ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does claiming Housing benefit affects British Citizenship?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Does claiming Housing benefit affects British Citizenship?

Post by greenpeace » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi All,

I would really appreciate if you could help me out with the following situation. Many thanks in advance.
My husband is a EEA citizen and I am non-EEA family member. We both living in UK for last 6 years and we both have obtained our Permanent Residence card in UK. Now my husband is going to study full-time and not working, I work full time , but the money I earn is not enough. So, I am thinking to claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

My question is, as a Permanent Resident in UK, can I claim housing benefit/ council tax benefit?

If I claim these benefits , will that affect my naturalization application when I apply for British citizenshi
p?

My nationality is Srilankan( Asian) and I am a Permanent Resident in UK. I got this after EEA4.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank you so much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Does claiming Housing benefit affects British Citizenshi

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:45 am

No effect on citizenship. You are entitled to claim benefits which you qualify for.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 am

CR001 wrote:No effect on citizenship. You are entitled to claim benefits which you qualify for.

Thank youso much for the reply.

As my husband is an EEA nation with permanent residence card in Uk, can he claims housing benefit and council tax benefit instead of me? Is there any difference who make the claim? Does it going to affect at all in our citizenship application?

Bear in mind , my husband is not working now and will not work for another 3 years as he is going to study full time in UK and he is going to apply for tuition fee loan, maintenance loan, maintenance grant etc. And I m the non-eea family member with Permanent residence and I am working full time.

I am really sorry to ask you very similar question again. I have no knowledge regarding claiming benefits. I would really appreciate if you could clarify me in details . Under no circumstances, I do not want to make negative effects on our citizenship application.

It would be very helpful if you could advise me what benefits I m entitled to as a permanent residence of UK without affecting our citizenship application.

Many thanks in advance and eagerly waiting for your valuable reply.

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:26 pm

greenpeace wrote:
CR001 wrote:No effect on citizenship. You are entitled to claim benefits which you qualify for.

Thank youso much for the reply.

As my husband is an EEA nation with permanent residence card in Uk, can he claims housing benefit and council tax benefit instead of me? Is there any difference who make the claim? Does it going to affect at all in our citizenship application?

Bear in mind , my husband is not working now and will not work for another 3 years as he is going to study full time in UK and he is going to apply for tuition fee loan, maintenance loan, maintenance grant etc. And I m the non-eea family member with Permanent residence and I am working full time.

I am really sorry to ask you very similar question again. I have no knowledge regarding claiming benefits. I would really appreciate if you could clarify me in details . Under no circumstances, I do not want to make negative effects on our citizenship application.

It would be very helpful if you could advise me what benefits I m entitled to as a permanent residence of UK without affecting our citizenship application.

Many thanks in advance and eagerly waiting for your valuable reply.
Hi, CR001/ John / Amber,

Can anyone please clarify me with the above situation asap.

Many thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Means tested benefit have to be in joint names in respect of couples.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Amber wrote:Means tested benefit have to be in joint names in respect of couples.
Hi Amber, thanks lot for your reply. Could you please also advice me on the below situation in details. Many thanks.

Hi All,

I would really appreciate if you could help me out with the following situation. Many thanks in advance.
My husband is a EEA citizen and I am non-EEA family member. We both living in UK for last 6 years and we both have obtained our Permanent Residence card in UK. Now my husband is going to study full-time and not working, I work full time , but the money I earn is not enough. So, I am thinking to claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

My question is, as a Permanent Resident in UK, can I claim housing benefit/ council tax benefit?

If I claim these benefits , will that affect my naturalization application when I apply for British citizenship?

My nationality is Srilankan( Asian) and I am a Permanent Resident in UK. I got this after EEA4.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank you so much.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Yes you can claim benefits as you're settled.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Amber wrote:Yes you can claim benefits as you're settled.
Thank you so much Amber for the very quick reply. I would be very much greatful if you could also advise me on this questions.

If I claim housing benefit / council tax benefit , will it make any negative affect on my naturalization application?

Can my husband also claim housing benefit if he is an eea citizen, have permanent residence status in UK, but he is a full time student and not working .

Many thanks in advance. Your advice is highly appreciated and that will give me relief in my difficult situation.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:27 am

You're going round in circles! There is no problem claiming benefits you're entitled to.

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 am

Amber wrote:You're going round in circles! There is no problem claiming benefits you're entitled to.
Thank you so much Amber. I am really sorry to go around. I was really confused as I did not claim benefit before and I never wanted to claim benefits, at least not before British Citizenship. I am due to apply for naturaluzation in January 2015. But now I have no choice but have to apply for housing benefit and council tax benefit. Reallly I am scared to claim benefits so that it wont affect my naturalization.

But now your advice makes me relief and relaxed. Thank you so much . I really appreciate your time and help. God bless you .

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 am

Amber wrote:You're going round in circles! There is no problem claiming benefits you're entitled to.
Amber, as you are very helpful, I was wondering if you could advise me what is the difference between having permanent residence status in UK and having British citizenship?

does the both status have same rights when you are inside UK?

Many thanks Amber.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:46 am

Having British citizenship means you're British, something that's irrevocable, but for the powers invested in the Home Secretary (likely to widen).

Being settled means that you are no longer subject to immigration control, having no time or work restrictions, but it can be lost if you leave the UK for more than 2 years.

greenpeace
Newly Registered

Post by greenpeace » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:20 pm

Amber wrote:Having British citizenship means you're British, something that's irrevocable, but for the powers invested in the Home Secretary (likely to widen).

Being settled means that you are no longer subject to immigration control, having no time or work restrictions, but it can be lost if you leave the UK for more than 2 years.
Thanks lot Amber. You are really helpful. I appreciate your kindness.

Many thanks.

ryan2020
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ryan2020 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 am

Amber wrote:Having British citizenship means you're British, something that's irrevocable, but for the powers invested in the Home Secretary (likely to widen).

Hi Amber ,

As per my knowledge , they made the LAW in 2005 or 2007 that nationality is revocable if there is national security threat.

I don't know how far its true !

Please confirm

ryan

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes I stated but for the Homr Secretrary's Powerd if you read what I wrote.