ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce queries

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Damien678
Newly Registered

Divorce queries

Post by Damien678 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello board members

To summarize, me and my wife are Indians, living in UK for nearly 3 years now, on our own T2G visa(at present). Both of us are Christians and got married in India 5 years ago. Things havent been great for a long time and we have decided to part ways by mutual consent. Basically we fell out of love and there is no relationship anymore. Could any of you help us on the few queries we have on the subject of divorce below please.

*Is divorce in UK valid in India ?
*On what grounds can we get divorced ?
*who should start the procedure first ?
*we have no kids and have no arguments on splitting our money/assests, so do we still need to hire a lawyer ?
*How long does it take to get the divorce final ?
*can anyone give us helpful pointers as to whats the first step and how to go forward ?
*Should we let home office know after divorce is finalised

Appreciate your help in advance, thank you

Damien678
Newly Registered

Re: Divorce queries

Post by Damien678 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:37 am

Apologies, am I in the wrong forum ?

could anyone guide me where I could post this to get some information..thanks

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 am

Sorry to know about your circumstance. On the positive side you both are sorting the things matured way and that's appreciable.

In regards to availing divorce from UK where marriage was registered (assumed) in India, have you found out if this is feasible? Probably solicitor. If you have home insurance, some times it has legal advice free helpline included try and read the home insurance cover. eg my home insurance offers me 24x7 legal free advice helpline in the UK.

Secondly from bureaucratic perspective court proceedings in India even if mutual will drain your time+money and add up to frustration. So in my personal view I would recommend if you can avail the divorce proceedings carried out in the UK legal settings, so you both can move on with life without wasting too much time and flying to and fro in Indian courts.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 am

Damien678 wrote:Hello board members

To summarize, me and my wife are Indians, living in UK for nearly 3 years now, on our own T2G visa(at present). Both of us are Christians and got married in India 5 years ago. Things havent been great for a long time and we have decided to part ways by mutual consent. Basically we fell out of love and there is no relationship anymore. Could any of you help us on the few queries we have on the subject of divorce below please.

*Is divorce in UK valid in India ?
*On what grounds can we get divorced ?
*who should start the procedure first ?
*we have no kids and have no arguments on splitting our money/assests, so do we still need to hire a lawyer ?
*How long does it take to get the divorce final ?
*can anyone give us helpful pointers as to whats the first step and how to go forward ?
*Should we let home office know after divorce is finalised

Appreciate your help in advance, thank you
Try googling "can married abroad be divorce in uk"
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ivorce.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/browse/births-deaths ... ge-divorce