ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

effect of changes to nationality: good character

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

viglen210

effect of changes to nationality: good character

Post by viglen210 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:04 am

hi guys,
I have a few questions to the gurus here:
1. the changes are effective from 11/12/2014 and they are affecting decisions and not applications. So, any application submitted before this date and no decision is being made yet will be subjected to these changes. my question is, is this legal? if they refused someone, can you for example claim your money back? take them to appeal? is there an appeal procedure?

2. the major effect of these changes will hit the refugees who arrived to this country illegally. they have to stay here for 10 years before being allowed to apply. isn't this against human EU rights convention?

thanks

fish

stokbrig

Re: effect of changes to nationality: good character

Post by stokbrig » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:16 am

What changes you are talking about? please advise

badratio

Post by badratio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:30 pm

stokbrig wrote:What changes you are talking about? please advise
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 78271.html
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:00 pm

viglen210 wrote:hi guys,
I have a few questions to the gurus here:
1. the changes are effective from 11/12/2014 and they are affecting decisions and not applications. So, any application submitted before this date and no decision is being made yet will be subjected to these changes. my question is, is this legal? if they refused someone, can you for example claim your money back? take them to appeal? is there an appeal procedure?

2. the major effect of these changes will hit the refugees who arrived to this country illegally. they have to stay here for 10 years before being allowed to apply. isn't this against human EU rights convention?

thanks

fish
I'm not a lawyer, but here is my tupenn'orth anyway.

Schedule 1 of the British Nationality Act 1981 only requires that the Secretary of State be satisfied that the applicant for naturalisation be "of good character". The meaning of that phrase is left up to the Secretary of State.

The power to naturalise is delegated by the Secretary of State to officials in the Home Office. To ensure there is consistency of interpretation, directions and guidelines internal to the Home Office are issued. While they are published, they do not have the force of law. Instead they define, in relatively more precise terms, the meaning of "good character", which is the legal requirement. As those directions and guidelines are not a part of the law, they can be amended as often as the Secretary of State thinks fit and as and when s/he thinks fit. Therefore, such changes are legal.

You likely can not get your money back as firstly, you do not have a right to citizenship and secondly, you would have applied only after being satisfied yourself that you meet the good character requirements.

As the guidelines have only recently been changed, the way they will be interpreted for refugees is unclear. In any case, any law suit to clarify the issue will almost certainly be answered the other side of the General Election and there may be amendments to the guidelines anyway following the elections.

Incidentally, for those following international news, it is just this kind of change that President Obama has made in US immigration law, ie, not changing the law, but how it is interpreted. In the US, it is called "executive action". There is no equivalent British term.

babe_khyber
Member of Standing

Post by babe_khyber » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi There,
What happened to whom who were submitted their application in the mid Feb 2014 as REFUGEE+ 2 Child. Even I don`t have any trouble in the uk since we were came we have been here in 8.6 year. I am very disappointed to here that news but what can I do I don`t know I have got several letter from the home office your application is still under consideration due to third party checks. Same reply were received from MP as well Now I am waiting to here about good news because I am running in the nearly year since I have applied last year. Good luck to all who were still waiting.
Best wishes
babe khyber

viglen210

Post by viglen210 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:56 am

You likely can not get your money back as firstly, you do not have a right to citizenship and secondly, you would have applied only after being satisfied yourself that you meet the good character requirements.
I think you got it wrong here. When i satisfied myself with the good character requirements then, it was a whole different. how can they change the rules and backdated to those applications prior to 11/11/2014 where a decision is yet to be made.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:13 am

But that is precisely my point. The rules have not changed. Good character is a broad concept, whose interpretation would and does change over time.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm

viglen210 wrote: 2. the major effect of these changes will hit the refugees who arrived to this country illegally. they have to stay here for 10 years before being allowed to apply. isn't this against human EU rights convention?
There is only a requirement that member nations provide a route for citizenship that is realistically possible to attain in ten years. There is no requirement that they have to give anyone and everyone citizenship who happens to stay that long. If the UK (or any member nation) decides that someone doesn't qualify for reasons that don't violate other Human rights, then they need not ever give that individual citizenship, no matter how long they've been present in the country. And as far as I'm aware, though I might be wrong, the spirit of this was meant for stateless people. For refugees, I don't believe there are any specific directives for offering citizenship to such people (except perhaps in cases of multi-generation descendents?).