ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Naturalisation queries

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:45 am

Hi,
As you all know the English language requirement are changing from 5 Nov 2015. My question is, the people who has already taken the English language test and have qualified for ILR on that basics, would it be compulsory for them to do any new proposed English language test by HO in order to fulfil the English language requirement for Naturalisation application if they are applying after 5 November 2015?

AN Form gives you the option to choose
"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013; "

But I am bit confused about the changes requirement. Can anybody please suggest
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Re: English language requirement from 5 Nov 2015

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:39 pm

UKBALoveStory wrote:Hi,
As you all know the English language requirement are changing from 5 Nov 2015. My question is, the people who has already taken the English language test and have qualified for ILR on that basics, would it be compulsory for them to do any new proposed English language test by HO in order to fulfil the English language requirement for Naturalisation application if they are applying after 5 November 2015?

AN Form gives you the option to choose
"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013; "

But I am bit confused about the changes requirement. Can anybody please suggest
I have asked the same question to the home office at this address:

KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

and got this reply:

Dear XYZ

As you have evidenced that you have met the requirements for your English language after October 2013, then you do not need to send this evidence again when applying for naturalisation.

You should tick this box on the application form
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

Kind regards

Gemma Parle
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office

However I would suggest you to ask by yourself as well, and post the answer here, so we all get more surety.
N/A

ALI97
Pakistan

Post by ALI97 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi everyone
I am in simililar situation and need clarification,Please answer obove query as this will help lot of people
Regarding
Ali

cool mind

Post by cool mind » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:40 pm

How will it effect the existing English language criteria and whether will it also disturb UK university master degree holders too??

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:14 am

Just to let u know i m in the same situation like you and
Confirmed from NCS that there is no need to do english test again if showed at the time of ILR. Just tick the box u met koll requirement after oct 2013.
All done
I am doing same.

Thnx
*The gravity*

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:34 pm

cool mind wrote:How will it effect the existing English language criteria and whether will it also disturb UK university master degree holders too??
There has been no intimation from HO that acceptable degrees (studied in English) will no longer be accepted; the November 2015 changes are all around ESOL & the secure English test.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:01 pm

noajthan wrote:There has been no intimation from HO that acceptable degrees (studied in English) will no longer be accepted; the November 2015 changes are all around ESOL & the secure English test.
I am slightly confused ...

How about the ones who have pased the A1 Test with an endresult of A2 Certificate in MAY 2014 !!
Is this still valid for the spouse visa application before 5th Nov 2015 ?!

Hope so!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Bucki wrote:I am slightly confused ...

How about the ones who have pased the A1 Test with an endresult of A2 Certificate in MAY 2014 !!
Is this still valid for the spouse visa application before 5th Nov 2015 ?!

Hope so!
Gov UK website is quite clear about the changes impacting ESOL:
From November 2015, you won’t be able to use ESOL qualifications as proof for settlement and citizenship applications.
Until then...
You can also prove your knowledge of English by having:

an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland - qualifications at Entry 1 or 2 won’t be accepted
See https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Bucki

Post by Bucki » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:51 pm

GREAT :)
the A2 Test is still valid by 5th November.
Will try to make the application in October.

According to this:
If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted as proof if it was one of the following:
previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register

You need to confirm your qualification with either a certificate or by checking that your results can be viewed online.
Does it mean, if she gets the visa considering the A2 test ; she can still use this one for her settlement after the 2.5 year or 5 year when applying for indefinit to remain in UK!?

or maybe by then, she will be required to pass an ENTRY 3 or higher TEST + Life in UK test!!

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Under current rules she will need to pass B1 level English + the Life in the UK test before applying for ILR at the 5 year stage.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

NCS and ceremony question

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, Is it possible to use different councils for NCS application (application checking and forwarding) and nationality ceremony for British citizenship?

Thanks

TheMouseReturns

Re: NCS and ceremony question

Post by TheMouseReturns » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes, and you don't need to live in either of the council areas as well.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:44 pm

TheMouseReturns wrote:Yes, and you don't need to live in either of the council areas as well.
if you don't mind, can I ask any reference for this information. Do you have any personal experience reflecting this?

vignezh

Post by vignezh » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:02 pm

You can submit your application through any NCS, but the citizenship ceremony will have to be done through the council where you live. I personally used Braintree NCS as it is easier to get to, but my ceremony is in Ipswich (under my council, but further away from where I live)

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:15 pm

My husband submitted his BC application through Brighton NCS and although he requested the same for his ceremony, he was given Eastbourne as the venue. Neither were our local council.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

fielddrive

Post by fielddrive » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:42 pm

TheMouseReturns wrote:Yes, and you don't need to live in either of the council areas as well.
+1

TheMouseReturns

Post by TheMouseReturns » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:28 am

UKBALoveStory wrote:
if you don't mind, can I ask any reference for this information. Do you have any personal experience reflecting this?
NCS: You can book this at any council that offers this service.
Ceremony: You can indicate your request on the AN form, which again can be any council. Whether or not this request is reflected in the council the HO send your certificate for the ceremony is a different matter.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Physical presence 5 years before

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:37 am

Sorry to hack someones else thread, but a relevant question.

What is the effective date of ILR. The date printed on the bio-metric card or the date your ILR is approved via PEO and you get the approval letter i.e. the date printed on the approval letter?

Thanks

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:11 pm

UKBALoveStory wrote:Sorry to hack someones else thread, but a relevant question.

What is the effective date of ILR. The date printed on the bio-metric card or the date your ILR is approved via PEO and you get the approval letter i.e. the date printed on the approval letter?

Thanks
Hi ,

Printed on BRP!
Thanks

Ali

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:25 pm

aliq09 wrote:
UKBALoveStory wrote:Sorry to hack someones else thread, but a relevant question.

Thanks
Hi ,

Printed on BRP!
Sorry, don't mind but do you any official reference to this?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation queries

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Either the date of letter or BRP. Most people use the BRP date to be on the safe side as the letter does not actually say 'ILR granted'
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Effective date of application is ncs appointment date?

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi guys,

Today, I called NCS Ayelsbury and they advised me that recently home office has changed the policy for NCS applicants and now the effective date of application will be ncs appointment date and not when the home office received the application.

She said that it is a recent development and they have not updated their website yet as their website still mention the old rule (http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/community/bir ... -checking/).

I am unable to find this anywhere on web.

So my question is

Has anybody else received the same advice from their local NCS?
is this advice correct?
Is there any other way of verifying this?

Thanks

Universal soldier
BANNED

Re: Effective date of application is ncs appointment date?

Post by Universal soldier » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Call again same line and ask that is he a really ncs advisor because date of application is when ukba receive application and they don't care either ncs sent or you yourself. NCS does accept appointment before completing 12 months and continue to hold then send once 12 months finished.

TheMouseReturns

Post by TheMouseReturns » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Page 18 of the Guide AN (October 2015):
The date of application will be the date your form is received by the Home Office, Nationality Checking Service or the local British government representative as shown above. It is not the date on which you send it.
The inclusion of NCS is new in the October guide compared to the July guide. The guide was added to the gov website on 28 October.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Universal soldier wrote:Call again same line and ask that is he a really ncs advisor because date of application is when ukba receive application and they don't care either ncs sent or you yourself. NCS does accept appointment before completing 12 months and continue to hold then send once 12 months finished.
Not any longer. :|
(Casa, not CR001)