ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment history - employee / limited company

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

goldfish
Member of Standing

Employment history - employee / limited company

Post by goldfish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:56 am

In the new citizenship form, we are asked to provide our employment history. My current employment is a permanent employee of a large bank. Prior to this, I was employed by my own limited company. Do I need to get a Self Assessment Statement of Account? I'm due to apply for citizenship next week and I don't want my application delayed because I have to get new documents from HMRC and wait for them to arrive.

tripping

Re: Employment history - employee / limited company

Post by tripping » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:51 pm

I submitted my citizenship application as Director of a Limited company and these were what I sent:

Call up HMRC to send your SA302 documents – these provide a detailed record of tax return figures. This will take up to 2 weeks. I know its asking for Self assessment for the last year, but I sent in all 5 years worth, did not want to take any chances.

Also you would have received official tax letters from HMRC to confirm your Self Assessment return, which is more a summary record of SA302. I would consider these to be additional documents if you want to be super careful, even the NCS person said its not necessary, but no harm in sending them in. Its the SA302 from HMRC that will have full details which will be of interest to caseworker.

I didnt send anything else for this employment section. Hope everything goes well for you.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks tripping. I've been a permanent employee at a large company since Oct 2013. Before that, I was director and employee of my own limited company. When you said it is
asking for Self assessment for the last year, but I sent in all 5 years worth, did not want to take any chances
where does it say it is for the last year only? Maybe I missed something in the guidance or form.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Tripping,

What did you put under the tax office reference and tax office address for ltd company director?

The one shown in P60 created by accountant ? Employer PAYE reference?

Regards
Nitro

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:17 pm

For anyone checking this thread, I just called the UKBA Nationality Helpline (https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi/british ... ationality) and they said if any part of the period leading to ILR was "self-employed", you need to provide evidence from HMRC for that period.

mitulkumar
Newly Registered

Post by mitulkumar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 pm

For anyone checking this thread, I just called the UKBA Nationality Helpline (https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi/british ... ationality) and they said if any part of the period leading to ILR was "self-employed", you need to provide evidence from HMRC for that period.

Dear Goldfish,
what you mean by period leading to ILR. Does it mean last 5 year of Tier 1 or last 12 month period for ILR application.
Please clarify.
I am employed for last 3 year and was employee when i applied for ILR but during Tier 1 extension i was self employed.

Kind Regards
Mitul

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:31 pm

You have to complete your employment history. If any part of that employment history was "self-employed", you need to provide tax documents as per the guidelines. Or to put it another way, they aren't just asking about your current employment.

mitulkumar
Newly Registered

Post by mitulkumar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 am

Goldfish
Thanks for reply.

Problem i have is that i was not register for self assessment at that time as it was not mandatory.

Now it will take atleast 3 more months.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 am

Cant we use P60s received for Self Employment ? OR Letter from Accountant ?

mitulkumar
Newly Registered

Post by mitulkumar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:36 am

P60 should be sufficient. Thing with HO is that they ask for things back dated 10 years and how can you provide such items at short notice. SIC

tripping

Post by tripping » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 am

Goldfish,
Sorry for the confusion. I applied for the naturalisation earlier in the year using the previous form prior to employment history changes in May. The old requirements were to provide Self assessment from HMRC for the past year, or the most recent if you are self employed or operate a limited company. I supplied all 5 years worth of SA302 as I was applying under 5 years + 1 year ILR at the time, just because I was super analogy. This requirement has now been superseeded by the new employment history requirements. Hope I didnt set off false alarm bells for you guys.

Rajuk,
I think P60 a legitimate document in place of SA302 from HMRC if you were not registered for self assessment, plus an accountant letter can only help – maybe the experts on here can clarify?

Nitro,
For tax office reference, it will be the Employer PAYE reference eg 948/xxxxxx. Address will be the Cardiff/Wales address shown on any HMRC Company tax letter that you receive, which I believe for most people will be somewhere in Wales.

Mitul,
I think if you register and submit for SA electronically for the self employed period you were on Tier 1 extension, should be a straightfoward affair as it was in the past. Once HMRC received the submission, processing wouldnt take months, maybe a couple of weeks, and then send out SA302 when you request them. I would rather wait and be safe than sorry, considering Home Office’s purpose of now introducing additional requirements and checks is to be seen to be more stringent in light of immigration politics.

mitulkumar
Newly Registered

Post by mitulkumar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Tripping,
I do have P60 during self employment. Its just the proof of dividend income which is not mentioned in P60.

Bc4indian

Post by Bc4indian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:22 am

Hi Guys,

Has anyone paid national insurance contributions while working as director of company taking only dividends?

Thanks

Bc4indian

Post by Bc4indian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 am

Bc4indian wrote:Hi Guys,

Has anyone paid national insurance contributions while working as director of company taking only dividends?

Thanks
I'm asking this because the new nationality instructions says check NIC if the person is self employed or sole trader or director of a ltd company

See the link below

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... utions.pdf

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:58 pm

If you are running your limited company and you are working solely, then you can just tick your self as "Director". In that case, you donot need any HMRC Statement of Account., If you still want to have a back up plan, get letter from Accountant and also phone HMRC and request them for Statement of account. (nowdays they dont send it anymore unless you file postal return). P60 is again a backup option

Bc4indian

Post by Bc4indian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I've got all the copies of sa302's since last 5 years.

But my original question is about NIC (national insurance contributions) for those 5 years my accountant told me it is not required for company directors who is only withdrawing dividends.

Thanks

Bc4indian

Post by Bc4indian » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:30 am

anyone who can answer above question please respond?

wmazhar

Post by wmazhar » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:22 am

is these documents are new requirement?

I am the director of limited company and also permanent employee as well, though limited company is not operating at the moment

I got approval in May 2015 without sending these documents, I just provided Payee and tax office references of both employment.
Applied: 11/03/2015
Approval: 04-04-2015 Dated 27/03/2015
Ceremony: 15-04-2015

skilachi

Post by skilachi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:37 pm

tripping wrote:I submitted my citizenship application as Director of a Limited company and these were what I sent:

Call up HMRC to send your SA302 documents – these provide a detailed record of tax return figures. This will take up to 2 weeks. I know its asking for Self assessment for the last year, but I sent in all 5 years worth, did not want to take any chances.

Also you would have received official tax letters from HMRC to confirm your Self Assessment return, which is more a summary record of SA302. I would consider these to be additional documents if you want to be super careful, even the NCS person said its not necessary, but no harm in sending them in. Its the SA302 from HMRC that will have full details which will be of interest to caseworker.

I didnt send anything else for this employment section. Hope everything goes well for you.

Hi Tripping....Do you still have the HMRC contact number you called? I will be applying in 2-3weeks (Aug) as well and I'm the only Director of my Ltd Co.

What other docs did you submit? Any self Assessment/Tax ref etc? I've got an Accountant that does eveything.

Silvara11
Newly Registered

Post by Silvara11 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi all,
Have just received my British Citizenship and I wanted to reply to this post as it stressed me out when I read it.

I was self-employed for a year in 2009 and have since been employed at the same job now for several years. For ILR I had taken all my self employment filings as well as letter from my accountant which were reviewed prior to being granted ILR.

For citizenship I did NOT send any documentation in for my time as self employed as the NCS person I spoke to said they only cared about the last year and I had provided my PAYE/Tax Ref which was sufficient.

I have subsequently been approved for citizenship so I believe that the information in this post is incorrect, if you are NOT self employed in the 12 months prior to applying for citizenship you don't need to send in details of your tax filings from the time you were last self-employed.

Regards,
Silvara.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Silvara11 wrote:Hi all,
Have just received my British Citizenship and I wanted to reply to this post as it stressed me out when I read it.

I have subsequently been approved for citizenship so I believe that the information in this post is incorrect, if you are NOT self employed in the 12 months prior to applying for citizenship you don't need to send in details of your tax filings from the time you were last self-employed.

Regards,
Silvara.
Thanks for caring about members' nerves and blood pressure.

It appears the previous members were mislead by advice from the HO helpline.
A most unfortunate misunderstanding.

The current AN guide is quite clear:
Self-employed applicants
If you do not pay tax through Pay As You Earn (PAYE) arrangements, we require:
  • The most recent HM Revenue & Customs Self Assessment Statement of Account
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hanges.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.