ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Complicated Circumstances

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MrsBSEB
Newly Registered

Complicated Circumstances

Post by MrsBSEB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi there,

I have complicated circumstances and my research hasn't been insightful. I am a South African National married to a British National and we live together in the UK. I am currently awaiting a decision on my Citizenship application (nearly 4 months now) and I have ILR. I would like to go to Portugal for 5 days and need to apply for a Schengen visa. My passport and ILR permit are both in my maiden name.

Now as far as I can see on the Schengen visa application form you give your marital status and such. Considering my passport and ILR permit are both still in my maiden name, do I fill in the application form as a married individual that has kept her maiden name? Or do I fill out the form with my married surname and just explain to them in the appointment that I am married but have not changed my name on said passport or ILR permit as yet? Any documentation other to those two things would have my married name on them eg. bank statements.

Also, I have read contradictory things where documentation evidence is concerned. As an applicant married to an EU National, is this all the evidence I need to submit for my application? (Taken from the schengenvisainfo.com)
The application form must be fully completed and signed in the corresponding blanks.
One photo is to be attached; the photo must have a passport format, full-face capture, and a light background. The photo must be recently taken.
The passport as well as all the copies of your previous visas, valid for at least 3 months prior to your departure is required. The passport must have at least two blank pages.
One must have a copy of the reservation of the return ticket for the time intended to be travelling. It is not recommendable to buy the ticket before getting the visa, if not necessary.
The travel medical insurance policy is to be secured, covering any medical emergency with hospital care and travel back to ones native country due to medical motives. This health insurance policy has to cover expenses up to 30,000 euros, the sum depending on the residing days, and also it has to be valid in all Schengen countries. The health insurance policy must be purchased before picking up the visa and in your visa is refused you can cancel it!
The applicants bank statement (preferably for the last 6 months)
The detailed itinerary of the traveling days in the Schengen Zone, hotel reservations or a formal invitation letter by a resident of a Schengen country.
Sorry for the long post, I'm grateful for any helpful input.

liksah

Re: Complicated Circumstances

Post by liksah » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:42 pm

This is not very complicated at all. There are several cultures that do not change their names after marriage.

The information from the schengenvisainfo website is wrong. You do not need to submit bank statements or hotel reservations as the spouse of an EU national. All you need to show is:
- Proof of your relationship (marriage certificate, or something else..)
- Proof of citizenship of your spouse (can be a copy of the passport or ID card)
- That you are traveling together (sometimes this can be a ticket reservation or other times a letter from the spouse saying so, depends on what the consulate wants)
- Travel medical insurance (in case the consulate is finicky about it, this is not an absolute requirement but I would rather not argue about it since it's simple enough to get online and you should have it anyway...)

Since you are going to Portugal you should call the Portuguese consulate and ask them exactly what they need for your trip. Make sure you specify that you are the spouse of an EU national and that you are traveling together. If you are not traveling together then indeed your situation is more complicated and you will have to apply for a regular tourist visa and will need to submit more documentation.

MrsBSEB
Newly Registered

Post by MrsBSEB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Thank you Liksah. I've managed to make an appointment for my application however it's only 6 days before I'm due to travel (appointment on 8th May and travel on the 14th). Do you know if they hand over visas on the day? I didn't speak to them on the phone (spent 21mins on hold with no answer and my husband was on hold later in the day for 35mins to get an answer phone) but used their online service to fill in and print off my form and then make the appointment so I was not able to ask them if this is the case.

liksah

Post by liksah » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 pm

6 days is very very less. They normally ask for at least 10 working days to process a visa (the law says they are allowed 15 days to make a decision..). I don't know the details of the appointment system but the law says that spouses of EU citizens should be granted visas for free and with an accelerated procedure. Waiting for over a month for an appointment is certainly not 'accelerated'. You should be able to jump to the top of the queue of applicants or at least to the end of the queue for "EU family" applicants.

Since you have some time before your trip, I would recommend that you be proactive about it (within reason of course) and try and visit the consulate directly and get this sorted. Perhaps that's the best route.

Here is the official EU guidebook published by the EU regarding visas for family members:
http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/faq/fr ... _ec_en.pdf

It's pretty simple but good to read to know about all your rights.

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:01 pm

6 days is very very less. They normally ask for at least 10 working days to process a visa (the law says they are allowed 15 days to make a decision..). I don't know the details of the appointment system but the law says that spouses of EU citizens should be granted visas for free and with an accelerated procedure. Waiting for over a month for an appointment is certainly not 'accelerated'. You should be able to jump to the top of the queue of applicants or at least to the end of the queue for "EU family" applicants.
1 month is even too long for regular applicants, as article 9.2 of the Visa Code states that an appointment should be offered within 2 weeks of the request date. Processing time for a visa is max 15 calendar days if no further information or documents are needed.

An EU/EEA appointment could be handled in a few days, if they are fully booked the legal limits would be 15 days + 2 weeks (waiting for appointment + waiting for procesing time), certainl for EU/EEA who needs to be handled ASAP.