ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

partner/family visa help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Kyletg
Newly Registered

partner/family visa help

Post by Kyletg » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 am

Hi,

I've searched the forum and found answers to a few questions I have, however there's a couple I'd like more information on if anybody can help.

I'm hoping to apply to join a family living permanently in the UK, I've been with my girlfriend for almost 4 years now. She's a Scottish citizen and I'm Australian. I've previously had a youth mobility working visa and lived at her parents house for 1.5 years and am currently renting with her in Australia (will be 8 months by time I apply). Is my time spent living at her parents with her sufficient to show 2 years of residing together. The rest of the time was spent living an hour apart but frequently visiting each other as I worked in TV in London and she studied down south. I can easily provide additional information showing we've been together for 4 years but will that matter to them?

My second question is relating to the funds. It says 'sufficient funds to pay you and your partner's living expenses', is this my income or my girlfriends income, or even combined? I've been working full time and will meet the financial requirements as my annual salary is above the £18,600 per year. She however studies and her income is from property rent paid to her (she is regarded as the co-owner).

If anybody got this far thanks for helping!

Kyle

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: partner/family visa help

Post by Greenie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 am

If you are applying from outside of the uk then it's only your partner's income that will count not yours. She will need to she has been earning the required amount over the last 6/12 months and that she has a job offer starting within 3 months of returning to the uk earning the required amount.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:36 am

In addition to Greenie's advice, you are unlikely to qualify for an Unmarried Partner visa. You would need to prove you have been co-habiting in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years. The case worker would expect to see evidence of joint commitments, finances etc and something more than a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. This may be difficult it you were living with her parents and then in separate accommodation in different towns. You say you are now living together in Australia. A short break during the 2 year period is sometimes allowed but the 'akin to marriage' documented evidence would need to be strong.
All this is assuming you meet the financial conditions as advised by Greenie.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Kyletg
Newly Registered

Post by Kyletg » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:16 am

Hey Greenie, thanks for the reply this helps me a lot.
My girlfriends income is solely property ownership and the tenants pay her as her source of income - along with her parents. I'm unsure if this is considered as a 'financial requirement' or employment is key? The positive is it's a continuous flow of money and has been for years. She is only 22 and studying so unfortunately the regulations don't account for such factors!

Hey Casa, it's been a worry for years knowing that she has had to live in student accommodation however I started living at her parents as far back as 2011, returned home to save and get a visa, then lived with her wherever possible but she had to study away from her hometown so needed student accommodation. We have had a joint bank account since 2012 & her parents can also provide evidence/sign a statement proving I lived there. I guess it's going to be a case of providing as much evidence as possible seeing as renting together takes precedence over the reality of relationships!

Thanks for the help guys