ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Valid EEA Permanent Residence Card / Expired Passport

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

beehive

Valid EEA Permanent Residence Card / Expired Passport

Post by beehive » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Hello all,

Need some advice, I have been order a new contractor but just found out my password has expired even though my EEA residence permit is still valid. The agency is now saying there is a law ( passed this May) regarding this issue which makes my residency invalid.

Thanks in advance

Imshzd

Re: Valid EEA Permanent Residence Card / Expired Passport

Post by Imshzd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 pm

False information.
There is no such laws.

beehive

Post by beehive » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks very much for the responses.

Is there any official website that provides information regarding this so I can email to the agency please? Thanks

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:31 am

Renew the passport then carry both passports. However, you can transfer your RC on new passport but its optional.
https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

beehive

Post by beehive » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:22 am

Thanks!

I just called the employee check service at the home Office and they are saying since May this year, the visa has to be endorsed in a valid passport. Confirming what the agency said. The advisor I spoke to said a Biometric card can be applied for instead.

Why is the Home Office not making this clear on their website? That is quite upsetting actually

beehive

Post by beehive » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:37 am

This is the link stating the new laws from May
There seem to be an exception for EEA family members so why was I told differently by the home office advisor

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 07-14.pdfA summary of the changes to right to work checks which employers need to be aware of
and understand is as follows:
 We have reduced the list of acceptable documents for right to work checks –
we have removed travel documents, work permits and general Home Office letters
from the lists. We have specified that all documents which contain an expiry date must
now be current (except those showing that the holder is a British citizen, a citizen of
the UK and Colonies having the right of abode, a national of an European Economic
Area (EEA) country or Switzerland or their family members with permanent
residence).

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am

beehive wrote:This is the link stating the new laws from May
There seem to be an exception for EEA family members so why was I told differently by the home office advisor

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 07-14.pdfA summary of the changes to right to work checks which employers need to be aware of
and understand is as follows:
 We have reduced the list of acceptable documents for right to work checks –
we have removed travel documents, work permits and general Home Office letters
from the lists. We have specified that all documents which contain an expiry date must
now be current (except those showing that the holder is a British citizen, a citizen of
the UK and Colonies having the right of abode, a national of an European Economic
Area (EEA) country or Switzerland or their family members with permanent
residence).
This is quite frustrating. During the last 4 years I've used my EEA2 residence card, which was affixed in an expired passport. I have never faced any issues in the border or anywhere else. The EEA2 residence card vignette is a document on itself, with its own expiry date. Why would the expiry date of another document have any impact on the residence card itself?

I wonder how this came through. It will only force people to reapply to EEA2, generating even more load to the already overloaded European Casework team. Of course, it gives the Home Office another opportunity to reject applications, which I guess was their main reason for implementing such stupid check.

beehive

Post by beehive » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 am

I have been informed to apply for a Biometric Residence Card and of course renew my non-EU passport. It is all money making.
Unfortunately, I am unable to take the new contract until I have all of this done.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:47 am

Hubba wrote:This is quite frustrating. During the last 4 years I've used my EEA2 residence card, which was affixed in an expired passport. I have never faced any issues in the border or anywhere else. The EEA2 residence card vignette is a document on itself, with its own expiry date. Why would the expiry date of another document have any impact on the residence card itself?

I wonder how this came through. It will only force people to reapply to EEA2, generating even more load to the already overloaded European Casework team. Of course, it gives the Home Office another opportunity to reject applications, which I guess was their main reason for implementing such stupid check.
Taking into consideration these new guidelines, I'd recommend everyone to ask their passports back when applying to either EEA2 or EEA4, in order to avoid having the vignette affixed in a passport. These documents' validity (5 and 10 years, respectively) will most of the times be greater than someone's current passport (some countries' passports are only valid for 5 years if issued by embassies abroad). Better have the vignette separate from the passport then.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 am

beehive wrote:I have been informed to apply for a Biometric Residence Card and of course renew my non-EU passport. It is all money making.
Unfortunately, I am unable to take the new contract until I have all of this done.
There are no biometric residence cards for EEA nationals or family members, so basically you have to go through the EEA2/EEA4 process again.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:49 pm

I think you not read carefully the quote which you pasted above specially the one between (). It does not applies in your case.
REGARDS

Tristan
Newly Registered

Post by Tristan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 pm

sheraz7 wrote:I think you not read carefully the quote which you pasted above specially the one between (). It does not applies in your case.
Conflictingly, on page 33, it also says this:

"When a Residence Card, Accession Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card is contained in a passport, that passport must be current."

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 pm

If the holder can travel with valid RC on expired passport while having a renewed passport too then it should be acceptable to employers as well. If you have reached to the stage of upgrading your PR into British citizenship then doing that maybe more wise.
REGARDS

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:20 pm

sheraz7 wrote:If the holder can travel with valid RC on expired passport while having a renewed passport too then it should be acceptable to employers as well. If you have reached to the stage of upgrading your PR into British citizenship then doing that maybe more wise.
I agree with you, it should, but here we have a document from the Home Office, indicating otherwise.

I've got my PR 2 months ago, in a recently renewed passport (got tired of carrying two passports after 4 years), but I won't wait a day to apply for my naturalisation when the time comes. The HO keeps moving the goal posts when it comes to their implementation of EEA law.

anastas86
Newly Registered

Post by anastas86 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:03 am

Hi all

I have a residency of Family member of EEA on an expired Passport and a new valid passport, as you know i dont need a visa in Europe if travelling with my Spouse ?

my question is : does this still apply even if the residency card is on an expired passport

thanks in advance

mxcouk
Newly Registered

Post by mxcouk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:36 am

anastas86 wrote:Hi all

I have a residency of Family member of EEA on an expired Passport and a new valid passport, as you know i dont need a visa in Europe if travelling with my Spouse ?

my question is : does this still apply even if the residency card is on an expired passport

thanks in advance
Yes, Carry with the two passports and show the rc to the authorities, it's still valid.

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:48 pm

From 6th April, all residence cards will be issued as biometric cards. You will have to pay an extra £20 at the post office for them to check your biometric information, on top of the residence card application fee of £65. I think this is better as it will prevent the pain of having to explain the problem of having a residence card in an expired passport.

liane25

Post by liane25 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:46 am

rosebead wrote:From 6th April, all residence cards will be issued as biometric cards. You will have to pay an extra £20 at the post office for them to check your biometric information, on top of the residence card application fee of £65. I think this is better as it will prevent the pain of having to explain the problem of having a residence card in an expired passport.
I am a direct family member of EEA national and I would like to ask if I needed to apply for a new residence card. My RC was attached to my now expired passport (it expired on feb 2015).
I will be flying on July and applying for a new one would take months and I am not sure if I can get it before I fly on July. Can I still carry both passport or is it really necessary to apply for a new one? And in few months I will be qualified to apply for BC, just feeling a bit confused. Please do help me with this. Your advises will be much appreciated.

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Sun May 03, 2015 1:16 pm

^ The residence card is still valid as long as it hasn't passed its expiry date. I've read accounts of people travelling in the EU all the time with current visas in expired passports, although you might get the odd border guard or airline staff who hasn't been trained properly who might give you hassle but they would be in the wrong. That's why I think it's far better to have the residence card separate from the passport to avoid any confusion, something which most other EU countries have been doing for a long time.

liane25

Post by liane25 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:23 pm

rosebead wrote:^ The residence card is still valid as long as it hasn't passed its expiry date. I've read accounts of people travelling in the EU all the time with current visas in expired passports, although you might get the odd border guard or airline staff who hasn't been trained properly who might give you hassle but they would be in the wrong. That's why I think it's far better to have the residence card separate from the passport to avoid any confusion, something which most other EU countries have been doing for a long time.
Thank you very much. I really hope I wouldn't encounter any problem when I fly in July. I will only be in EU country and traveling with my husband.

Jeani
Newly Registered

Post by Jeani » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi All,

I need some advice regarding my current permanent residence card- it was issued last feb 2014 and is valid for 10 years- however it is in my Australian passport which is due to expire in october this year 2015. I need to get it renewed as you have to 6 months prior to it expiring- and I'm wondering if it's ok to travel with the old passport with the permanent residence card? If anyone can offer any advice that would be much appreciated or had any recent experience to share on the matter that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

baagii_nats
Newly Registered

Post by baagii_nats » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:03 am

I have my RC as an Immigration Status document which is separate paper. I cut it halp and put in passport holder. :) Since i got it, i went so many different EU countries and as well as non EU countries. I didn't had any problems before.
But last week when i entered through Heathrow, officer told me that i damaged the paper. He said that we need to keep it as it is. So i need to apply new one. But i don't want to fill all details again. I called Home Office and asked about that. Lady said now all residence cards become Biometric card. Does anyone applied for new biometric cards recently?
Does anyone know about how to get it easier? DO I HAVE TO FILL THAT ALL 91 PAGES OF EEA2 FORM?