ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DesiBoys

Applying for British passport

Post by DesiBoys » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:00 am

Hi All,

I just got my naturalisation certificate yesterday after attending the ceremony and was hoping to apply for British passport today.

However, I just realised that I also ahve to send all uncancelled passports with the applciation, which means I have to send my current Indian passport.

I already have two holidays booked in the coming few weeks. Does it mean that I cannot apply for British passport until there is a period of 6-8 week where I don't need to travel?

Or can I apply for british passport but can get back my Indian passport earlier, which I can use for travelling while British passport is in progress.

Please suggest

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: Applying for British passport

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

Congratulations :)
DesiBoys wrote: Does it mean that I cannot apply for British passport until there is a period of 6-8 week where I don't need to travel?
Correct. Do not travel if you have made a Passport application, as you will be asked for to attend an interview in coming days.

Just a pointer, I don't know about India with certainty, but I've read here that you need to surrender Indian passport after becoming citizen of another country, within 90 days or something.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:57 am

I'll correct fwd079 slightly, though he is correct on the substance of his advice.

Valid Indian passports need to be surrendered within 3 years of getting any other citizenship. However, any travel on the Indian passport past 90 days of your naturalisation certificate will result in fines. Also, you can not apply for OCI or Indian entry visa without a surrender certificate indicating that you have surrendered your passport.

More information on the quantum of fines is on the HCI London and CGI Birmingham websites.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks secret.simon, appreciate the information. :)

DesiBoys should visit Other countries forum as well, in my view.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

DesiBoys

Post by DesiBoys » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks all.

I also called VFS and they confirmed the same,

No penalties for travel on Indian passport for 3 months from the data of naturalisation.

Also, the indian passport needs to be surrendered within 3 yrs as stated.

All this means for me is that I have to wait for 2 more months before applying for British passport and plan no holidays for those 6 weeks !!

Thanks again guys.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:50 pm

British passport application doesn't take 6 weeks, most have got their passport within 2 weeks including the interview but around this time of the year waiting times could be longer
Manka