ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement confusion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

phospholipid

English language requirement confusion

Post by phospholipid » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:44 pm

My mother has a certificate for ESOL Skills for Life - Level Certificate (Speaking and Listening) at Level 1 and also the ESOL Skills for life - Level Certificate (Speaking and listening) Entry 3 and I'm not sure if these are sufficient.

Using this: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf
The second bulletpoint states that "The applicant must have studied at an accredited institution
on a course of study which uses specified citizenship based teaching materials and have
demonstrated progression from one ESOL level to the next." How do I know if her institution uses a specified citizenship based teaching material and how she can prove she has progressed from one ESOL level to the next?

vinny

Re: English language requirement confusion

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm

That's not applicable anymore. Go further down the document to
How will the Requirement be met?

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the KoLL requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless the individual is exempt (see below). Applicants will be required to:
pass the Life in the UK test; and
have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent
level qualification
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:01 pm

vinny wrote:That's not applicable anymore. Go further down the document to
How will the Requirement be met?

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the KoLL requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless the individual is exempt (see below). Applicants will be required to:
pass the Life in the UK test; and
have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent
level qualification
ah, so either of the qualifications listed will be enough?

hsmpaspirant2008

Post by hsmpaspirant2008 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Both of these will be required if the applicant falls under the age group of this requirement.

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:06 pm

Why both?

Malik44

Post by Malik44 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:28 pm

both means Life in UK test and B1 entry level 3
w.e.f. 28 Oct 2013 applicants have to meet both requirement now.

jara777
Newly Registered

Post by jara777 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Gurus, I passed my Life in the UK test in September 2013 and ESOL level 3 on 05 October 2013 and subsequently applied for my ILR in November 2013 and was granted. Now I am planning to apply for Naturalization. Do I have to give a new test on Life in the UK and English test or the same old certificates will work?

Many Thanks

jara777

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 pm

jara777 wrote:Hi Gurus, I passed my Life in the UK test in September 2013 and ESOL level 3 on 05 October 2013 and subsequently applied for my ILR in November 2013 and was granted. Now I am planning to apply for Naturalization. Do I have to give a new test on Life in the UK and English test or the same old certificates will work?

Many Thanks

jara777
No, you have already met new KoLL requirements at time of ILR so no need to do it again.