ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier2 extension - for 6 months

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ganeshan
Newly Registered

Tier2 extension - for 6 months

Post by Ganeshan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Dear all;
I have a question with 6 month visa extension to be eligible for ILR. I have been granted 4 and half month worth of visa on two occasions which is due to expire next march 2015. To be eligible for ILR, I need only 6 months. However, when I apply for the next extension,
1. can we put two years on the COS? My understanding is that the visa will be granted only for 6 months whatever we put on the COS as 5 years is the maximum I can get. Therefore is there a problem if we put 2 years on the COS?
2. The other issue Is that I complete my 10 year long residence in May 15. In that case, is it a good idea to apply for ILR Based on the 10 year rule in May 15 or 5 year tier2 rule in nov 15?

Many thanks guys in advance :roll: much appreciated

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Tier2 extension - for 6 months

Post by iworker » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:58 am

if you get a cos for 2 years, u will get a visa for 2 years. There is no such limit of 5 years of total tier 2 visa.
whether to apply as tier 2 to ILR or take the LR for applying ILR will depend if you have any dependents. If you do have dependents and they have been here for few years, then it is best to wait and apply through 5 years on tier 2 as applying under 10 years route will make your dependents to wait for another 5 years before they qualify for ILR.

mbz17
Newly Registered

Post by mbz17 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:58 pm

iworker wrote:if you get a cos for 2 years, u will get a visa for 2 years. There is no such limit of 5 years of total tier 2 visa.
whether to apply as tier 2 to ILR or take the LR for applying ILR will depend if you have any dependents. If you do have dependents and they have been here for few years, then it is best to wait and apply through 5 years on tier 2 as applying under 10 years route will make your dependents to wait for another 5 years before they qualify for ILR.

Ganeshan
Newly Registered

Post by Ganeshan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks

I thought there is a limit of 5 years. Do you have any idea about that 5 year story please?
I see this sentence very often in the rules. After the new rules, it is 6 years isn't it?

Pardon for my ignorance if I interpret the sentence wrongly.

Thanks again

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 am

since you are here before the 6 years limit for tier 2, you are not under the new rules.
Under old rules, there is no limit of 5 years what soever. you will be elegible to apply for ilr after 5 years of being on tier 2 if you satisfy other requirements of tier 2. You can also keep extending tier 2 should you wish so.

Ganeshan
Newly Registered

Post by Ganeshan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks.