ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling from Ireland to UK without a FP

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Travelling from Ireland to UK without a FP

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:59 am

Hi

My non-eu husband has a 5 yr Ireland GNIB resident card. If we were to travel from Dublin to Heathrow, would we have any problems travelling without a valid UK family permit. Last time my husband has a valid UK FP but there were no controls in the UK. We can't remember if his passport (for a visa) was checked on Dublin airport or if it was just for ID.

Has anyone had any experiences? What airline would you suggest using? Aer lingus? BA?

I know the alternatives like driving to Belfast and taking a flight or going by ferry, but we have quite a bit of luggage and would prefer to go direct.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling from Ireland to UK without a FP

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Can anyone help please?

My husband has applied for a UK resident card and its in process so he has a COA as well, if that helps with travelling from Dublin to Heathrow.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 am

Would it be safer to go via Belfast or can we just take a flight directly from Dublin to the UK. Please can someone advise.. we will be travelling soon and would like to book tickets asap.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Should be fine. There is no border control between the countries and the CoA is helping in case someone asks questions.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Thank you so much Jambo.

Just thought I'd share our experience. We were returning from overseas and my husbands family permit had expired so we decided to come through Ireland as my husband has a valid Ireland resident card.

We were worried how it would work out as we had a lot of luggage as well and knew we would need to get it checked in. We entered Dublin and then went through to terminal 1. We checked in online and had our boarding passes on our mobiles.

We had booked 2 extra luggage bags in additional to 2 already included with our tickets so we had to go to the bag drop. The lady at the desk asked for our passports and when he saw my husbands Pakistani passport she flipped through it and asked if he had a visa for the UK.

My husband said he has an Ireland resident card, she had a look and then looked at us confused. She then asked a colleague next to her and she answered I think thats fine. After putting our luggage through, she looked at us again and said sorry, I'm still not 100% sure so I'll just call up and ask.

She called someone and she was explaining what kind of Ireland visa my husband had in the passport. After a while she got up and went to the lady at the BA reservations desk and showed her the docs. She came back and said yeah, its completely fine! She gave us our printed boarding passes and we went through.

There were no other checks on the way and no border controls on terminal 1 either.

jbminger
Ireland

Post by jbminger » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 pm

So you're back in the UK?

I really wish airlines would stop 'playing' immigration. like Ryan Air needed to verify documents of non EU travelers...isn't there a title for people who do that? immigration officers? not gate agents...

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:51 pm

haha! yes, we are back in the UK. Still waiting for the re-consideration!

We want to rent out a new place and the landlord wants to know my husbands status. Would they accept the Ireland resident card and and simply say hes a 'spouse of an EU citizen'? Who can they contact to confirm a spouse of an EU citizen is legal in the UK?!