ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Consent letter and Passport question for minor children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RochelleT
Newly Registered

Consent letter and Passport question for minor children

Post by RochelleT » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Good afternoon,

I am in the process of scheduling an NCS appointment at the Bexley manor house for the naturalization application of my two children both of whom were born in the UK based on Section 1(3)/ and my ILR and have two questions;

1.Both children currently hold Nigerian passports, one of which has expired (My daughters'). Do I have to bring in a current/up-to-date Nigerian passport for her or can I use an the old one?

2.Their father and I have been separated for about 2 years and he has since moved out of the country. Will a consent letter from him suffice?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Rochelle

RochelleT
Newly Registered

Re: Consent letter and Passport question for minor children

Post by RochelleT » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Please can someone who has any knowledge of this post a reply? Much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:06 am

RochelleT wrote:Good afternoon,

I am in the process of scheduling an NCS appointment at the Bexley manor house for the naturalization application of my two children both of whom were born in the UK based on Section 1(3)/ and my ILR and have two questions;

1.Both children currently hold Nigerian passports, one of which has expired (My daughters'). Do I have to bring in a current/up-to-date Nigerian passport for her or can I use an the old one? it doesn't not require to be current unless it was renewed

2.Their father and I have been separated for about 2 years and he has since moved out of the country. Will a consent letter from him suffice? Yes a consent letter separate from the form will be required (assuming your husband is a non-applicant in the registration application). Without this it will take some time. refer to para 9.18 in the chapter 9 link below

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Rochelle
Hello,

For children it is registration for citizenship. for adults it is naturalisation process.

Please go through this thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html

Do children have ILR?
Are you british citizen?
Where is your husband located in regards to nationaility and immigration status in the UK?

Also have a detailed look into this chapter 9 registration of minors at discretion:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 150107.pdf

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Chapter 9 is not applicable to Section 1(3) applications.
Chapter 8 wrote:8.6 Consent to the application
8.6.1 As the applicant has an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen if the requirements in 8.1.1, 8.1.2 or 8.1.3 above are met, the absence of parental consent (in cases where the applicant is a minor) is not a reason for refusal. Therefore it is not necessary for the parent(s) or the person(s) having responsibility for the minor to consent to the application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:24 pm

vinny wrote:Chapter 9 is not applicable to Section 1(3) applications.
Chapter 8 wrote:8.6 Consent to the application
8.6.1 As the applicant has an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen if the requirements in 8.1.1, 8.1.2 or 8.1.3 above are met, the absence of parental consent (in cases where the applicant is a minor) is not a reason for refusal. Therefore it is not necessary for the parent(s) or the person(s) having responsibility for the minor to consent to the application.
I stand corrected, thanks vinny.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:11 am

Indeed, in so far as the statutory requirements are met, no additional requirements can be imposed. An application under section 1(3) is an entitlement rather than the discretionary applications under section 3(1).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

RochelleT
Newly Registered

Post by RochelleT » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Thank you so much all.

I got my ILR in February.

Seperated husband moved back to Nigeria in 2013.

Luckily, he has agreed to provide consent letters this week!

I'd err on the side of caution and provide these.

Thanks again all!

ds123
Newly Registered

Post by ds123 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi,

I've applied for British passport for my daughter along with mine after receiving the citizenship. I've been asked by passport office to provide a consent letter from her mother for issuing passport for my daughter who is a minor. My wife is on ILR. Do you have a sample consent letter format that I can refer to?

Thanks