ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveled after Naturalization before applying for Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dvadithala

Traveled after Naturalization before applying for Passport

Post by dvadithala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently British Citizen and about to apply for the British Passport. I've received Citizenship on 15th August, 2014. However, I've just realized that I've traveled twice with Indian Passport. I thought it's OKAY to travel with Indian Passport until I get the British Passport and I was thinking British Passport is the ultimate citizenship instead of the ceremony (I know it sounds silly but well I didn't pay attention). Now, I realized that I've traveled twice on Indian Passport once within 3 months grace period and second time after 3 months grace period.

I understand that I should pay penalty of £145 apart from the fee for my second trip with Indian Passport... Is there anything I should be worried about whilst surrendering the Indian Passport and will it cause any problem while applying for OCI?

Any previous experiences shared will be greatly appreciated. Please can you share your experiences...

Thanks,
Me

sagareva
BANNED

Re: Traveled after Naturalization before applying for Passpo

Post by sagareva » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:58 pm

what do you mean by "received citizenship"? did you actually attend a citizenship ceremony?

and what sort of "grace period" are you talking about
**Please note, you can no longer contact me by PM because owners of this board accused me of using it to recruit clients, and disabled my ability to read and send PMs.**

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Thank you for your response.

"Received citizenship" means - Attended the ceremony and got the Naturalization certificate from the council. This happened on 15th August.

"Grace Period" means - 90 days or 3 months period which is offered by Indian Govt to use the Indian Passport for trveling after foreign citizenship.

Please let me know if this is not clear. My concern is that I have traveled out in ignorance after the 3 months grace period. I'm worried that if I will have problems getting OCI for the above reason.

Any experiences or guidance would give me peace of mind. I'm struggling to sleep and can't stop thinking about it.

Thanks again.

Me

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Maybe this link can help:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... i#p1128284

I think If your travel dates fall outside the 90 days of grace period from naturalisation then you'll need to pay penalty of £145 per travel.
I am sometimes wrong.

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Thank you. Yes, I understand that I need to pay £145. I'm more concerned if I'll have any issues while applying OCI. That's my main concern.

Please help.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:06 pm

I would say that this query would be best responded to in the Other Countries forum, rather than the British Citizenship forum.

As an aside, the date of the citizenship ceremony is slightly ironic, is it not?

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Sorry, if I have posted in wrong group.

Very true regarding the date. :)

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:33 pm

I missed that one about the date...good one :)
I am sometimes wrong.

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Please can anyone share some experiences regarding my scenario? I.e. what will be the implications of traveling after thr e 3 months grace period?

Will I lose the eligibility of applying OCI card? Is there imprisonment? I don't mind paying the fine. This issue is stressing me big time. Please help me.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:54 pm

dvadithala wrote:Please can anyone share some experiences regarding my scenario? I.e. what will be the implications of traveling after thr e 3 months grace period?

Will I lose the eligibility of applying OCI card? Is there imprisonment? I don't mind paying the fine. This issue is stressing me big time. Please help me.
The whole no-dual-citizenship-for-Indians has turned into a profit center for India and that is all it is intended to be. Further, you will only have to pay the fine when you surrender your passport (or if you are caught trying to use the passport again at a controlled entry point in India). As long as you meet the qualifications, including providing your surrender certificate, you will be alright. If you never go back to India again, no fine to pay.

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:44 am

Thank you. ouflak1 - That makes sense. I'm a bit relieved to know that there's no drastic reaction for my fault! I'm hoping it's not going to big issue as long as I pay the fine.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:41 am

See also renunciation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Thank you Vinny.

I've called VFS and told them about my situation. They said - I need to pay the penalty and that's decided by Indian High Commission. And I was told that I'll be okay to apply OCI after surrendering the passport. A bit sigh of relief!!

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 pm

Passport surrender and OCI are two separate processes.

A surrender certificate will be issued once applicable fees including any penalty is paid.

For OCI you'll need to produce the surrender certificate. Whether you paid any penalty in obtaining the certiciate has no bearing on the OCI application.

dvadithala

Post by dvadithala » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Thank you all.

Hopefully this will help someone like me. I've surrendered the passport without any hassle and without any fine. About to apply for OCI and hoping that they won't charge me at OCI.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:24 am

Hmm..good for you and good luck with OCI.
There shouldn't be any issue as you'll need to submit only the surrender certificate.