ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (G): leave to remain vs leave to enter - terminology

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yapolyak
Russia

Tier 2 (G): leave to remain vs leave to enter - terminology

Post by yapolyak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Dear all,

while filling the new online-form to extend my Tier 2 General visa (due to switching employer) I noticed that in the field "your current visa type" there is an option "Tier 2 General leave to remain", but no "Tier 2 General leave to enter". If I was only previously granted the Tier 2 G visa for the first time (from outside of UK), do you think I can still choose the "leave to remain" option, or should I specify just "Tier 2 General" in the "other visa type" field?

Will appreciate any suggestion!

Iakov

safatafa
Member of Standing

Re: Tier 2 (G): leave to remain vs leave to enter - terminol

Post by safatafa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:29 pm

You need to use leave to remain

yapolyak
Russia

Post by yapolyak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:37 pm

safatafa wrote:You need to use leave to remain
Thank you! So they use "leave to remain" just as a general synonim to "visa", and it doesn't matter whether it was received from outside or inside of UK?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:04 am

Simply,"Leave to enter" is granted to applicants under the Immigration rules from outside the UK, by an ECO (Entry Clearance Officer) issuing an entry clearance or by an IO (Immigration Officer) at a port of entry. "Leave to remain" is granted to applicants inside the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

yapolyak
Russia

Post by yapolyak » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:28 am

vinny wrote:Simply,"Leave to enter" is granted to applicants under the Immigration rules from outside the UK, by an ECO (Entry Clearance Officer) issuing an entry clearance or by an IO (Immigration Officer) at a port of entry. "Leave to remain" is granted to applicants inside the UK.
Thank you! Yes, I understand that, I am just surprised that in the Tier 2 extension online application form under "current visa type" there is only an option saying "Tier 2 General leave to remain" (along with many other visa types) and no just "Tier 2 General" or "Tier 2 General leave to enter" that would work for anybody who extends the visa for the first time... One can enter "other type" manually though, but I find it strange that they wouldn't provide the most relevant option then... I guess if I will choose "Tier 2 General leave to remain" it shouldn't cause any problem?..

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 am

The website is a nightmare.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

yapolyak
Russia

Post by yapolyak » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:38 am

vinny wrote:The website is a nightmare.
Oh wow :)

yapolyak
Russia

Post by yapolyak » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am

OK, I double checked - if one chooses an option "I have another visa type" and enters manually "Tier 2 (General)", the system alarms that you can't use online form for this kind of visa. So the only option is to choose the "Tier 2 (General) leave to remain", which I did.

manojpotdar
Newly Registered
India

Re: Tier 2 (G): leave to remain vs leave to enter - terminology

Post by manojpotdar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi
Should I chose 'leave to remain' in online application for my tier 2 extension? I entered in uk with 'leave to enter' visa.

Thanks

l_kava
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by l_kava » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently struggling with this exact same issue. I've been on the home office, immigration advisory etc but no one has been able to give me a definitive answer. They said "its probably leave to remain" but I should talk to some other organisation. Seeing as some responses on this post come from a few years ago would anyone be able to advise on if this was the right thing to do?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:46 pm

l_kava wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm
Hi All,

I'm currently struggling with this exact same issue. I've been on the home office, immigration advisory etc but no one has been able to give me a definitive answer. They said "its probably leave to remain" but I should talk to some other organisation. Seeing as some responses on this post come from a few years ago would anyone be able to advise on if this was the right thing to do?

Thank you!
1. Kindly refrain from digging up 3 year old topics to tag onto.

2. Leave to enter is applications made outside the UK. Leave to remain is applications made within the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chsali
Newly Registered
Iraq

Post by chsali » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:20 am

l_kava wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm
Hi All,

Thank you!
Hi
I am currently is the same situation, have been able to sort this out, which option you used pease?

chsali
Newly Registered
Iraq

Post by chsali » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 am

yapolyak wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am
OK, I double checked - if one chooses an option "I have another visa type" and enters manually "Tier 2 (General)", the system alarms that you can't use online form for this kind of visa. So the only option is to choose the "Tier 2 (General) leave to remain", which I did.
what was your last choice? and was ir succesful ?
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:52 am

chsali wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 am
what was your last choice? and was ir succesful ?
Thanks
Please see point 12 in the forum rules FAQs link below!!

announcements/read-me-getting-started-t ... 24804.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.