ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Process/timing following application submission

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wf
Member of Standing

Process/timing following application submission

Post by wf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:50 pm

I am eligible for citizenship on 1 July 2015.

Say I submit my application that day via NCS, which I believe allows me to keep my passport.

1) If I then left the UK, is it correct I do not need to be back in the UK until the ceremony?
2) Do I get to choose the date of the ceremony? If yes, how long can it be delayed?
3) Can anyone give me a (current) ballpark length of time between application submission and ceremony?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Process/timing following application submission

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 pm

wf wrote:I am eligible for citizenship on 1 July 2015.

Say I submit my application that day via NCS, which I believe allows me to keep my passport.

1) If I then left the UK, is it correct I do not need to be back in the UK until the ceremony? You get an approval letter and an invitation to book the ceremony which needs to be done within 2 weeks of the letter, so you if you are not going to be in the UK, best you have someone checking your post.
2) Do I get to choose the date of the ceremony? If yes, how long can it be delayed? You will need to contact your council and book the ceremony, they will tell you when they have available. You have to attend the ceremony within 90 days of your approval letter, otherwise your certificate is sent back and you will probably have to apply and pay the fee again.
3) Can anyone give me a (current) ballpark length of time between application submission and ceremony? Between the date HO receives your application and receiving approval letter can be anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months, but is generally about 2/3 months.

Thanks
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks very much
otherwise your certificate is sent back
Is the certificate sent to the council, who send it back to whoever issued it if an appointment is not booked in 90 days?

Is there any other way to speed up the pplication, it seems there is no equivalent to PEO for citizenship?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm

It appears from the following post that it would be possible to leave immediately after the application, then do the ceremony outside of the UK:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ml#p700076

Can anyone confirm this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Have you read point 6.11.22.11 on page 61 of the link Jambo provided? It refers to applications under section 6(2), which is a spouse of a British Citizen which can be considered to be transferred abroad. Is your spouse British??

If not, transferring your ceremony abroad will be more difficult as point 6.11.22.12 indicates as a normal application is under Section 6(1) of the BNA and could raise doubts about 'future intentions'
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, I am not applying through a British spouse.