ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Breaking News: Foreign student must leave UK, No work right

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

talkhome

Breaking News: Foreign student must leave UK, No work right

Post by talkhome » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Government is planning to announce further restriction on tier 4 students this coming week.

expected changes are as follows :

1. No work right at all
2. Foreign Student must leave the country after their course ends
3. Students will not be able to switch to tier 2 visa in country application
4. Stay of students at colleges would be restricted to 2 years.

Source: There are almost 28 articles published in the last few days on this. These changes has been confirmed through media sources and official announcement will be made this coming week.

https://news.google.com/news/story?ncl= ... CDcQqgIwAQ

confusedm
Newly Registered

Re: Breaking News: Foreign student must leave UK, No work ri

Post by confusedm » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Is this to be passed or already passed? And would it apply retrospectively to people with a Tier 4 already? (If they want to switch to Tier 2 later for example)

askhan

Post by askhan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Bad news, Seems it has already passed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -ends.html

I really doubt if they allow to change or extend any more.

Good Luck

THanks
AK
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56 pm

confusedm wrote:Is this to be passed or already passed?
No. This "news" story appears to be very flimsy.
confusedm wrote:And would it apply retrospectively to people with a Tier 4 already? (If they want to switch to Tier 2 later for example)
*If* the Tier 2 rules were changed to no longer allow Tier 4 applicants to switch in country, then yes it would affect any current Tier 4 migrant who was planning to do so.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

talkhome

Post by talkhome » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:21 pm

askhan wrote:Hi Guys,

Bad news, Seems it has already passed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -ends.html

I really doubt if they allow to change or extend any more.

Good Luck

THanks
AK
My understanding is that the new rules will hit hard to students who are currently studying at further education public funded Institute.

Government will officially announce before the end of this week.

Part of the restrictions (No right to work) will come into force from next month (August 2015) and rest (leave immediately after study,2 years maximum stay of those studying at public FE institutes and private colleges) will be in Autumn this year.

Home secretary has also proposed restricting the work rights of dependants of Postgraduate students. She has quoted that in the last 5 years over 100,000 visas were issued to student dependants so they need to bring this down by making it less attractive.

Since the PM has taken over immigration task force himself, we should expect significant changes in all areas of immigration.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... -crackdown

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Any upcoming changes to the Tier 4 rules will probably only affect FE students, in terms of work rights, time limit, progression. Some news stories today have given very misleading information.

There are likely to be some changes to maintenance rules soon too.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

anniej
Newly Registered

Post by anniej » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi

If I understand correctly, these proposed changes about no rights to work will only apply to students applying to study at any/all types of colleges and not those who will be applying to universities?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:50 pm

anniej
Newly Registered

Post by anniej » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Thank you! Pretty self-explanatory I think - except the part about new rates for maintainance. Will have to wait and see what the new requirements are.

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Ahh ok, so if I am a Masters student at a University these changes should not affect me then correct?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:34 pm

confusedm wrote:Ahh ok, so if I am a Masters student at a University these changes should not affect me then correct?
See the memo at the end of the Statement of Changes. There are some changes across the whole of Tier 4 (maintenance, academic progression), some that affect Tier 4 Child only, but the biggest changes (work rights, switching, extending, time limits) will affect Tier 4 students at further education colleges.

omarhowlader
Newly Registered

Post by omarhowlader » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Sorry, I am not very clear about this new rules. What is the new maintenance fund for Tier 4. I have completed Hons and planning to apply for masters at university in september. Is the reduced maintenance fund for established presence in the UK still available? Also does it say anything about bringing tier 4 dependants? Many newspapers said poatgrad students will not be able to bring dependants any more. It it true. Please someone clarify to me. Thank you.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:58 pm

All the Tier 4 changes are listed in plain English in the Explanatory Memorandum at the end of the document.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 pm

omarhowlader wrote:Many newspapers said poatgrad students will not be able to bring dependants any more. It it true.
Any link to these stories? I have not heard anything about this.

omarhowlader
Newly Registered

Post by omarhowlader » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:42 pm

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 495682.ece
Here is the news about tier 4 dependants..

askhan

Post by askhan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Looks like the agenda is to close student visa at all.
Kind Regard,
A.Khan

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:48 pm

omarhowlader wrote:Sorry, I am not very clear about this new rules. What is the new maintenance fund for Tier 4. I have completed Hons and planning to apply for masters at university in september. Is the reduced maintenance fund for established presence in the UK still available? Also does it say anything about bringing tier 4 dependants? Many newspapers said poatgrad students will not be able to bring dependants any more. It it true. Please someone clarify to me. Thank you.
It looks like whether you're applying for Tier 4 within or outside the UK you'll still have to show maintenance for the entire course or 9 months now. There's no more reduced maintenance requirements for established presence.

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 pm

sah10406 wrote:
confusedm wrote:Ahh ok, so if I am a Masters student at a University these changes should not affect me then correct?
See the memo at the end of the Statement of Changes. There are some changes across the whole of Tier 4 (maintenance, academic progression), some that affect Tier 4 Child only, but the biggest changes (work rights, switching, extending, time limits) will affect Tier 4 students at further education colleges.
Saw that, had posted prior to seeing the memo (couldn't make sense of all the notation stuff it was going on about!) Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:35 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:59 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tier ... es-changes

The government announced changes to the Immigration Rules on 13 July. Many of these affect Tier 4 of the points-based system.

The main changes will:
[...]
* stop Tier 4 dependants from taking a low or unskilled job, but allow them to take part-time or full-time skilled work (from the autumn)

This last bullet point is not even in the Statement of Changes!

askhan

Post by askhan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:19 pm

sah10406 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tier ... es-changes

The government announced changes to the Immigration Rules on 13 July. Many of these affect Tier 4 of the points-based system.

The main changes will:
[...]
* stop Tier 4 dependants from taking a low or unskilled job, but allow them to take part-time or full-time skilled work (from the autumn)

Spot On....what a find
Kind Regard,
A.Khan

inkamr
Newly Registered

Post by inkamr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:34 pm

sah10406 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tier ... es-changes

The main changes will:
[...]

Thanks for the update! It is a relief that they do not include skilled workers yet. I am on tier 4 dependant visa and waiting for RCoS allocation to switch to Tier 2. Good to know that I can continue working with my Tier 4 dep. untill being granted RCoS.

waiz89k

Post by waiz89k » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 am

What my understanding is that these new changes except progressive studies wont effect university students. please correct me if I am wrong??

BriKH
Newly Registered

Post by BriKH » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm just really confused as to who this affects and when. My Tier 4 visa expires 31 December, with an official ending course date of 31 August, however I am doing modifications for my thesis and have until 14 January to submit. Meanwhile I am working part time.

Does this essentially mean that I will have to leave 31st August and quit my part time job in August? Seems cruel, especially if I have already been granted 31st December as a date.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm

BriKH wrote:Does this essentially mean that I will have to leave 31st August and quit my part time job in August?
No.