ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU1 decision: 2-year Stamp 4

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Platinum

EU1 decision: 2-year Stamp 4

Post by Platinum » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:47 am

Hi all. Got my EU1 decision from the DoJ in the post this morning.

No 5-year residency, but I've been given permission for a 2-year Stamp 4, which allows me to live and work in Ireland.

Important details on my case:
American married to UK citizen
No previous residence in another EU country
applied Jan '07

Some possibly useful facts:
1. We didn't send in our passports. We heard people were having trouble getting their passports back so we sent in copies. Not even certified copies, just really good, clear colour photocopies.
2. We had asked Sean Smith of SOLVIT for help a couple of months ago. He got back to us saying the DoJ were going to give me the Stamp 4 "in a few weeks".

The really funny thing is that, since we suspected for a long time that we'd get rejected for the EU1, and therefore would have to move, my husband has already told his boss he can't renew his contract. Also, I've been searching for jobs in Ireland and there aren't really many options for me, so it looks very likely that we'll just move to the UK anyway. At least the Stamp 4 will allow me to apply via EEA family permit route to the UK.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 am

Hi Platinum,

Glad to hear you finally got the Stamp 4. Sorry to hear that your husband has already quit his job :(

Best of luck with your decision on where to reside. At least now you have choices on what to do.

limey

Post by limey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:43 pm

Congratulations!

Is it worth your husband asking his employer if they can issue him another contract. I'm sure they would rather that happened than having to train someone else up.

Unless you had already resigned and prepared yourself to the moving to the UK. Dealing with immigration is a bit of an emotional roller-coaster at the best of times!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Platinum,
appreciate your letting us know...Can you please add some more details for everyone's help?
1. Did you receive a letter from DOJ asking you to come collect the stamp at the GNIB or did you go to GNIB directly and ask them to issue you with one?
2.Did you lobby for the stamp through the T.D or send a letter through a lawyer?
thanks!

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 pm

1. Did you receive a letter from DOJ asking you to come collect the stamp at the GNIB or did you go to GNIB directly and ask them to issue you with one?
I got a letter from the DoJ. I've tried going to the GNIB multiple times to get any kind of stamp from them, and it's always been useless.
Did you lobby for the stamp through the T.D or send a letter through a lawyer?
Nope. I wrote Brian Lenihan (twice!) and never even received a "thanks for your e-mail" reply. We didn't get a lawyer (Ha!- with the money from one job?). The only thing we did was go to the Irish SOLVIT guys.

I don't know if they're doing this Stamp 4 thing for everyone. I asked SOLVIT when they got back to me about mine, but he said he didn't know what the DoJ was doing, but they were supposed to meet with them.

I hope they've met and got some stuff done, because with the EU spouse work permit route now closed, a bad situation has gotten worse!

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:41 am

Platinum, I applied in January 2007 too....so maybe I will be getting a response soon. Do you think that contacting Solvit encouraged DOJ to speed up the process? I filed an electronic complaint with the Irish Solvit; though, I haven't called them. Also, I know that the Dutch Solvit took my immigration reference number and are supposed to be looking into my case. Do you think I should push more with the Irish Solvit...it's just the Dutch counterpart always writes back so quickly...and actually seems to listen to me!

I would settle for a 2-year stamp...Our original plan was only to stay here for a couple years anyway. But, now with the Spousal EU on hold, I am really scared! I have an interview on Tuesday, and if I can't convince them that they can supply me with some sort of work permit...I bet I am screwed. I am interviewing for a research position in a hospital, and since they often have international staff, I am hoping that they may be more understanding.....Ack, my biggest fear is that I am going to go, and they will say, "Sorry, we thought you already had a residence card!" I mean, do you know how hard it is to find a damn epidemiologist job in this country!!! If this Irish hospital doesn't work out, I hope this job I am trying for in Germany comes through!!!
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:20 pm

BAWS, I don't know if contacting SOLVIT made the process any faster. I guess since we only had to wait a bit over seven months for a decision, it is faster than people who've waited nearly a year.

I called SOLVIT Ireland and explained the situation first. Sean Smith then asked for copies of our passports and marriage certificate and other documents. I e-mailed those to him. He said he'd talk to the DoJ for us, but stressed that he can't guarantee anything. If the DoJ didn't want to listen, there was nothing he could do. I asked if it would be useful for me to also file a formal complaint with SOLVIT via the web, and he said, No.

I was impressed that he obviously talked to the DoJ about our particular case, with our details, rather than just a general EU1 complaint. I followed up every week or so with an e-mail asking how things were going. It took less than a month before he got back to us about the DoJ's decision on our case. It then took another month or so before the DoJ sent us the letter.

To be honest, when I called, I told him that we'd already given up on residency in Ireland, and what we wanted was just some official passport stamp or letter so that I could apply for a UK visa from Dublin instead of flying over to the US to do so.

BA, I totally understand your frustration about the job hunt. It's difficult enough as it is (I'm highly trained, but in a very specific field, and recruiters have flat out told me there are no jobs for me here). Not having a work permit just makes one more huge obstacle. Honestly, it's one big reason why we decided to go over to the UK. The job prospects are just much better there for me.

jack_in_the box

Post by jack_in_the box » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't know where I got my luck from (or the lack there of). Been living in Ireland for 6 years. Go married to an EU National over a year ago. Applied for my EU1 in July 2006, waited 9 months to the day & got rejected - for not having resided in ANOTHER EU state before coming to Ireland. SO living & working here legally for 5 years before means nothing? This palce is a joke!!!

I too was dealing with SOLVIT, but for me they couldn't do anything apart from liase with the DoJ & let me know there was nothing they can do.

Anybody have sugestions as what to do next seeing as they seem to be handing out EU1's again?

checo
Newly Registered

Post by checo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:19 am

Hi jack_in_the box, yeah, maybe you could contact your EU spouse's embassy and ask how to get residency in that country, if it is easy enough, do it and re-apply for EU1 with that residency. Then thy would probably give you 5 year residence card. Also appeal DoJ's decision , that will give you few months extra time. Immigrant Council of Ireland can help you with the appeal letter.