ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor born in UK to a parent who had UK residence card

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

serena80
Newly Registered

Minor born in UK to a parent who had UK residence card

Post by serena80 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of applying for the British citizenship for my son as well along with my husband. I am not sure on which basis to do it.

I am an EEA national, I have registered and obtained residence documentation (UK residence documentation for a national of an EEA state) in 2007 and had my son a year after in 2008.

Do I need to apply for british citizenship for my son and under which section do I need to do?

Many Thanks for your help

vinny

Re: Minor born in UK to a parent who had UK residence card

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Yes. Section 1(3).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zonkkk

Post by zonkkk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 am

If you were a permanent resident when the child was born he is automatically a British Citizen.
You don't need to apply for British Citizenship. Go for passport directly.

If he was born before you acquired permanent residency, you would have had to apply through section 1.3.

serena80
Newly Registered

Post by serena80 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi,
I have registered and obtained residence documentation (UK residence documentation for a national of an EEA state) in 2007 and the child was born in 2008.

At the moment my husband is applying for the naturalization.

Do I need to apply for my child as well?

zonkkk

Post by zonkkk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:37 am

What does it say on your residence card?
If it says: "Permanent Residence" then you can apply for a passport for the child as they are automatically British.

If it says something else, like "No restrictions of employment in the UK" for example, that is not a permanent residency card, and you would have to apply for citizenship via MN1 providing you now meet the requirements.