ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My Sister (PTSD) and Neice! Please help Amber!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Trickytok

My Sister (PTSD) and Neice! Please help Amber!

Post by Trickytok » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi,
My widow sister is suffering from PTSD for last 5 years and has been living alone with her kid(now 6 years) while doing a govt job. Her conditions has worsened and we all are scared for her and the kid.

Someone from family (UK) goes to her every few months, but she is now on brink of it!

What is the best solution?

1. UK citizen sister uses the EEA route and brings both of them as dependednts after she leaves govt job.
She is not financially dependent at the moment but emotionally she is almost drained out and we are really scared for her..

2. We call her on a long term 10 year visit visa and she goes back for a week or so every 6 months and adopt her kid so that kids education doesnt suffer!

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: My Sister (PTSD) and Neice! Please help Amber!

Post by MPH80 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Option 1 will require the UK Citizen sister to move to an EU country and exercise her treaty rights (practically working), have the sister in the other country become financially dependant on her and then move to live with her in the other EU country for a period before she returns. The rules currently say that the UK citizen must move the 'centre of their life' to the new country - e.g. they can't just go there for a month - they have to move.

It's likely those rules will be under scrutiny in the next couple of years, but for now they stand.

Option 2 won't work. The sister won't get a 10 year visitor visa without having a history of regular visits to the UK. Even if she got the visa - by leaving for a week every 6 months she would be defacto living in the UK and would be refused entry as a visitor. Adopting the kid would also be likely to fail as UKBA have specific rules against 'gifting' of children to gain them an immigration advantage. E.g. if the child isn't in circumstances necessary for adoption (which the child *might* be here) they will simply refuse the visa.

Given the circumstances with the mother - you might have to be faced with the idea that the mother be declared unfit to look after her child, and then separate the child from the mother.

I would suggest considering option 3 - someone relocates to live with her.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 pm

Option 4. Ask your sister what would be me most help to her

Option 5. Pay for private medical treatment and/or a talking therapy where she lives now

Option 6. Pay some of her living expenses so she can concentrate on her health

Option 7. Working may actually be benefiting her mental health

Option 8. She comes for a family visit and accesses some private treatment here

Option 9. You remember that people recover from mental health problems, and one in four people get them, before deciding to sever all legal ties, and legal rights to her child

Option 10. I could probably think of another, but perhaps your sister might have a suggestion.

Trickytok

Post by Trickytok » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:20 am

Someone from family stays there and accompnies her 7-8 months out of 12 at the moment!
Thanks all for all the options! I am grateful for the concern!