and hopefully passport personally. All inn all it would take 13-14 months for a final outcome which is still unknown.

I hope this helps all those who want to apply for their first passport from outside UK. My advice would be: PLEASE AVOID applying for the first from outside UK.

Regards.