ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born in Britain to non-British parents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

WeepNotChild
Newly Registered
Uganda

Born in Britain to non-British parents

Post by WeepNotChild » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Dear members. I have two friends born in London in 1994 and 1996 respectively to non-British, non-EU parents. The parents subsequently left after a couple of years when they were unable to secure residence as refugees.
Is there a way these friends of mine can apply for British citizenship?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Born in Britain to non-British parents

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:08 pm

WeepNotChild wrote:Dear members. I have two friends born in London in 1994 and 1996 respectively to non-British, non-EU parents. The parents subsequently left after a couple of years when they were unable to secure residence as refugees.
Is there a way these friends of mine can apply for British citizenship?
Yes, via marriage to a BC/ILR holder, five years on Work visa, or ten years legal stay, or 20 years any stay, and one others needing loads of cash of commonwealth ancestry from UK

Being born in UK does confer any right to live in UK I'm afraid.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:13 pm

As Wanderer has mentioned, 20 years of continuous stay in the UK could be used as a basis for applying for ILR (indefinite leave to remain), followed, after 10 years of continuous legal stay, by citizenship. Do you friends stay in the UK and if so, what is their status?

Birth in the UK after 1982 does not confer any rights to citizenship.

WeepNotChild
Newly Registered
Uganda

Post by WeepNotChild » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks to all those who replied.