ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET O with dependant ESOL Entry Level 3 EDExcel

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

punksnotdead80
Newly Registered

SET O with dependant ESOL Entry Level 3 EDExcel

Post by punksnotdead80 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi

Today I went for premium service at Croydon my self (Tier 1 General) main applicant and 3 dependants(wife and two kids).
I am working as contractor.

Just want to share with you all whoever is going for premium service with Tier 1 General(Contractors) and dependants.

The appointment was at 8am , here it is what happened

1. 8.10 am verified passports
2. 8.40 am took biometrics
3. 10:30am received call on my mobile from case worker, asking for current contract letter from company. So , I provided starting from Jan 2014 till the next contract end date which is in July 2015.
4. 11:10am received call on my mobile from case worker, saying that it make take a while to proceed with application asked us to go out if required.
5. 1:00 pm, I went to customer service desk and asked about my application as it was nearly 4 hours.
6. Customer service help desk guy went inside and checked the status of my token, came back with answer that since it is ILR Tier 1 General verifications are need to be done , and they are waiting for last one verification.
I asked what is that, for security reasons they can not disclose it to me.
7. Around 2pm, Case worker called me again on my mobile and this is what she said
" Sorry for apologies for delay, we are working on your case . We are waiting for confirmation from the English Language which your wife has taken, as soon as we get the confirmation we will take a decision. Nothing to worry, if possible ask your wife to take kids home as it may take bit longer and will let you know by 4pm today.
My wife has taken ESOL Entry Level 3 from EdExcel in august 2014 from IMPEL college which is recognised service center.
8. My wife didn0t want to go home , as she waited till 6 hours and can wait for 2 more hours.
9. 3:50pm case worker announced my number, and went to her desk and she said with sweet voice and this is the conversation we had
Case worker : "We can not take a decision today on your application, as we have not received confirmation from your wife's ESOL institute"
Me: "Well, sorry how can it be our mistake"
Case worker : " Even, it is not our mistake too"
Me: "When it is stated in Home Office , why do you need a verification still"
Case worker : "We have to verify all the original documents and we tried to contact them but have not received any response. There is nothing to worry on your side documents, its only with your wife's english language issue. So don't worry."
Me : "When can i get the final decision"
Case Worker : "As it is premium service we will try to give decision ASAP, and took all the documents back and said bye."

10. Came back home frustrated , after waiting for long 8 hours with my two little kids. Now both my kids fell sick. :(

Few things to note for guys who are going base on my situation,
1. keep your mobile on.
2. If you have not heard back from then for more than 2 hours, you have to go to customer service help desk and check the status.
3. If it is going to take long time, ask if your dependants can go home.

Now, please can someone answer below questions

1. Is ESOL Entry Level 3 from Pearson EdExcel valid?

2. If they do not receive any response from EdExcel or Pearson, how long will they keep my application on hold.

3. If it is not valid and if they don't accept my wife's English Lang req, will they reject the whole application i.e even my application
to ILR.

Thank for reading.

mnaeem126
inactive

Re: SET O with dependant ESOL Entry Level 3 EDExcel

Post by mnaeem126 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 pm

punksnotdead80 wrote:Hi

Today I went for premium service at Croydon my self (Tier 1 General) main applicant and 3 dependants(wife and two kids).

Just want to share with you all whoever is going for premium service with Tier 1 General(Contractors) and dependants.

3. 10:30am received call on my mobile from case worker, asking for current contract letter from company. So , I provided starting from Jan 2014 till the next contract end date which is in July 2015.
4. 11:10am received call on my mobile from case worker, saying that it make take a while to proceed with application asked us to go out if required.
5. 1:00 pm, I went to customer service desk and asked about my application as it was nearly 4 hours.
6. Customer service help desk guy went inside and checked the status of my token, came back with answer that since it is ILR Tier 1 General verifications are need to be done , and they are waiting for last one verification.
7. Around 2pm, Case worker called me again on my mobile and this is what she said
" Sorry for apologies for delay, we are working on your case . We are waiting for confirmation from the English Language which your wife has taken, as soon as we get the confirmation we will take a decision. Nothing to worry, if possible ask your wife to take kids home as it may take bit longer and will let you know by 4pm today.
My wife has taken ESOL Entry Level 3 from EdExcel in august 2014 from IMPEL college which is recognised service center.
8. My wife didn0t want to go home , as she waited till 6 hours and can wait for 2 more hours.
9. 3:50pm case worker announced my number, and went to her desk and she said with sweet voice and this is the conversation we had
Case worker : "We can not take a decision today on your application, as we have not received confirmation from your wife's ESOL institute"
Case worker : "We have to verify all the original documents and we tried to contact them but have not received any response. There is nothing to worry on your side documents, its only with your wife's english language issue. So don't worry."
Case Worker : "As it is premium service we will try to give decision ASAP, and took all the documents back and said bye."

10. Came back home frustrated , after waiting for long 8 hours with my two little kids. Now both my kids fell sick. :(

1. keep your mobile on.
2. If you have not heard back from then for more than 2 hours, you have to go to customer service help desk and check the status.

2. If they do not receive any response from EdExcel or Pearson, how long will they keep my application on hold.

3. If it is not valid and if they don't accept my wife's English Lang req, will they reject the whole application i.e even my application
to ILR.

Thank for reading.
1. ESOL E3 from Pearson Edexcel still valid till Nov 2014.
2. A video is also made when Edxcel is done, so you should not worry. They would check if the applicant has really done it, not the deception one. So be relax if your wife has done it going there and sitting in the speaking and listening sessions. My dependant has done the same in May 2014 and has applied recently for ILR with it.
3. No, they can never refuse your ILR.
If I am wrong, Seniors would correct me and woudl guide you as well.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:34 am

punksnotdead80 wrote:

Should still be valid if the Home Office were trying to verify the qualification. Otherwise they would have informed you.

2. If they do not receive any response from EdExcel or Pearson, how long will they keep my application on hold. this

Unfortunately, time can vary from days to weeks and even month. I was reading a while ago someone in a similar situation where they had everything in order apart from the verification of the English test, it had taken 3 months to approve the ILR.

to ILR.

Your application should not be affected. From what you have posted, it looks like the English qualification is acceptable, they just need to verify it.

Thank for reading.
I know how frustrating it can be going for a same day appointment and not getting a decision same day.

Have a check on this forum, there is a sticky topic labelled:

ILR PEO deferred Apps - Further checks/Additional docs cases

This gives indication of people who have gone for their PEO/PSC appointments and had their applications deferred due to further checks. It was started on 2012 so is a long thread. It would just read the current last several pages or so. Gives you an idea how long people have been waiting and maybe a few pointers as people are in the same boat as you.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

punksnotdead80
Newly Registered

Post by punksnotdead80 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Thank you all for replying.

Will keep posted if I have any updates.

Thanks again.

getachewt
Newly Registered

Post by getachewt » Fri May 29, 2015 8:20 pm

I would like to share my experience for anyone who is not going to submit secured English test result as evidence of knowledge of English.

My wife applied for indefinite leave to remain under Tier 1 (General) Migrant dependant at Croydon on 11th May 2015. She has submitted Edexcel Entry Level 3 pass result as evidence for knowledge of English. After waiting for 2 hours the case worker called on her mobile and when we went there he said that he wants to ask her some questions and asked me and my son to stay in the waiting room. Without advance warning she has been interviewed for more than 20 minutes. Once he has finished the interview he told her to stay in the waiting room. At this point I realised that there is something wrong.

Our number called again after 45 minutes and when we went there he said that her English doesn't meet the required level at B1 and he told her to re-sit secured English test and submit the result within 14 days. He also stated that if we don't submit within the timescale given, the application will be declined under immigration rule 322(9).

These are my questions.
- Why she has been interviewed while we have submitted all the necessary evidence as per the guidance? I have many friends who have applied for indefinite leave to remain an none of the have been interviewed.
- If she is required to re-sit the test why she is not given reasonable timescale. You need time to prepare for the test and pick the date which is convenient for you. It also takes time to get the certificate once you passed the exam.

Now the 14 days we were given has lapsed and we are unable to submit the requested document. We have sent a letter stating the case to be deferred until we submit the requested document. I am preparing myself for the worst, but I have a feeling that our case in treated unfairly.

Can someone give me advise with this regard? I am also looking a solicitor if the case needs to go further and it would be great if you recommend me someone based on past experience.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:29 pm

- Why she has been interviewed while we have submitted all the necessary evidence as per the guidance? I have many friends who have applied for indefinite leave to remain an none of the have been interviewed.

The UKVI had some concerns about the English test and hence decided to interview your spouse in order to assess the level of English ability. It sounds like they deemed it below the standard required and hence given you the opportunity to submit another test. An interview isn't normally conducted but do bear in mind that the Home Office do have at their discretion to conduct one if they feel the need to do so.

- If she is required to re-sit the test why she is not given reasonable timescale. You need time to prepare for the test and pick the date which is convenient for you. It also takes time to get the certificate once you passed the exam.

Tests dates can be booked (such as the Trinity) within a day or two and certificates received within 7 days

http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/b1-esol ... vel-3.html

Even though this leaves no time for preparation and flexibility in choosing date, its possible to do the test within the 14 day period if booked straight away. The Home Office would have considered it a reasonable time considering your spouse was already in possession of a test at level B1. You should have given it a try rather than let the 14 day lapse
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

mnaeem126
inactive

Post by mnaeem126 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:44 pm

@WR1. How can the case worker be better language examiner than the institute examiner if she has provided the proper evidence. Judge wud overturn his decision if he wud refuse the case. To refuse the case HO should call the language assesser to assess her level. It is totally unfair. It means institutes have no value then if any of the case workers has to decide himself the level of english of any person.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 pm

Which test did you submit, was it the Pearson one as in the OP case?

The case worker won't be language experts but they can get a good idea of a individual's ability and hence why they have given the opportunely to submit another test.

It is unfortunate you are in the this position and I do understand the position you are in but I would waste no time and get the Trinity grade 5 test done and submit without any further delay.

The reason that Home Office are getting stricter is due to the recent English fraud/scandal that has made the HO to tighten the rules. This resulted in the removal of a number of awarding bodies and hence why the major change in HO only accepting two tests taken after 6 April (IELTS /Trinity). Unfortunately this has had a knock on effect and the actions of a few has affected the many including the genuine people who go down the route of trying to follow the rules.

Not all refusals are given rights of appeal but lets hope it doesn't get to that stage.

Can you confirm the awarding body of the test?

getachewt
Newly Registered

Post by getachewt » Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.

The certificate was from Pearson Edexcel.

I have the same feeling like mnaeem126 where the integrity of institutions has been questioned and the case worker puts himself in a position of English examiner.

They even not tried to verify the evidence provided.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 am

This is just my opinion, but i think that its the awarding body that is causing issues. My wife also went for her ILR PEO this Tuesday gone by and thank god it was granted. We submitted ESOL entry 3 from Cambridge English and that was not an issue. At the test centre, they were offering two qualifications, EMD and Cambridge. They wanted to do the EMD one, but I insisted it be the Cambridge one as i was not familiar with EMD and Cambridge is widely known and recognised. Good thing too as EMD was removed from the HO list due to the cheating scandal as EMD was one of the awarding bodies involved.

If your awarding body was Cambridge instead of Edexcel then IMO I can say with confidence this would not have been a issue and ILR would have been granted. This does sound very unfair and it is unfair but I've been reading on this forums of other people having issues with Edexcel too.

Like I said, try not to waste time and get the new B1 test done and submitted without delay.

Do note that if your wife still has leave to remain or the UKVI extend the leave to remain instead of issuing ILR, then you will not be entitled to appeal the decision. Section 82 of the Nationality Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 does not provide a right of appeal where an applicant still have leave to enter or remain in the UK and so it entitled to stay here.

getachewt
Newly Registered

Post by getachewt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:18 am

Congratulations!

We have booked a test now and asked the Home Office to defer the case until we provide the evidence requested.

I think we can make a case in the inadequacy of 14 days given if they decline it based on that.

As you mentioned it is unlikely that they will give us the right to appeal. I wonder what other alternatives we can use.

I really appreciate your help.

Kabitabimal
Newly Registered

Post by Kabitabimal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 pm

getachewt wrote:Thank you for your quick reply.

I have the same feeling like mnaeem126 where the integrity of institutions has been questioned and the case worker puts himself in a position of English examiner.

They even not tried to verify the evidence provided.
punksnotdead80 wrote:Hi

9. 3:50pm case worker announced my number, and went to her desk and she said with sweet voice
getachewt wrote:Thank you for your quick reply.

They even not tried and this is the conversation we had

10after waiting for long 8 hours with my two little kids. Now both my kids fell sick. :(

1. keep your mobile on.

to ILR.

Thank for reading.

Hi
I don't think there is any problem with edexcel till November. There is an official announcement 28 th of April saying that if it is ofqual register then no matter if it is Cambridge or Pearson or any other but has to be ofqual registered. After November only trinity is validated .

godtimebest
Newly Registered

Post by godtimebest » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:29 pm

I can see the reason why they always called some people for an interview