ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI query! Help please!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

delhi123
Newly Registered

OCI query! Help please!

Post by delhi123 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 am

Hello everyone!

I just got my British passport. I would surrender by Indian passport soon. However, I would be travelling to Dubai for next 3 months. I was wondering if I could apply OCI from Dubai?

gbhsmp

Re: OCI query! Help please!

Post by gbhsmp » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:07 pm

You can surrender your INDIAN passport and apply for OCI from any INDIAN mission.
But there are 2 things to take note here
1. It usually takes 3 months for OCI application to process and in the last stage for a couple of weeks (approx) you will not have British passport with you (you need to send it to HCI for U visa sticker)
2. Being British citizen, your OCI application I think will be sent to HCI london for processing from the country where you apply which will add to the total processing time . I am however not absolutely sure about this.

I would suggest you surrender your INDIAN passport and start the OCI application in the UK. You can go to dubai and during the time the OCI processing finishes and HCI asks you to send the British passport you can travel for 2-3 weeks (usual time) and get this completed here in the UK.

The last stage is usually posting British passport and HCI sticking the U visa and returning British passport along with the OCI booket. This albeit looks simple usually takes 2-3 weeks statistically. My humble suggestions is that it is more easy to be here in the UK and get this done rather than complicating things.

Finally, if you are absolutely sure that you will be back within 3 months, then, you can always come back and apply (India gives 3 months grace time to surrender INDIAN passport from the date of naturalisation <- NOT from the date of British passport validity start)
The penalty for delay is not as high as penalty for using INDIAN passport for entry and exit in any country which I suppose you do not intend to do in dubai.
Your call.

theasterix
Newly Registered

Post by theasterix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Last week I applied for OCI from VFS/Honslow and they raised a possibility that requirement for passport U sticker might be done away with in next couple of week (not sure though).

I suggest you can apply for OCI from London and go on your visit.

Even if HCI requires you to get passport sticker in couple of months, at that time you would be able to request them to hold it till you return from Dubai.

delhi123
Newly Registered

Post by delhi123 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Thank you so much both of you! I think applying from London makes sense! will do that before leaving.